Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Chadd: Haha...yeah, I'm a sucker for trying new things. Of course, aren't we all trying to gain any little edge we can? I assume most folks posting on a message board called "Mod Squad Hockey" are into trying all different kinds of gear and other innovations in hockey.

Ok, two more games and a practice with the local college club team under my belt wearing the Mako 2s. Got a nice blister on my right foot after skating with the college kids. I think what happened is that I had loosened my laces a little after my game that I had right before the practice, and that allowed my wet foot to get rubbed raw. It's on the inside of my foot, just above the arch. I'm also having three other slight issues: the balls of my feet feeling a lot of pressure, one of my toes on my left foot rubbing the inside of the toe cap (which is funny, since it seemed like I was going to have trouble with the toes on my right foot before I actually skated in them), and an old toe injury flaring up again on my right foot. I'm thinking that a little more arch support will help, so I added some material to the arch area of my footbeds, like I had done with my RBZs. I don't have really high arches, but with the forward pitch of these skates, it seems as though I'm really on my toes a lot, thus having some issues with the front of my foot. Hopefully a different blade profile will help a little there, too.

What are some of you other folks rocking the Mako 2s doing, blade profile-wise? Seems to me that somewhere in this thread there was mention of going will less forward pitch on the blades.

Just saying that three different profiles is pushing the limits of what could be beneficial. Four? It seems like it's just a matter of doing one more because you can.

It sounds like you need to bake the skates again, pushing out the areas that are causing discomfort. I would just put a couple layers of moleskin on the parts of your foot that are having issues, then put a sock over them before putting your foot into the heated boot. It should result in those areas being pushed out enough to reduce or prevent pain.

Does any know why CXN runners have become so hard to find? All the usual suspects are out of the size that I need (280mm). I would rather not go to Step due to the fact that I would have to have them profiled to get them the same pitch (from what I hear).

Just saying that three different profiles is pushing the limits of what could be beneficial. Four? It seems like it's just a matter of doing one more because you can.

It sounds like you need to bake the skates again, pushing out the areas that are causing discomfort. I would just put a couple layers of moleskin on the parts of your foot that are having issues, then put a sock over them before putting your foot into the heated boot. It should result in those areas being pushed out enough to reduce or prevent pain.

It is hard for those who don't understand the complexities of radius to grasp how multiple radius on a runner can work to improve performance. It's not just putting another radius on the runner because you can. Having said that, multiple radius are not for everyone, but they do work well for some, depends of a lot of factors. More radius doesn't automatically mean better. I rarely recommend a QUAD unless I feel it is perfectly matched for that individual skater.

Does any know why CXN runners have become so hard to find? All the usual suspects are out of the size that I need (280mm). I would rather not go to Step due to the fact that I would have to have them profiled to get them the same pitch (from what I hear).

I checked for size 5 runners and can't find any in stock. I've been using step steel but the cxns are pretty good too.

maybe when they drop the mako name there will be a new holder and runner?

I checked for size 5 runners and can't find any in stock. I've been using step steel but the cxns are pretty good too.

maybe when they drop the mako name there will be a new holder and runner?

Do you have info that they are discontinuing the Mako line? If so, do you know if the concepts will be carried through to another skate?

Do you have info that they are discontinuing the Mako line? If so, do you know if the concepts will be carried through to another skate?

Yes and yes.

I keep wondering if they'll do as Mission did by offering two different lines for two different buyers:

1. Synergy as a more traditional skate to compete with Bauer ski boot stiffness, cut, and classic RazorBladz holder.

2. Stealth on CXN's as a Mako 3 with a slightly more aggressive cut to compete more directly with VH. That could be very interesting.

The manufacturing of the Makos seems to bring them back to the same area as the original Synergy models, and though the Makos have had some defects and manufacturing weaknesses, their durability still seems to have faired better with everyday use. Perhaps now they could use their new improved manufacturing and apply it to the old concept and have two complimentary options.

It was in the 2015 Easton catalogue thread and it's more than anecdotal considering it was JR that said a new skate will be released that won't carry the Mako name. JR is a manager at a major chain store and has strong connections within the industry. He likely knows more than what he's said so far, but to keep his strong relationships with manufacturers won't release further details until he's given the green light.

I was considering the Mako M7 but my LHS doesn't have any in 6.5EE. Can't even find a Mako II or M8 anywhere locally to see if I like the fit and boot. Along my stops I did see the x100 for $370 and did like them. Are the M7's going to be worth the wait for a similar price or should I scoop the x100's? Really wish there was a Mako in my size to make a decisive decision.

It is hard for those who don't understand the complexities of radius to grasp...

Could you be more condescending?

I was considering the Mako M7 but my LHS doesn't have any in 6.5EE. Can't even find a Mako II or M8 anywhere locally to see if I like the fit and boot. Along my stops I did see the x100 for $370 and did like them. Are the M7's going to be worth the wait for a similar price or should I scoop the x100's? Really wish there was a Mako in my size to make a decisive decision.

X100's are "2nd" tier skates, M7's are 3rd. If the x100's fit and are the right stiffness for you, then they are the better value by far.

So I've been contemplating swapping out cxn's for tuuks for a while. Finally did it today - really wish that I would have done this earlier. The difference for me was night and day, and after maybe 10 mins of adjusting my skating was back to the best its ever been. I had been making excuses why my skating hasnt been so good - because I dont play as much anymore, etc. I could not have been more wrong. Even just standing on them in my house before taking them on the ice I felt much better. Not sure if my top speed is any better or worse, but overall agility and backwards skating is 100x better.

Just my 2 cents. If you have any questions Ill answer them.

Hey fellas,

If there is anything I've noticed lurking around here the past few years - this thread is always somewhere near the top. Are these skates really that amazing? I never hear about them at the rink, or have even seen someone wearing a pair - but around here they get all the hype. Currently skate in Bauer X7.0s and have never really loved them. I can't really tie them too tight or it kills my arch... but with them as loose as I need, my toes just jam into the front fighting on boards, or my heel lock stinks. Looking to pick up my next pair of skates around Christmas.

I see a few posts up about a new Easton model and the potential end of the Mako 2. If you were buying in December, would you wait to see whats next or hop on the Mako 2?

Thanks!

Jim

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

Yes they are THAT good. Don't let the poor adoption rate sway you... People just don't know what they're missing.

I wouldn't wait, personally. Who knows when the next iteration is coming out.

Yes they are THAT good. Don't let the poor adoption rate sway you... People just don't know what they're missing.

I wouldn't wait, personally. Who knows when the next iteration is coming out.

Well I am done getting the popular skates that kill my feet. Last two pairs have been Bauer RX60 for roller followed by X7.0 for ice (I know... basically same skate). I really look forward to trying these on.

Only knock I have seen was durability on the first generation - safe to assume thats been fixed?

Yea, I haven't seen nearly as many complaints with the 2. I've never had durability issues with the Mako 1 that I've had since they were still full retail price, whenever that was. But I'm probably not as hard on skates as some.

Tough to get through everything in this thread - but it looks like the benefit is better feel on feet than most skates, and great forward flex while also allowing for good support?

It's mostly the fit. They feel like tennis shoes.

I've had mine for a year now only bake them once when I first got them. So the other night I decided to bake them again at home. I followed the MLX video had the oven at 200 and the morning each side for eight minutes. 16 minutes total. Pinched the ankle area to get better heel lock. Forgot how mold able these are. Can't wait to try them.

Hey fellas,

If there is anything I've noticed lurking around here the past few years - this thread is always somewhere near the top. Are these skates really that amazing? I never hear about them at the rink, or have even seen someone wearing a pair - but around here they get all the hype. Currently skate in Bauer X7.0s and have never really loved them. I can't really tie them too tight or it kills my arch... but with them as loose as I need, my toes just jam into the front fighting on boards, or my heel lock stinks. Looking to pick up my next pair of skates around Christmas.

I see a few posts up about a new Easton model and the potential end of the Mako 2. If you were buying in December, would you wait to see whats next or hop on the Mako 2?

Thanks!

Jim

Not many design changes can be made to skates designed off the speed skate model. Other than changing liner or tongue, or minor cosmetic details, you are going to see a similar skate when new models come out. Kor, MLX, VH and easton all have similar fit and performance aspects which skates of this construction I think we'll always be seeing in the future.

^I'd like to know if there's an estimated date on that as well. I'm in the 1's now and they're just about ready for retirement.

Also, has anyone here had experience with going from Curv to Mako and back to Curv? I skated in One100s (loved), One.9s (liked), and NXGs (hated). I switched to Mako and I've been in them for a year. Loved them until a few weeks ago when they started feeling very soft and causing pretty severe aching in my ankles. If anyone here has made that transition, how was it? What was the hardest part about going back to Curv?