Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Just for those that have Mako's... my tendon guard on my Mako2 snapped the other day.. no damage, but decided to crack halfway through so it was floppy and cut into the back of my heel. No problem I thought, as these guards can be unbolted. I contacted Easton support and offered to buy new guards (boots are about a year old and not expecting warranty coverage). The told me flat out that they couldn't be replaced and that they couldn't help me any further. Just something to be aware off if you have them.. Fortunately my LHS (TheHockeyShop) in Vancouver is absolutely awesome and is helping me out way more than I expected..

That really blows. Maybe you can keep a look out for a cheap pair on eBay to use for parts.

hey guys need a little mako help. I misplaced my skate key for my mako 2 is there anywhere is i could get another one or a size i could look for at the hardware store?

Not sure on the size, but the screw type is called a Robertson head (the square hole). You can probably just take the screw with you to the store and see what fits unless someone else here knows the exact size.

There's a chance Bauer could carry the design into a new product under their name, so they have a 4th skate offering for those of us who don't fit into any of the current Bauer offerings very well. I know I tried on 1X's and the length felt okay, but the boot overall felt more volumous than my old Vapor's ever did. I knew that if a 1X felt too big, than an MX3 would, too.

Mako's were the only boot available that gave me that total heel lock, and had almost no negative space left in the boot.

Hopefully they will rebrand it under some new product line, and Bauer would have something like, "2X, "2S", "2N" and "2K" where K is the Mako design. Market it as the ultimate in energy transfer technology with maximum agility and turning radius, blahblahblah.

Seems like CCM did this with the "CCM RibCor 50k", which seems essentially the same as the Reebok, with a few minor changes and a slightly new appearance.

I highly doubt Bauer will add a 4th skate line. In my personal opinion, it would not be an economically sound decision. The incremental sales would be minimal and not justify the expenses.

I suspect either the Mako is dead, or they could potentially replace the Nexus line with a Mako flavoured design. Pretty sure Nexus skates don't sell all that well in comparison to Vapor and Supreme.

I have no inside knowledge and this is just my personal speculations.

• Like 1

Well, in my opinion... Bauer wouldn't buy Easton just to eliminate competition. I have not looked at the sales numbers recently, but I would wager that Bauer kicks Easton's butt in every single hockey equipment category, especially in the skate department. If you ask anybody who owns the Mako skate who came from almost any other mainstream brand, I would bet they like the fit and feel of the Mako better; I know I certainly do. So in my view, the only reason Bauer would want the rights to Easton hockey IP is to utilize their technology, which is the most "groundbreaking" in the skate department. Maybe not a 4th line (I would love that) but maybe some significant changes to their current models based on what's in the Mako now.

Bauer could market a pile of horse crap, and it would sell like crazy as long as NHLers were in it, and they could convince kids/parents that they have to have it. So if they just carried over the Mako skate with no real changes other than a new name and new logo... That's a pretty low cost option.

Custom will always be better :)

I mean lots of room in the toe box. Nothing at all to do with the cuff of the boot.

More above the toes, but just in general for the whole skate. It's not a problem for me so much as just a comment noting that I thought the Mako was amazing fitting until I tried the VH, which was just that much better. That's all I'm saying. Both of them are infinitely better for me than anything else I've ever tried on.

This is interesting for if VH were to reintroduce a stock offering: if that kept the velcro-attached tongue you'd still have the option of adjustable fit above the toes, so you wouldn't really even need the custom VH to make for the difference you feel there.

The beauty with the extremely thermoformable boots is the adaptability of a stock skate. It's already essentially custom or at least semi-custom.

If Bauer releases a skate with the Mako's thermomoldable tech, then I will be buying my first pair of Bauer skates since 2005. If they don't....over to VH is where I'll go.

Can't say just how disappointed I am we won't be seeing the release of the next skate, which I would venture was named "GX". Now that Easton skates are done, I wonder if anyone actually got to see the skate design or in person. Would've been cool to see.

Oh well, stocking on skates for now.

The purchase really has be bummed out. Just dropped 800 on skates that were discontinued like 10 days later. I feel lucky to have gotten a pair but worry about availability of parts in the near future, like replacement tendon guards.

My worry legit or do most guys never have to replace anything and I can rock these new beauties for a few years without manufacturer backing?

They're both related to the skate. I think the other thread is more business oriented.

Jimmy, I haven't had to replace tendon guards on either of my Mako skates. The guys that have are very very uncommon cases, as far as I've seen.

I think you should still be covered ok having the Makos probably for another couple of years, at least until all of the spare parts and excess inventories are depleted. It isn't like they're tossing all the Mako stuff into the incinerator.

Is there any way to get the two Square drive runner tools replaced? I'm searching all over and can't find any. I've somehow misplaced them and want to put new steel in. Otherwise I have to scavenge at the local hardware store to see if they have something that will work. I know they make some screw drivers, but I'm not sure if that will offer enough torque.

I've been ignoring this thread forever since I haven't been in the market for new skates but I am starting to do some research and eyeing up the M8 or M7s as a possibility. Do the Makos happen to have a similar fit of the old Nike Quest skates? I remember them feeling very anatomical with little negative space and they are still probably one of the best pairs of skates I've ever had.

I've been ignoring this thread forever since I haven't been in the market for new skates but I am starting to do some research and eyeing up the M8 or M7s as a possibility. Do the Makos happen to have a similar fit of the old Nike Quest skates? I remember them feeling very anatomical with little negative space and they are still probably one of the best pairs of skates I've ever had.

Yeah. I have basically zero negative space. Now is the time with Easton skates future up in the air. Rumor had it Total Hockey stores gave mako 2s on sale for 400.

Yeah. I have basically zero negative space. Now is the time with Easton skates future up in the air. Rumor had it Total Hockey stores gave mako 2s on sale for 400.

Damn, might have to make a few calls this week to see who has inventory in the area so I can check them out. Thanks.

When do you guys think we might get positive (or negative) confirmation from Bauer regarding the fate of the Mako skate? I am really tempted to buy another pair of Mako 2's on sale, just to have in case my current pair breaks down and there's no other skate on the market that fits me as well.

What are the odds that Bauer would keep the design, but rebrand it like CCM did with the RibCor? I know that Mako sales were much lower than Vapors, but people like me with very narrow, low volume feet pretty much have no other option but Mako. We could get custom VH's but that's very pricey. A Mako hidden in a Bauer skin might sell better since I'm sure there's a bunch of people who settled into Vapors who really belonged in something a little bit more narrow, but anatomical.

Yes I know, but they are much heavier than Mako's and almost impossible to find in stock in retail stores. Hockey Monkey Norwood did not have any 703's in stock at all.

When do you guys think we might get positive (or negative) confirmation from Bauer regarding the fate of the Mako skate? I am really tempted to buy another pair of Mako 2's on sale, just to have in case my current pair breaks down and there's no other skate on the market that fits me as well.

It will be weeks or months before plans for the Easton lines are made public. I would pick up another pair of makos on deep discount and prepare for the worst.

What are the odds that Bauer would keep the design, but rebrand it like CCM did with the RibCor? I know that Mako sales were much lower than Vapors, but people like me with very narrow, low volume feet pretty much have no other option but Mako. We could get custom VH's but that's very pricey. A Mako hidden in a Bauer skin might sell better since I'm sure there's a bunch of people who settled into Vapors who really belonged in something a little bit more narrow, but anatomical.

Unfortunately I think the future of mako does not look good in Bauer Hand. There is no doubt that the technology is great as well as the performance but the price the average player pays for it scares many away. Don't forget when it came to the Ribcore line and CCM it had a huge following plus CCM wanted to have three different lines to compete with Bauer's three lines.

However I don't think Baier is going to scrap the technology. What may happen and again just taking a shot in the dark is that Bauer some how introduces the technology from the Makos into one of there current lines which would probably be the Vapors if I had to guess.