Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Pure spitballing here, but I'd be shocked if Bauer adopted the Mako skate more or less wholesale into its lineup. Bauer has 3 well-established lines and there is no real reason for them to start a 4th, especially for a skate with a dedicated but small following and that had virtually no market impact at all. I love my Mako's but let's be honest, I only ever saw one other person in a pair and we kind of looked at each other like we didn't believe it.

There has been some speculation that maybe the Nexus would get replaced by the Mako, but I think that is pure wishful thinking. I'd wager that the Nexus has sold way better than the Mako (even if that's much less than the Vapors and Supremes).

My guess is that the Mako will cease to exist and the current stock of Mako's and Mako 2's is all that we will ever see of the overall design again. I think at best Bauer will adapt some of the features/technologies they like from the Mako skate and a few years down the road we may be looking at Bauer's latest lineups and see bits and pieces of Mako inspiration quietly sprinkled here and there.

I went ahead and bought a pair of Mako 2's on discount myself.

Edited by Vuronov

I think the biggest thing Bauer could do if they were going to cannibalize the Easton skate technology, is to make the toe box anatomical. Nobody's foot is shaped like a "U" and ends up leaving negative space or cramped/squished toes. The extreme mold-ability of the skate was a huge plus, too.

I think the biggest thing Bauer could do if they were going to cannibalize the Easton skate technology, is to make the toe box anatomical. Nobody's foot is shaped like a "U" and ends up leaving negative space or cramped/squished toes. The extreme mold-ability of the skate was a huge plus, too.

The toe box, the heat mold-ability and the fact that it isn't a ski boot are the biggest plusses for me.

Over here the Makos were actually pretty popular. I don't know if that's because there isn't as much pros-using-what visibility in Denmark in particular, or what exactly. The U15 team I've been coaching has two guys in them and pretty much every other team we've played has had at least two or three but even up to five or six skaters in Makos. It seemed like it was doing well here, especially for being in only its second year.

• Like 1

What are you guys doing when the mesh tears on the boot? Got stepped on during my first skate in my new skates.

I was a little worried about the durability of that area. Sucks that it happened on your first use. Interested to see a pic.

What are you guys doing when the mesh tears on the boot? Got stepped on during my first skate in my new skates.

To me the rubbery mesh seems more for looks. The structure of the skate comes from the material under it. I wouldent be too worried about it.

Tried on a pair of 8.5D not baked. Tied them up and walked around a bit. The balls of my feet started to hurt. I presume some of this is from the aggressive pitch but still seemed a bit tight. Should I give the 8.5EE a try or should be fine after the bake with the 8.5D. That's the size I'm in now

I'm sure he meant no attitude by it (ok, not much :-P).

Point is, as he referred to the previous posts in this thread, you essentially can't really get an accurate sense of fit on your foot without baking the skate.

I get that you mentioned the LHS won't bake them for you, which is a disservice to you on their part. The Mako's are made to be baked multiple times and it's the only real way to get a sense of how they will actually fit on your foot. If they won't let you try them baked, then other than a leap of faith, you won't really know what "fits" you. Any sense you get by just walking around in an unbaked pair won't really mean anything.

I will say this though, I wore 7.5D CCMs and then Reeboks and happily wear a 7.5D in Makos (though I might have been able to wear a 7.0D). I have a relatively wide forefoot and otherwise unremarkable foot, plus flat feed. That's just me though, so YMMV.

Best of luck to you though, they are GREAT skates and I love mine.

Edited by Vuronov