Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

If they're only a bit tight with some mild pressure then the D width should be fine after a bake as the Makos are very responsive to heat. If they feel like your foot is being squeezed by a vice then you might want to go with the wider size. I have them in EE myself, but have a very wide forefoot and need EE in most brands. If you usually wear a D in most skates then you'll likely need a D in Makos as well.

Tried on a pair of 8.5D not baked. Tied them up and walked around a bit. The balls of my feet started to hurt. I presume some of this is from the aggressive pitch but still seemed a bit tight. Should I give the 8.5EE a try or should be fine after the bake with the 8.5D. That's the size I'm in now

Stay with the D width.

Tried on a pair of 8.5D not baked. Tied them up and walked around a bit. The balls of my feet started to hurt. I presume some of this is from the aggressive pitch but still seemed a bit tight. Should I give the 8.5EE a try or should be fine after the bake with the 8.5D. That's the size I'm in now

How did the heel feel? If you felt you had really good heel lock, but it was just a hair tight on the width, then go with the D and bake. If it still feels a touch tight, that may loosen up with more break-in of the skate, and if all else, you can have the boot stretched to a EE forefoot width, essentially. Not sure about Makos, but most EE skates are wider all around, not just forefoot, so it may affect the heel lock.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

@grindr28 - INSIST to your LHS that they are baked before you buy. If they know anything about the Mako's, then they'd know these skates can be baked many times. So far, I've baked mine 5 different times to achieve a literal air tight lock on my foot, and the boot is fine.

If the hell lock is good, go with D width. Like others have said, you can always punch the boot out around the forefoot to make it more comfortable. I had to do this on both feet where my 5th met bone is, because mine protrudes rather far.

Mako gurus: need some advice and yes, there are many stores out there that will not bake before sale. I have read all 116 pages of this thread over 2 months - prolly forgot some of it - ha, but still a little fuzzy on one issue -- Do you gain any LENGTH with bake/breakin?

I am only concerned about length - I know width will be good based on all of the reviews. My foot fits in an unbaked Mako II 6D (tried it on) but my toes curl just a little bit at end against toe cap (it is not "feather" it is little bit of curl - if I am not going to gain just a bit of length with bake/breakin, I think I would need to move to 6.5. Everywhere else on foot tight but like I said, only worried about length and since my foot fits inside boot pre-bake, I know width will work out with baking.

I measure exactly at 6.0 on Easton-brand Brannock sizing device, and 6.5 on Bauer-brand Brannock sizing device, if that is any help. In any other skate I know I'd probably move to 6.5 under the fitting circumstances described above, but if anything is clear from this thread it is that Mako is a different animal (sadly soon to be extinct).

$6M Question: Will I gain ANY LENGTH with the bake/breakin such that 6.0D is my size and go with it, or do I need to go 6.5? I like tight fitting skates but do not want toe curl.

Thanks, first post. Great site and thread -

Mako gurus: need some advice and yes, there are many stores out there that will not bake before sale. I have read all 116 pages of this thread over 2 months - prolly forgot some of it - ha, but still a little fuzzy on one issue -- Do you gain any LENGTH with bake/breakin?

I am only concerned about length - I know width will be good based on all of the reviews. My foot fits in an unbaked Mako II 6D (tried it on) but my toes curl just a little bit at end against toe cap (it is not "feather" it is little bit of curl - if I am not going to gain just a bit of length with bake/breakin, I think I would need to move to 6.5. Everywhere else on foot tight but like I said, only worried about length and since my foot fits inside boot pre-bake, I know width will work out with baking.

I measure exactly at 6.0 on Easton-brand Brannock sizing device, and 6.5 on Bauer-brand Brannock sizing device, if that is any help. In any other skate I know I'd probably move to 6.5 under the fitting circumstances described above, but if anything is clear from this thread it is that Mako is a different animal (sadly soon to be extinct).

$6M Question: Will I gain ANY LENGTH with the bake/breakin such that 6.0D is my size and go with it, or do I need to go 6.5? I like tight fitting skates but do not want toe curl.

Thanks, first post. Great site and thread -

Edit: 6.5D was not available to try on. 5.5D too small.

Will I gain ANY LENGTH with the bake/breakin such that 6.0D is my size and go with it, or do I need to go 6.5? I like tight fitting skates but do not want toe curl.

I never count on length while baking. Every skate I've run that gamble on, I curled my toes for the next year. The solid plastic toe cup and carbon fiber heel (whatever they call it) at the rear of the skates makes the front and back non-moldable. Now - the liner/padding within the heel does form some, but if you are toe curling, thats not going to stop.

Your toenail grazing the front ever so slightly, maybe, but the toe actually banging up against the front... I'd go a half size up.

-Jim

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

Yeah. I have basically zero negative space. Now is the time with Easton skates future up in the air. Rumor had it Total Hockey stores gave mako 2s on sale for 400.

It's not a rumor. It's fact.

Those aforementioned managers who didn't know about it were guys who are at the converted Players Bench stores, and seem to still be struggling with our procedures.

Could someone who put tukk holders on there mako 2 boots pm me I have a couple questions.thanks!

Not Mako2's, but the original mako's, so it should be about the same. Sent you a PM.

nVJzM0i.jpg?1

• Like 1

Just got a pair of 2s for half price. Thanks total hockey!! The box says 10 min at 200 but I swear I saw somewhere that for non easton ovens it's 6 min at 200. Just getting a second opinion. And should I really tie them tight to get a closer fit or just regular?

Did they make one but never actually sell it/bring it to market? I just watched an Easton mako fit video where they reference and show one. Same with an Easton baking instructions card mentioning 10 min in Easton oven but 6 in other brands.

• Like 1

Interesting. Was never told there was such an oven, nor was told 6 minutes.

The skate originally started out with 15 minutes at 200º but they then changed down to 10 minutes. Unless that Easton oven ran at 180º...

I believe the Easton Mako skate fitting video calls for 10 minutes at 200 degrees in an Easton oven. For all other ovens reduce the time to 6 minutes. I'm not sure why you would reduce the time to 6 minutes if you were using a non Easton skate oven. Perhaps they're advising such in an abundance of caution for those that would use their kitchen oven.

• Like 1

When I was having fitment issues my case got passed around a bit and landed with the Easton skate R&D guys. They had me go 15 mins in a standard skate oven and made a passing comment they could handle even more. They were extremely soft after 15 so I couldent imagine doing it longer.

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

I got a pair of "used once" 2's off ebay as future replacements for my regular Makos. Now that I've baked them, I'm tempted to just start wearing them instead lol.

Edited by Vuronov

So I was grappling with the length issue and went back with a super thin skating sock and spent considerable time trying on 6 and 6.5. I think 6 will be the right answer.

But I have another problem. My knees apparently cannot handle the forward pitch, as four hours later I was in UrgentCare and hardly able to walk. I play 3 times a week so not like I'm not used to being in skates, but I'm 45 and spent probably 1.5 hrs in the skates at the store walking around, flexing forward into skating position, sitting, etc. My left knee was barking up a storm louder than Puppy-Monkey-Baby. Doc said those skates are definitely not for you - stay with what works.

But I'm thinking the boots ARE for me, I just need to either profile or change holders. Much discussion above about TUUK compatibility.

I think I'd like to throw CCM Speedblade +4.0 holders on the Mako boots. Anyone done this before and or know if holes will line up? Thx

Edit: clarification - throw CCM holders on Mako II boots, not original Mako

Edited by BruinsAllTheWay