Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I had the mako bumps problem in both my Mako 1 and Mako II's (however strangely enough not in my M8s).. All I did though was heat up the back area of the top of the boot, with a pair of pliers, I flared out the both of the rubbing bits (just by the guard), put a baseball in, and clamped it down so it flared out the top of the boot.. Clamped the ankle area together to prevent it from getting wider, left it overnight. No more bumps... :-) Just permanent scars now!

Edited by RickDC

13 minutes ago, RickDC said:

I had the mako bumps problem in both my Mako 1 and Mako II's (however strangely enough not in my M8s).. All I did though was heat up the back area of the top of the boot, with a pair of pliers, I flared out the both of the rubbing bits (just by the guard), put a baseball in, and clamped it down so it flared out the top of the boot.. Clamped the ankle area together to prevent it from getting wider, left it overnight. No more bumps... :-) Just permanent scars now!

I wish that always worked :(

Finally got my M7's, probably the best skate I will ever buy for under 200$. I was afraid from all the comments that it is a softer skate, but is definitely stiffer than the Mako 1s, and as stiff as the Mako 2. Not a skate for everyone, the low volume boot and the super thick tongue will give you trouble if you have anything over low volume feet. Very lightweight too, only 40 grams or so heavier than the Mako 1. 

HM just restocked all sizes in M7 and M8's.

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

What would be the best way to get some more heel lock in the M8 model? Can I just take a heat gun to the back and press in? Or is there a better way. I need wide skates for my forefoot and these are the best skates I've ever had, but I have some heel wobble I'd like to get rid of. I've ordered the heel pad things above as well to see if that helps.

The mako is a wide skate?

Remove the tendon guard, heat gun heel area gently, then pinch the area with a towel and your fingers, stop when you are satisfied, you will see how much narrower itll get. Place in freezer for 15min. 

1 hour ago, icewalker_bg said:

Remove the tendon guard, heat gun heel area gently, then pinch the area with a towel and your fingers, stop when you are satisfied, you will see how much narrower itll get. Place in freezer for 15min. 

Actually, the heel can be pretty wide as it opens up with baking.  I have a fairly wide heel (wide foot overall) and I have issues with heel lock as well.  It's particularly bad this time of year with the heat since they get so darn wet and my feet start sloshing around after 30-45 min.  Still, best skate there is.  Anyway, my point was, I have a wide heel and the Mako II can be a bit sloppy for me as well.

4 hours ago, smcgreg said:

Lucky you ;-)

Try my suggestion above, it works wonders, you can squeeze the rear to make it narrower or even work it with your hand to make a better wrap and contour around the rear of your ankles, its super easy. 

2 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

Try my suggestion above, it works wonders, you can squeeze the rear to make it narrower or even work it with your hand to make a better wrap and contour around the rear of your ankles, its super easy. 

Well, I've tried everything. .... literally. My Mako IIs are Frakenskates right now and fantastic for my feet.  It took me a while to get mine dialed in and I've had Makos or Mako IIs since two weeks after they came out ... what, 3 or 4 yrs ago.  My point was simply that I can see pretty much anyone (narrow or wide heel) having heel lock issues since the heels open up so much with baking.  As you should probably know, unlike other skates, these are not really foot type specific.  That means, whatever the type of foot, they can fit you, but at the same time, whatever the type of foot, you can have issues as well. I'll be buying two pairs (M8 and MII) to carry my through the next 5 years as Easton disappears and cross my fingers that Bauer will incorporate the technology, at least moldability, if nothing else.  Ironically, probably the greatest innovation MLX had, the adjustable holders, didn't even carry over to the Makos, so, I'm not holding my breath. 

**edit: the other point I was making was, although I don't have heel lock issues when I step on the ice, after skating a while (especially now with this heat and humidity) I do have them since the skates get so damn wet and my heels slip a bit.  Still, all in all, a nit picky problem. 

Edited by smcgreg

On 7/24/2016 at 9:10 PM, icewalker_bg said:

I purchased a wide skate, as in a skate sized 9EE due to my forefoot. This obviously opens up the heel. I'll try your suggestion. Should I heat with my foot in?

Edited by ccarrigan

Anyone else having issues with their rivets rusting out on the makos? I dry my skates after every game then pull the footbeds out and hang up side down but my rivets are still rusting and coming loose.

Howdy,

Boy, I keep looking at these Mako M8's for such a great price....

Can anyone comment on how they compare size-wise to CCM Ribcors?  Curious about all facets.... Length, width, and volume.  I currently wear an 8D CCM Ribcor.  My toes don't brush the endcap, and Easton's chart has a general recommendation for a size 9.5 shoe (what I typically wear in sneakers) to use an 8.0 skate.  Width-wise, my foot seems to be sorta wide in front and narrow in the back... I have to pump up the Ribcors a decent bit (maybe 10+ pumps?) to lock in my heel but the side of my foot just behind the little toe and the big toe rub the boot hard enough that I've got bumps forming there.  Volume on the Ribcors seems fine.  I use Superfeet Yellows.  Regular white athletic socks.

About a year ago I had a set of entry level Easton Stealth in a 7.5D and my feet hurt a lot, under the arch of my foot.  I then went to a set of entry level CCM Tacks in an 8D and initially had foot pain, but it got better over time, particularly when I switched to skating barefoot.

Appreciate any advice on how the fits for the Makos would compare!

Mark

Anyone having problems with numb toes from their Makos? I have new M8’s. Throughout a game, my toes get progressively more painful and numb to the point near the end of the game I can barely even put any pressure on them. The skates feel great when I lace them up, snug but not at all tight and I don’t feel any pressure points at all. The last time I played I did not tighten the skates much at all, except the top 3 eyelets. I’ve baked them twice and even punched out the sides a bit using a heat gun. Although, like I stated, I don’t feel any excessive pressure anywhere on my feet. I never feel any pain at all, just numb toes! I did the “pencil” test, and my foot does stick up slightly above the eyelets at the 3rd one from the bottom, because I do have small bone spurs on the top of my feet halfway down each foot. If I remove the footbed, it doesn’t stick up. I absolutely love these skates, but if this continues I’ll need to find something else. Maybe they just need to be broken in more? I’ve only skated on them about 5 times, and only twice in a game. Maybe thinner socks? I’m using Stable 26 now. If anyone out there has had this problem and found a solution I would love to hear from you!

@PFraser do you have room in your toe box, especially above the toes? It sounds like maybe POWERFOOT inserts might help. Toe pain is something they're designed to alleviate. On the one hand, Makos have much less height in the toe box than other boots, on the other, the range of motion inherent to the Mako line might be activating your feet in ways they're not used to and a little more support to snug in nicely might help. I'm not an expert on Makos, so it's just a bricolage of bits I've observed scattered across MSH. Hope someone or something can help definitively.

@PFraser If you have numb toes then there's either nerve pain or your tying your Mako's too tight. One thing with Mako's is you don't need to because their wrap is so good (I'm a long term Mako user). Just do them tight enough so there's no movement in the laces, don't yank on them.. The other thing I do is miss the second eyelet from the top and go straight from 3rd to 1st.

The other thing you could try, which has helped me in the past, is superfeets, it will move your foot slightly in the boot, and it might be enough to alleviate some of the pressure. You can re-bake the makos when you change the footbed...