Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Howdy,

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I bought the locks from... HockeyMonkey, I think? I can't remember if it was HM or IW. Either way, you can just buy them loose.

Huh.  I'm actually not finding any anywhere.  I've seen some "out of stock" things and google shows a deleted listing on hockey monkey.  Anyone know where they're available today?

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Huh.  I'm actually not finding any anywhere.  I've seen some "out of stock" things and google shows a deleted listing on hockey monkey.  Anyone know where they're available today?

Mark

https://www.purehockey.com/reebok-hockey-skate-lock-eyelet-4-pack-2014

These are actually pretty nice because I'd only been able to find them in white previously. 

Does anyone know the stock profile on M8s? (I assume the whole line is the same)

I felt a little off in my first skate, but I wasn't sure if it was the length of the profile, the pitch, or that I got them sharpened on 12" ROH, rather than my usual FBV 100/50. I've been skating on a 8'/13' profile for a few years. 

It felt like when I stopped, it would bite more than I expected. It could have actually been biting more because of the different sharpen, or it could have just felt like it because of the other changes. 

Any ideas or diagnosis are appreciated!

The stock profile is 9'. The pitch is +3. I'd change one thing at a time and then give it a few skates to get used to things. The first and easiest change would be to get them sharpened at your usual 100/50 FBV. Some people have stated that they actually had to go shallower in hollow due to the more responsive one piece boot. That wasn't the case for me since I was coming from a responsive one piece boot (KOR Shift 2), but if the 100/50 FBV feels off then you could try something like a 90/75 FBV and see how that feels.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't do anything more than minimal one at a time changes and then give yourself a few hours of ice time to adjust to each change.

Edited by althoma1

Had my first open ice time with the skates, and almost immediately crashed into the boards. My balance and weight distribution were way off.  After about an hour of skating though i really got used to them. Low aggressive skating, good edge control and the comfort was unreal. So do i need to stock up on these or with easton bought by bauer is there a chance we see an equivalent skate in the future.

• Like 1

I would (and have) stock up. Besides, if Bauer were to release Mako like skates would you rather pay $1000 for those or the prices you can find Makos for on clearance now? These new theoretical Bauers would of course be cleared out at some point, but not for at least 2 years after they're released and even then they still might not dip as low as the current Mako prices.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kyleo29 said:

Had my first open ice time with the skates, and almost immediately crashed into the boards. My balance and weight distribution were way off.  After about an hour of skating though i really got used to them. Low aggressive skating, good edge control and the comfort was unreal. So do i need to stock up on these or with easton bought by bauer is there a chance we see an equivalent skate in the future.

As Althomas, I have stocked up.  I've got a pair of Mako IIs and M8s for myself, I figure that will cover me for about 5 years and it was less than $500 for both.  My son started in MIIs this summer and loves them, so, I just got him a pair for when he grows out of these .  I figure between his current and this new pair, I should be covered for 2 years.  We'll see what's available at that point.  Hard to pass up these deals though.  As he said, even if there is a comparable skate in the future, there's no way it will be even close to this cheap and may not even be as good. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Maybe Graf could buy the rights to them... Okay, maybe not.

I picture Graf incorporating a less complete composite cup into their skates first, if they're to go in the speed skate direction. The general idea of how that is done is not exclusive to one or any other company. Their footlasts are already solid and a lot of their boots already so aggressively cut that they wouldn't be out of place with that addition to their already proven formula. Just my $0.02.

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

I picture Graf incorporating a less complete composite cup into their skates first, if they're to go in the speed skate direction. The general idea of how that is done is not exclusive to one or any other company. Their footlasts are already solid and a lot of their boots already so aggressively cut that they wouldn't be out of place with that addition to their already proven formula. Just my $0.02.

It was a joke. Graf is dead. Apparently trying to revive themselves (see thread on the topic). That's why I made the joke. Never mind.

23 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

It was a joke. Graf is dead. Apparently trying to revive themselves (see thread on the topic). That's why I made the joke. Never mind.

Not completely dead. I wouldn't count them out. They have some great know-how there. If only they can better swim with the current, they could remain a viable company. For years, they were a niche company with a great product. The North American based attempt to license their tech and expand production floundered, but that doesn't corrupt the kernel of what Graf is and what they offer. They still have a bit of market in Europe, certainly not what it was even in its pre-NA days, but perhaps enough to mount a solid comeback. I imagine Graf-CH has performed due diligence and figures it to be within reason to keep going.

A joke isn't off limits to analysis. In any decent joke, there's a least a shred of truth, or a warped perspective of the truth. It makes sense to discuss it, especially in a venue where tone of voice is harder to grasp.

Howdy,

So, been in these M8's for the last four times out or so...

I occasionally seem to be falling back on my heels at times.  Anyone know what the radius and pitch (and whatever else) is between the M8's and CCM Ribcors?

I'm just curious.  I'm sure I'll adapt and its not like its a huge issue, just wondering how much is due to skate differences.

Mark

Mako is 9ft, RibCor is 10'. Pitch of the holder is about the same. Ribcor boot itself appears to be tilted forward. It looks like M8 is more of a upright boot. 

Edited by Kgbeast
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I would (and have) stock up. Besides, if Bauer were to release Mako like skates would you rather pay $1000 for those or the prices you can find Makos for on clearance now? These new theoretical Bauers would of course be cleared out at some point, but not for at least 2 years after they're released and even then they still might not dip as low as the current Mako prices.

well when the wifey gets pissed about the 2 more pairs on their way im just going to say its your fault.

• Like 1

Howdy,

Replacement steel for these...

I was bored and looking around online... I don't have a need yet for new steel, but is it available?  It seems like the CXN holders/runners are Mako only, and I'm not finding the size 7/7.5 steel anywhere... Should I be looking for this and stocking up, or is it readily available and I'm just not looking in the right places?

Mark

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I was bored and looking around online... I don't have a need yet for new steel, but is it available?  It seems like the CXN holders/runners are Mako only, and I'm not finding the size 7/7.5 steel anywhere... Should I be looking for this and stocking up, or is it readily available and I'm just not looking in the right places?

Mark

Not going to be surprised that CXN holder and runners for it will disappear as Bauer has pretty solid line of holders and most likely, will not continue to support CXN. CXN has not been produced for very long time, so there is no real traction for that in aftermarket. If you can find runners, you probably should get a couple of sets to see you through next couple of years, My question is however, how sure are you that you will still use these Makos two years from now" Or even one year?. Everybody will drop a new line of skates probably as soon as year from now. Will you be looking at that or at clearances of the today's hot models? 

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

You're much more likely to find step steel for CXN. Which is fine since it's better quality steel anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Not going to be surprised that CXN holder and runners for it will disappear as Bauer has pretty solid line of holders and most likely, will not continue to support CXN. CXN has not been produced for very long time, so there is no real traction for that in aftermarket. If you can find runners, you probably should get a couple of sets to see you through next couple of years, My question is however, how sure are you that you will still use these Makos two years from now" Or even one year?. Everybody will drop a new line of skates probably as soon as year from now. Will you be looking at that or at clearances of the today's hot models? 

What do you mean CXN has not been produced for a very long time? The MakoII and its lower models isn't that old. 

If there was any indication of any new skates dropping that fit anything like the Mako, people wouldn't be stockpiling them like they are. They're selling like crazy and sold out of the most common sizes almost everywhere because there's nothing on the horizon that comes even close without going custom. 

I didn't read "has not been produced for a long time" as 'it's been out of production for a long time' or again in other words 'it has been a long time since it was last produced' but rather as 'it didn't have a long production run, (less than 5-years)'.

Another consideration @marka, the CXN drilling pattern fits almost perfectly with other current holders, so a holder swap wouldn't be a difficult or necessarily pricey alternative. Just remember the pitch would change so you'd maybe want to add heel lifts to match the CXN if you did switch.

12 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I didn't read "has not been produced for a long time" as 'it's been out of production for a long time' or again in other words 'it has been a long time since it was last produced' but rather as 'it didn't have a long production run, (less than 5-years)'.

Another consideration @marka, the CXN drilling pattern fits almost perfectly with other current holders, so a holder swap wouldn't be a difficult or necessarily pricey alternative. Just remember the pitch would change so you'd maybe want to add heel lifts to match the CXN if you did switch.

Gotcha. Yea, its a pretty short-lived holder.

And yes, lots of posts in this thread about people moving to bauer holders without issue. I considered swapping mine just to eliminate the pitch change. 

29 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

You're much more likely to find step steel for CXN. Which is fine since it's better quality steel anyway. 

What do you mean CXN has not been produced for a very long time? The MakoII and its lower models isn't that old. 

If there was any indication of any new skates dropping that fit anything like the Mako, people wouldn't be stockpiling them like they are. They're selling like crazy and sold out of the most common sizes almost everywhere because there's nothing on the horizon that comes even close without going custom. 

I think its fairly clear that he meant the CXN hasn't been in production for so long that there is a strong back demand for the holders to continue production of them, coupled with the issues they have had with boot durability and the fact that more people prefer to tear off the CXN holders and strap some tuuks on. They are selling like crazy mostly because the price is slashed over half, just like any other similar clearance product. if it was just a fear over not being able to find something with a similar fit, they wouldn't have to go that drastic with the price drops. I think sometimes our view of the market is clouded by reading so many opinions of gearheads on these forums that we don't just realize this is a normal consumer reaction to a price drop this significant. the MX3 skate released after the mako2 and is far more sparse in sizes available with less of a price drop.

22 minutes ago, Stewie said:

I think its fairly clear that he meant the CXN hasn't been in production for so long that there is a strong back demand for the holders to continue production of them, coupled with the issues they have had with boot durability and the fact that more people prefer to tear off the CXN holders and strap some tuuks on. They are selling like crazy mostly because the price is slashed over half, just like any other similar clearance product. if it was just a fear over not being able to find something with a similar fit, they wouldn't have to go that drastic with the price drops. I think sometimes our view of the market is clouded by reading so many opinions of gearheads on these forums that we don't just realize this is a normal consumer reaction to a price drop this significant. the MX3 skate released after the mako2 and is far more sparse in sizes available with less of a price drop.

It wasn't clear to me, so I'm glad it was pointed out by @flip12

Yes you are right about the price drops but there is definitely a number of people stockpiling them, who wouldn't be doing so if there was anything new on the horizon that would be a similar fit. 

So i have been waiting for my kid to grow out of his Mako 2's he grew 3" in about 3 months so I got me some brand new Mako 2s.  Pretty jazzed to try them out, my only apprehension was the protective level.

I play D so I take a lot of pucks in the boots.  My former One95's were amazing in all aspects but one in particular was protective level.  I could take a lot in those things.  

First 2 weeks I loved the skate, I could definitely feel the agility the skate offers.  I was having problem with Heel lock but thought a quick remake would take care of that.  I lace one eye short too, just what I am used too, I went 2 short on my one 95's.  

So Tuesday my 3rd skate I took a firm saucer pass from the wide board that was intended to go cross ice crease.  Great I blocked it right? killed the opportunity right?  Frikin' KILLED Like I took a Chara blast to the ankle. If you are like me and do some blocking I suggest you get some shot blockers cut these skates have Zero protection.

3 hours ago, mnpucker said:

So i have been waiting for my kid to grow out of his Mako 2's he grew 3" in about 3 months so I got me some brand new Mako 2s.  Pretty jazzed to try them out, my only apprehension was the protective level.

I play D so I take a lot of pucks in the boots.  My former One95's were amazing in all aspects but one in particular was protective level.  I could take a lot in those things.  

First 2 weeks I loved the skate, I could definitely feel the agility the skate offers.  I was having problem with Heel lock but thought a quick remake would take care of that.  I lace one eye short too, just what I am used too, I went 2 short on my one 95's.  

So Tuesday my 3rd skate I took a firm saucer pass from the wide board that was intended to go cross ice crease.  Great I blocked it right? killed the opportunity right?  Frikin' KILLED Like I took a Chara blast to the ankle. If you are like me and do some blocking I suggest you get some shot blockers cut these skates have Zero protection.

Agreed.  Even the most innocuous pass can really sting if you get it on Makos.  I'm a beer leaguer, so, don't worry about blocking shots anymore, but my son plays D and I've told him he should wear shot blockers for his. He doesn't want to, but I'm pretty sure he'll change his tune the first time he takes a shot.