Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I mean, if that's the case that's cool. I'm surprised they aren't worried above losing existing tacks fans by having a completely different fit in the new version.

1 hour ago, sparky1 said:

If you look at the super tacks or the new Jetspeed FT1, it is a monocoque construction of the boot with no outsole like a traditional skate has. The biggest feature IMO of the easton Mako's.

Now, it may not have the form fit that the makos do, but with it being a single piece of CF, it should hopefully be heat mold-able like the Mako's & VH Skates are

edit: here's a review between the super tacks and Mako 2 that I found online. Surprised someone had posted this. Very rare you would find something like this.

https://reboothockey.wordpress.com/2016/12/22/honest-hockey-review-ccm-super-tacks/ 

The monocoque construction is part of it, and they will be heat moldable, however the liner material and inner construction would need to be the same as the Mako's for the fit to be comparable.

The goal was zero negative space, which was the single biggest feature of the Mako's, and the CCM's simply won't be able to accomplish that. Not that they are since that would severely narrow the marketability of the skate, I'm just saying that the skates won't be able to fit the same.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I mean, if that's the case that's cool. I'm surprised they aren't worried above losing existing tacks fans by having a completely different fit in the new version.

43 minutes ago, Krev said:

The monocoque construction is part of it, and they will be heat moldable, however the liner material and inner construction would need to be the same as the Mako's for the fit to be comparable.

The goal was zero negative space, which was the single biggest feature of the Mako's, and the CCM's simply won't be able to accomplish that. Not that they are since that would severely narrow the marketability of the skate, I'm just saying that the skates won't be able to fit the same.

It looks like they're going with different liners/fits for the jetspeed & the super tacks. 

Not too sure what the liner material and inner construction on them are though. According to CCM's website, the Super tacks is an "Anatomical" fit, so I would imagine it would be similar, but I am not 100% sure as I don't have the $$$ to buy myself a pair of super tacks :\

21 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

It looks like they're going with different liners/fits for the jetspeed & the super tacks. 

Not too sure what the liner material and inner construction on them are though. According to CCM's website, the Super tacks is an "Anatomical" fit, so I would imagine it would be similar, but I am not 100% sure as I don't have the $$$ to buy myself a pair of super tacks :\

CCM would need to incorporate an adaptive thermoplastic and something similar to Easton's Tru-Fit Last to achieve as close a fit to a Mako as they could. Bauer has that R&D now, and I don't think we'll see something like that from CCM because they know the kind of skate the want to produce and who they want to market to. That said, I would happily try a pair of their skates if they did something similar.

For now though I'm going to ride out my current Mako's, maybe find another pair, and eventually move to VH. Nothing else fits the same anymore.

• Like 2

Has anyone had a problem with mako 2 skates where the tongue is glue to the inside of the toe cap directly infront of the toes. My toes rub it bad. 

It's very differnet than my mako 1s. 

Same size skates but mako 2 I rub my toes on that tongue seems like they are smaller in size? 

Edited by hergs

I have both Mako I and II skates in the same size and actually find that the Mako II feels slightly longer in the toe area (I can feel the cap/tongue more with my toes on the Mako 1's - both pairs I've converted to inline and the 1 pair I have for ice). Technically they should feel the same as the sizing wasn't changed from model to model, but there are variables at play like bake times, if you knocked your heel back in both skates and of course if the workers making your skates glued the tongues at exactly the same location in the toe cap.

50 minutes ago, hergs said:

Has anyone had a problem with mako 2 skates where the tongue is glue to the inside of the toe cap directly infront of the toes. My toes rub it bad. 

It's very differnet than my mako 1s. 

Same size skates but mako 2 I rub my toes on that tongue seems like they are smaller in size? 

I actually had that exact same issue with my mako 1s immediately when I got them. The edge of the tongue was right at the tip of the toe cap and my big toe would rub on it. I actually ended up fixing this by putting a piece of gaffers tape on the inside of the toe box. Kind of a hack, but it solved the issue and it hasn't come out since. On top of that, I actually completely forgot it was even there until now. 

Can any of you fella's tell me why my brand new M7's are "clicking" when I'm walking? I've tried tightening the steel and it still happens. 

They also squeak like hell. 

Also, what's the difference between an M7 and an M8? Significant differences? 

Edited by Healthyscratch

Mine click now and then as well.  I've tightened the steels also.  I'd be interested if anyone has any insight as well.

As for the difference, I don't recall there being much.  M8s have a hard plastic metatarsal guard on the tongue.  Oh and I think a full carbon chassis, versus carbon and fibreglass.  For me, there wasn't enough of a difference to justify spending more.  But I am a beginner, so feel free to take that with a grain of salt.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Can any of you fella's tell me why my brand new M7's are "clicking" when I'm walking? I've tried tightening the steel and it still happens. 

They also squeak like hell. 

Dont worry, most of them click. The M7 is a great skate. I sold my Mako 2s so I can buy 2-3 pairs of M7s, I do not see any difference what so ever. I enjoy them more than my Mako 1s too (thicker tongue, and slightly stiffer boot). And as I said before, the tongue is very thick, it works best with low volume feet as it might cause discomfort. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Mine click now and then as well.  I've tightened the steels also.  I'd be interested if anyone has any insight as well.

As for the difference, I don't recall there being much.  M8s have a hard plastic metatarsal guard on the tongue.  Oh and I think a full carbon chassis, versus carbon and fibreglass.  For me, there wasn't enough of a difference to justify spending more.  But I am a beginner, so feel free to take that with a grain of salt.  

I think just the M2 are 100% carbon fiber (ec100). The M7 and M8 use a carbon fiber matrix.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:39 PM, sparky1 said:

If you look at the super tacks or the new Jetspeed FT1, it is a monocoque construction of the boot with no outsole like a traditional skate has. The biggest feature IMO of the easton Mako's. 

Now, it may not have the form fit that the makos do, but with it being a single piece of CF, it should hopefully be heat mold-able like the Mako's & VH Skates are

edit: here's a review between the super tacks and Mako 2 that I found online. Surprised someone had posted this. Very rare you would find something like this.

https://reboothockey.wordpress.com/2016/12/22/honest-hockey-review-ccm-super-tacks/ 

CCM-FT1-Skates-9966.jpg

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2016_03/CCM_SuperTacks1.jpg.6d89adc672befb44834beebf601181f6.jpg

... from what I read, JetSpeed FT1 is not made of CF... But nevertheless, it is the same construction as SuperTacks or Mako with one piece quarter/outsole + added toebox. If it is not CF, I am wondering what is it. I never thought that CF is an optimal skate base material. Of course one CF is different from another, but I always thought nylons based materials are more suitable for hockey related abuse.   

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:37 PM, Healthyscratch said:

I own the original Makos, Mako II and bought a pair of M7's (haven't worn those yet). I also briefly owned M8's, but they were D width which turned out to be too narrow even after baking so I sold them before even wearing them. Here are the key differences between the M7, M8 and Mako II:

M7 - EC50 Carbon Fiber Matrix (50% Fibre glass and 50% Carbon) with adaptive HDPE thermoplastic quarter. White felt tongue with an injected TPU metatarsal guard. Very thin ortholite footbed.

M8 - EC80 (20% Fibre Glass) with adaptive RX thermoplastic quarter panel. White felt tongue with an injected-plastic metatarsal guard (the metatarsal guard looks exactly the same as the one that was on the original Mako). Multi-Density ortholite footbed (slightly thicker than the footbed that comes with the M7).

Mako II - EC100 (100% Carbon) with adaptive RX thermoplastic quarter panel.   White felt tongue with dual-density foam with a streamlined injected-plastic metatarsal guard (streamlined to allow for better forward flex). Multi-Density ortholite footbed (thicker than the one that comes with the M8).

So you can see that the M7 has the highest fibre glass content - that means they'll be slightly heavier and you'll lose a bit of energy transfer, but on the plus side Fibre glass can be less prone to cracking from hard shots than carbon; so they may be a little more durable. The HDPE thermoplastic may also be less responsive to heat than the adaptive RX (Easton called this an exclusive thermoplastic material) found in the M8 and Mako II. I have not baked the M7's I have yet; so I can't be certain that is the case. The metatarsal guard isn't as hard in the M7 as it is in the M8 and it's not streamlined like it is in the Mako II. The footbed is very thin in the M7, but it was also quite thin in the original Mako. The M8 footbed is a bit thicker and the Mako II is the thickest of all the footbeds.

They all have the extendon guard, are one piece boots and use the same holders and steel. The main difference is the fibre glass content as many others mentioned, but that's not the only difference. They all use wicking micro fibre liners, but the Mako II liner does seem like it'd probably be a bit more durable than the one found in the M7. I've used the Mako II since the summer (and that liner has shown better durability than the micro fibre liner used in the original Makos - I've had no issues with the Mako II liners, but had some noticeable wear with the originals after having used them for about the same amount of time), but haven't used the M7 at all; so I can't really say for sure.

• Like 3

So I've been skating in my makos for about 4 months or so and I love almost everything about them. My agility and pivots are much better. But the one thing that bugs me is the radius and the holder. Not sure I love the angle of it. At top speeds and in front of the net I feel like I'm easily pushed off the puck or off balance more. Also it puts me more on top of my toes and makes it a little harder to use my stride from heel push to toe flick. Not a huge deal I just have to be aware of it. Might try and throw my old epro holders on there and see what happens

16 minutes ago, kyleo29 said:

So I've been skating in my makos for about 4 months or so and I love almost everything about them. My agility and pivots are much better. But the one thing that bugs me is the radius and the holder. Not sure I love the angle of it. At top speeds and in front of the net I feel like I'm easily pushed off the puck or off balance more. Also it puts me more on top of my toes and makes it a little harder to use my stride from heel push to toe flick. Not a huge deal I just have to be aware of it. Might try and throw my old epro holders on there and see what happens

Have the profile adjusted to slight negative.

4 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I own the original Makos, Mako II and bought a pair of M7's (haven't worn those yet). I also briefly owned M8's, but they were D width which turned out to be too narrow even after baking so I sold them before even wearing them. Here are the key differences between the M7, M8 and Mako II:

M7 - EC50 Carbon Fiber Matrix (50% Fibre glass and 50% Carbon) with adaptive HDPE thermoplastic quarter. White felt tongue with an injected TPU metatarsal guard. Very thin ortholite footbed.

M8 - EC80 (20% Fibre Glass) with adaptive RX thermoplastic quarter panel. White felt tongue with an injected-plastic metatarsal guard (the metatarsal guard looks exactly the same as the one that was on the original Mako). Multi-Density ortholite footbed (slightly thicker than the footbed that comes with the M7).

Mako II - EC100 (100% Carbon) with adaptive RX thermoplastic quarter panel.   White felt tongue with dual-density foam with a streamlined injected-plastic metatarsal guard (streamlined to allow for better forward flex). Multi-Density ortholite footbed (thicker than the one that comes with the M8).

So you can see that the M7 has the highest fibre glass content - that means they'll be slightly heavier and you'll lose a bit of energy transfer, but on the plus side Fibre glass can be less prone to cracking from hard shots than carbon; so they may be a little more durable. The HDPE thermoplastic may also be less responsive to heat than the adaptive RX (Easton called this an exclusive thermoplastic material) found in the M8 and Mako II. I have not baked the M7's I have yet; so I can't be certain that is the case. The metatarsal guard isn't as hard in the M7 as it is in the M8 and it's not streamlined like it is in the Mako II. The footbed is very thin in the M7, but it was also quite thin in the original Mako. The M8 footbed is a bit thicker and the Mako II is the thickest of all the footbeds.

They all have the extendon guard, are one piece boots and use the same holders and steel. The main difference is the fibre glass content as many others mentioned, but that's not the only difference. They all use wicking micro fibre liners, but the Mako II liner does seem like it'd probably be a bit more durable than the one found in the M7. I've used the Mako II since the summer (and that liner has shown better durability than the micro fibre liner used in the original Makos - I've had no issues with the Mako II liners, but had some noticeable wear with the originals after having used them for about the same amount of time), but haven't used the M7 at all; so I can't really say for sure.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up, much appreciated. 

Question for you! 

I appreciate the review, similarly was a big fan of Easton skates and have only worn them since I was younger with the airs and elites and such. 

When i got back into men's league 6 years ago a purchased a bauer top level skate vapor series (forget the model) but hated the feel and felt as though I was falling backwards or playing on my heels. 

I now purchased the RS model that came out along with the mako, but after 2 years of 1-2 times per week useage these skates are falling apart, my runners are dwindling and I am looking for a better quality skate with the same boot pitch or aggressive stance. I wear a 10.5 D, I was looking into then CCM jetspeeds or something aggressive and was wondering if you had any insight into skates that would feel similar and be an easy transition.

Thanks.  

Edited by JSK81
Moved to the right thread

The RS came out right before the original Mako. I have no experience with that skate and do not know if they're sizing is the same as the Mako skates, but Hockey Monkey does have Mako M8 skates on clearance for $234.98 and has 10D and 10.5D in stock. I believe most people used to take .5 size higher in Easton skates than Bauer, but with the Mako a lot of people went to the same size; so you might be a 10D in the M8, but hopefully someone who has used or tried on both the Mako skates and the RS can weigh in on that.

I haven't used VH skates, but I've seen, felt and have read a lot about them and that'd be the most similar skate to the Easton Mako currently available. They aren't cheap at $899, however; they're fully custom and are built based on measurements, tracings and pictures of your feet. You could of course buy 4 pairs of the Mako M8 at the clearance price for only $40 more than one VH. There's a big VH skate thread here if you want to read all about those.

You can also of course search on this and other forums, craigslist, kijiji, eBay, Sideline Swap and FB groups to see if anyone is selling Mako II or M8s in your size. Keep in mind that a lot of people can't even fit their feet into a properly sized Mako before it's baked and they'll feel very tight and can be uncomfortable if you do get your feet in them. After baking the Makos are very comfortable for most people in the right size.

I have used both the Mako II and the original Makos and find the Mako II to be much more durable. The liner is holding up better on the Mako II, there's a bit more ankle padding and it hasn't compressed on me yet after about 8 months of use like the OG Makos did. Many people also had cracking issues with the OG Makos. So I'd stay away from the original Makos with the silver heels unless you can get them for dirt cheap and just want something to tide you over until you can find a Mako II or M8. The Mako II and M8 aren't going to be indestructible, but they're both an improvement over the originals and at the prices you can find them for now you could get 2 or 3 of them instead of one new high end Bauer, CCM or VH skate.

• Like 1

The RS and the Mako are completely different skates. Much more volume in the RS, different holder, different pitch and so on. I used them one game and sold them, did not like them at all, before that I was in S17 for long time and loved them too (compared to the Mako).

After the S17 sizing became ''true'' -  I am a 7d in both RS and Mako / 2 / M8 / M7, 8R in S17. 

I have had issues with the original Makos, but liners and holder clicking is not one of them. 

Edited by icewalker_bg

Thanks I appreciate that! Maybe I will stick with Easton after all and give the mako II a shot. I am a defenseman and a bigger guy who skates pretty hard so hopefully they can take a few shots and some hard skating.

thanks again!

1 hour ago, Jdm77 said:

Thanks I appreciate that! Maybe I will stick with Easton after all and give the mako II a shot. I am a defenseman and a bigger guy who skates pretty hard so hopefully they can take a few shots and some hard skating.

thanks again!

Give them a shot if you can find your size.

I've blocked my fair amount of shots wearing Mako II's, and like any other skate out there if a shot hits you in the 'right spot' it's going to hurt.