Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

2 hours ago, LilSchro said:

Anyone know Mako sizing? Going from Reebok 6.5D, I'm thinking of trying out a 7D as that appears to be the only size in stock within the province.

I'd imagine that will be too big. I went down half a size from reebok to mako

10 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'd imagine that will be too big. I went down half a size from reebok to mako

I went up a bit. I was in 7 3/4 pro stock reeboks. Now I'm wearing size 8 makos. I'll never know what was customized by the pro who had them before me, though, so add an asterisk to the sizing. 

Mako sizing should be equal to Bauer sizing.  I'm in a 5 in both brands.  If memory serves, CCM is 1/2 size bigger than Bauer in most skates of equal length.  Agree with IP, I'd go down 1/2 a size. 

• Like 1

I measured up 7.5EE in Bauer Supreme, 8 in MakoII.  Bought 8D cause they didn't have E or EE in stock, bit tight after the first bake so I baked again but this time wore a thin pair of socks folded over so they covered the tight area then put my regular skating socks on, they stretched right out and the fit is now amazing.

Had mine for a month or two now and absolutely love them

So my original mako's toe box is starting to separate from the sole underneath the skate. Hopefully they last a while, but i'll be ready if they don't.

Ordered a pair of Mako M8's to replace them when my originals finally do kick the bucket.

Edited by sparky1

This thread is so awesome. 

Also: went to the LHS to get a pair of skates for the GF (just for recreational skating). She tried on 6 pairs (the 3 lines of Bauer and 3 lines of CCM they had available) and we ended up walking out with nothing because she had mild pain points in every skate. 

Ordered a pair of jr sized Makos on clearance, and she loved them after we baked them.

I'll be sad when my pair finally goes :(

An update. I ended up buying the 7D mako m7. It was a perfect fit length wise compared to my 6.5 6k. Felt great too on the ice after like an hour of baking and tweaking. Now I just need to figure out the blade profile. The arch is still a bit steep but not that noticeable. Think it can be flattened?

Edited by LilSchro

2 hours ago, jasongos said:

Anyone have experience replacing their tongue on Mako IIs?  Mine is starting to wear thru where my shin guards meet the skate.

Jason

You should be able to replace tongues on any skates with use of a little bit of repositionable adhesive to positioned in properly first, then use stitching awl to stitch it in. This usually does not require great deal of skill, but you do need to be somewhat handy.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 2:45 AM, LilSchro said:

An update. I ended up buying the 7D mako m7. It was a perfect fit length wise compared to my 6.5 6k. Felt great too on the ice after like an hour of baking and tweaking. Now I just need to figure out the blade profile. The arch is still a bit steep but not that noticeable. Think it can be flattened?

Arch in the skate or the steel?

15 hours ago, LilSchro said:

What's opinion on swapping the stock steel on them for stepsteel?

I did it and IMHO, it's well worth it.  But I never tried the Easton steel.  I switched to Lightspeed 2 holders immediately, because I wanted a neutral pitch and that's what I'm used to.  My Step Steel is Lightspeed 2 type.  Step steel is so much better than stock Lightspeed 2 steel.

Just note that the STEP steel for the Easton CXN holder is not profiled for +1, so compared to the Easton retail holders it puts you slightly more on your heels (still, the boot+holder is +2, so not that bad).

I've got 2 pairs in active duty, one with STEP and one with retail, switching works fine for me.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:19 PM, gosinger said:

Just note that the STEP steel for the Easton CXN holder is not profiled for +1, so compared to the Easton retail holders it puts you slightly more on your heels

Thanks for the warning, never would have thought about that.

On 3/19/2017 at 1:53 AM, IMC said:

These look awesome! Anybody have any more info to what they are? Looks like they have some design differences from the Mako IIs, so I'm guessing they're not just blacked out Makos?

http://m.imgur.com/wCgQKIM

http://m.imgur.com/6jVReqw

Looks like all you need is a black sharpie and some of the old easton "razor??" holders & steel.

anyone go from the Mako II's to the M8's?  Wearing the II's have been the best skating experience i've had, but they are getting more used and i'm worried about the day they'll have to be retired.  I was in my LHS the other day and noticed a sign that said they were doing 70% off easton skates....and i noticed an M8 box on the shelf in my size.  Is there a big performance drop off going to the m8's?  I'm more worried about the fit being the same and as comfortable as i'm not a high level player anyways, but thought i'd check here first.

The fit is the same - the M8 just have a different insole (slightly thinner), a wider metatarsal guard and use a 75/25 Carbon to Fibre Glass mix instead of 100% Carbon for the unibase. The weight difference is so minimal that I doubt you'll notice when wearing them. You may notice slightly better forward flex in the Mako II and you'll of course see the slight colour differences, but I don't think it's much of a drop off between the Mako II and M8. I haven't used the M8, but did own a pair briefly - I had to move them before using them because the D width was too narrow (I take an 8EE and thought I'd try an 8D since they were on clearance for a great price, but that didn't work out).

I do have the original Mako and the Mako II and I do notice that the Mako II is stiffer, has more comfortable ankle padding and a bit better forward flex. The M8 felt stiffer than the OG Mako, very similar to the Mako II. They also beefed up the ankle padding in the M8 vs. the original Mako. The metatarsal guard in the M8 and the OG Mako seemed to be exactly the same; so you may notice a slight difference in forward flex vs. the Mako II, but it's not a huge difference.

I rotate between a Mako 2 and a Mako M8.  At first I found the Mako 2 a little harder to break in because of the poofy tongue.  But now that the tongue is broken in, I think the Mako 2 is slightly more comfortable than the M8.  Other than the tongue, there isn't a huge difference between the two models to me.

• Like 1

I was in Mako 2 in size 10, and then bought Mako M8 in 9.5 when I realized that I was oversized. I cannot really tell the difference in the 2 boots, aside from the M8 maybe being a bit stiffer (which is fine, as the Mako 2 may have been too flexy). Weightwise, I think that the skates are the same when in same sizes, according to the IW listed weights. I have never weighed my skates.

perfect....i think the price is right on the M8's and i think between the 2 pairs and how often i play i could just retire in these boots and never have to wonder about skate fit again :)

Mako peeps.  Last ditch effort.  Anyone have a well informed answer to the difference in heel width between the D and EE skates?  I bought EE as I need the space up front, problem is I have a super narrow heel.  The boot fits great everywhere, but the heel is too wide.  With how flexible the boots are during the baking process, I'm wondering if it makes sense to try a D to get a narrower heel and hope/assume the boot will accommodate my wider forefoot once baked.  Thoughts?