Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

33 minutes ago, BadgerBruce said:

Oh my God!  I don’t have Fscebook but my son does, so we just sent a message ..... seems they have my kid’s size in the Mako II !  If this works out, I owe you big time, Althoma1 !!

I asked them if they had my size, 8EE,  and they said they had 8.5D in the Mako II and 8D, 8.5D and 8.75D in the OG Mako. No 8EE for me (I already have a few pairs anyway), but I am glad they have the 8.5D you were seeking. For anyone else looking, they said they also have many sizes between 7 and 11. You can contact them to ask about certain sizes.

6 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

I asked them if they had my size, 8EE,  and they said they had 8.5D in the Mako II and 8D, 8.5D and 8.75D in the OG Mako. No 8EE for me (I already have a few pairs anyway), but I am glad they have the 8.5D you were seeking. For anyone else looking, they said they also have many sizes between 7 and 11. You can contact them to ask about certain sizes.

Anyone have a shipping (receiving) contact in Windsor ON as to not run into any customs hassles ...lol

maybe spitfires eq manager .. JR? 

26 minutes ago, goodguy said:

Anyone have a shipping (receiving) contact in Windsor ON as to not run into any customs hassles ...lol

maybe spitfires eq manager .. JR? 

Just avoid Ups and FedEx ground ect. so you aren't hit with brokerage fees. If you get them to ship via Canada Post I wouldn't be worried about any large fees. I have shipped skates in the past to the US via Canada Post (with tracking and insurance of course)  and have received skates and other products via USPS without issue. Once in a while there is a small processing fee and tax, but often there's nothing. In my experience,  it's only Ups, FedEx ground and other courier services that have the large brokerage and custom fees.

With that said, if you're more comfortable shipping to Windsor; go for it. 

This is a sincere thank you to all of the posters in this thread who provided advice, leads, and admirably selfless help in aid of my quest to find a pair of Makos. Mission accomplished — the skates are being shipped right now.  

I’ve been involved in this great game for — gulp! — over 50 years now, and the one constant for that half century is how hockey people without fail help other hockey people when they need a hand.  That’s priceless.  

Believe me, I will keep my eyes open for any new Mako leads ... paying it forward is a good way to live.  

• Like 3

I was wondering if Grant Cruikshank would have converted away from Makos by now, with my first guess being Trues would be his next boots. He must have a healthy stash of Makos as he's still sporting them as a freshman at CC.

5bcbd689a9904.image.jpg?resize=1200,896

Seeing how there's still love for that skate, it's a shame it's lost to the oblivion of Bauer's intellectual property portfolio.

Does anyone have any leads on a pair of Mako II’s or M8’s in a 3.5?  My son is about to outgrow his current pair so I’m hoping I can find a replacement.  

12 minutes ago, KatieK said:

Does anyone have any leads on a pair of Mako II’s or M8’s in a 3.5?  My son is about to outgrow his current pair so I’m hoping I can find a replacement.  

As a player and a parent (my daughter does not play). My first reaction would be to get my kid in something that's easily replaceable. I'd do it while his/her skates were still in somewhat decent shape. That way it's not a hard transition.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 9:02 AM, KatieK said:

As a big Mako fan myself, I have to agree with the others on finding something else that works if he's in skates that small. You may be able to find a pair or two that works for the next year or two, but after that it will become almost impossible to find them. So unless you can find a pair in almost every single size and are prepared to buy them right now then it's probably best to move on. If it was for someone whose feet have stopped growing, or at least almost stopped growing then it's easier to stockpile.

With that said, here are the best leads I have if you're still determined to go the Mako route:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hockey/belleville/mako-2-jr-skates-size-4d/1384639143?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

That's a 4D Mako II for $125 CAD plus whatever shipping would cost to your location.

You could potentially also contact this seller on FB, but I believe they have mainly senior sizes 8-11: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/507918219628585/

Edited by althoma1

I have two questions concerning the Mako skates:

Size: In the experience of those of you who used them, do they run true to your shoe size?

Did anybody actually order from that ad on Facebook and receive their skates?

Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, number_22 said:

Size: In the experience of those of you who used them, do they run true to your shoe size?

Thanks for your help!

I ordered skates from the Facebook ad and the skates were delivered to my door in less than 24 hours.  The gentleman selling is based in Montreal and was both honest and easy to deal with.

In terms of sizing, here’s what I know:  my teenager wears size 11 or 11.5 (D/standard width) Nike basketball shoes but an 8.5D Mako skate.  We were fortunate in that he already had a pair of M8s that simply wore out, so sizing wasn’t an issue at all — we bought the exact same size.  But in a general sense, I can’t imagine buying any new skates (Bauer, CCM, etc) without a proper fitting. For instance, prior to lucking out on the new Makos, the boy briefly wore a pair of Supreme 1S skates and they were size 7.5D.  Sizing can be all over the map. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by BadgerBruce
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BadgerBruce said:

I ordered skates from the Facebook ad and the skates were delivered to my door in less than 24 hours.  The gentleman selling is based in Montreal and was both honest and easy to deal with.

In terms of sizing, here’s what I know:  my teenager wears size 11 or 11.5 (D/standard width) Nike basketball shoes but an 8.5D Mako skate.  We were fortunate in that he already had a pair of M8s that simply wore out, so sizing wasn’t an issue at all — we bought the exact same size.  But in a general sense, I can’t imagine buying any new skates (Bauer, CCM, etc) without a proper fitting. For instance, prior to lucking out on the new Makos, the boy briefly wore a pair of Supreme 1S skates and they were size 7.5D.  Sizing can be all over the map. 

Hope this helps.

Either ur kids sneakers are way too big or his skates are way too small

Son #2 is a 10.5 in sneakers. Uses a size 9 Mako.

Son #1 is a size 12.5-13 in sneakers. Uses a size 11 Mako. 

Ordered from Facebook, Montreal guy (used to be a Mako rep).. received my skates no problem (although had to drive to across border to a UPS Store in Windsor to pickup as he wasn’t comfortable shipping Canada Post to USA ... no big deal for me). He’s trustworthy.

Edited by goodguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, number_22 said:

Thanks for your help!

Here's my sizing:

Mako size: 8EE

The Mako box for this size says they're for 9.5 shoes, but I wear 10W dress shoes, 10 sandals and 10.5 running shoes. I know the 8.5 Mako that would be suggested for size 10 would be too long for my feet. Easton's general guidance for skate to shoe size is 1.5 sizes down, but that's only a general guide and not an exact science or guarantee (some people prefer their shoes with more room than others and different brands and models have different fits). Trying skates on is of course best, but if you can't do that then measuring or using other skates that fit well with your toes brushing the cap would be a better idea.

Foot length: 26.7 CM or 10.5 inches

CCM Brannock Device Measurement (the metal measuring device most shops use): 8

Bauer Supreme size (not a perfect fit for my foot as the forefoot is tight and the heel is wide for my feet, but the length feels about right): 7.5EE (a lot of people seem to fit the same size in Makos as they do in Bauer's; for me, a half size up in the Makos feels correct. My toes barely brush the cap, my heel is locked and I've used Makos for over 2 years and still love the fit. I've only demoed Supremes in 7.5EE and never owned them since their overall fit isn't ideal for my feet).

When I was sized for Supertacks when they had the try some on and get a free hat promo, an experienced fitter at a good LHS suggested 8EE would be the size to try on (they felt tight on my forefoot where the boot meets the cap and I didn't quite feel the end, my heel was locked in well though).

You could measure your feet in CM and then use the sizing charts on this page to get your sizing close, but it's still a gamble buying without being able to try them on: https://www.icewarehouse.com/lc/icehockeyskatesizing.html

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Here's my sizing:

Mako size: 8EE

The Mako box for this size says they're for 9.5 shoes, but I wear 10W dress shoes, 10 sandals and 10.5 running shoes. I know the 8.5 Mako that would be suggested for size 10 would be too long for my feet. Easton's general guidance for skate to shoe size is 1.5 sizes down, but that's only a general guide and not an exact science or guarantee (some people prefer their shoes with more room than others and different brands and models have different fits). Trying skates on is of course best, but if you can't do that then measuring or using other skates that fit well with your toes brushing the cap would be a better idea.

Foot length: 26.7 CM or 10.5 inches

CCM Brannock Device Measurement (the metal measuring device most shops use): 8

Bauer Supreme size (not a perfect fit for my foot as the forefoot is tight and the heel is wide for my feet, but the length feels about right): 7.5EE (a lot of people seem to fit the same size in Makos as they do in Bauer's; for me, a half size up in the Makos feels correct. My toes barely brush the cap, my heel is locked and I've used Makos for over 2 years and still love the fit. I've only demoed Supremes in 7.5EE and never owned them since their overall fit isn't ideal for my feet).

When I was sized for Supertacks when they had the try some on and get a free hat promo, an experienced fitter at a good LHS suggested 8EE would be the size to try on (they felt tight on my forefoot where the boot meets the cap and I didn't quite feel the end, my heel was locked in well though).

You could measure your feet in CM and then use the sizing charts on this page to get your sizing close, but it's still a gamble buying without being able to try them on: https://www.icewarehouse.com/lc/icehockeyskatesizing.html

Thanks for your reply guys! My feet meassure 27.8 cm (left) and 28 cm (right) and I used to have a pair of Synergy skates way back when they were first released (2005ish?) and they were a size 9.5 US. I do wear a US shoe size of around 10 usually.

So I probably should be about a size 8.5 or 9 in Makos, no?

2 hours ago, number_22 said:

Thanks for your reply guys! My feet meassure 27.8 cm (left) and 28 cm (right) and I used to have a pair of Synergy skates way back when they were first released (2005ish?) and they were a size 9.5 US. I do wear a US shoe size of around 10 usually.

So I probably should be about a size 8.5 or 9 in Makos, no?

Are you sure your foot measurement is accurate or do you like to wear your shoes extremely tight? Try putting a piece of computer paper against a wall, put your bare foot on the paper against the same wall and then mark the end of your longest toe. Then measure the distance between the start of the paper (that was against the wall) and your toe mark. Do this for both feet. This will remove any possible tracing errors.

The reason I suggest this is that most people with an actual 28cm foot would wear a size 11 shoe, but fit preferences and brands can vary. It doesn't hurt to double check though.

Did the 9.5 Synergy skates fit so your largest toe brushed the cap or did you have a little room? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Are you sure your foot measurement is accurate or do you like to wear your shoes extremely tight? Try putting a piece of computer paper against a wall, put your bare foot on the paper against the same wall and then mark the end of your longest toe. Then measure the distance between the start of the paper (that was against the wall) and your toe mark. Do this for both feet. This will remove any possible tracing errors.

The reason I suggest this is that most people with an actual 28cm foot would wear a size 11 shoe, but fit preferences and brands can vary. It doesn't hurt to double check though.

Did the 9.5 Synergy skates fit so your largest toe brushed the cap or did you have a little room? 

Yep, pretty accurate. I do wear my shoes snug, but not tight, then again the sizing varies even within brands... I wear anywhere from a 9 to a 10.5.

My size 10 Red Wing Chukka boots that fit me very well (they were a bit tight at first) say 28cm on the label.

I do remember those Synergy skates fitting fine, not loose but also not super snug. The Razor Blade holders on that skate were a size 288, while on my current skates they are a Tuuk LS2 at 280. 

5 minutes ago, number_22 said:

Yep, pretty accurate. I do wear my shoes snug, but not tight, then again the sizing varies even within brands... I wear anywhere from a 9 to a 10.5.

My size 10 Red Wing Chukka boots that fit me very well (they were a bit tight at first) say 28cm on the label.

I do remember those Synergy skates fitting fine, not loose but also not super snug. The Razor Blade holders on that skate were a size 288, while on my current skates they are a Tuuk LS2 at 280. 

Based on the measurements and previous skates, I'd guess you're a size 9 in the Mako. Size 9 Makos use 280mm holders. Size 8.5 Makos would have 272mm holders and would likely be too short. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Haggerty said:

Nike's run small I wear an 11 nike, 10.5 dress shoe and 7.5 nexus skate.  I do like all my toes touching the top on my skates though.

Yes, everyone has their own fit preferences. Did you also wear a 7.5 in the Makos when you were in them?

12 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Based on the measurements and previous skates, I'd guess you're a size 9 in the Mako. Size 9 Makos use 280mm holders. Size 8.5 Makos would have 272mm holders and would likely be too short. 

Hmmm... so I dug out those old Synergy skates (they are a 9.5) and they fit me super snug, even unlaced. My toes touch the toe cap. I still wonder if the Mako‘s will fit similar...