Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

That makes sense. Do you miss the cushy feel just at the top or all along the foot? I only tried on a neglected pair of Makos that were lying around the rink and actually was impressed by the tongue, and I have extensive familiarity with and appreciation for Graf tongues. I can see where, with the idea of the extreme moldability of the Mako, they went with something a little less bulky, but I have tried several Graf tongues in my MLX instead of the stock ones. In my opinion, the Mako tongue was much more reminiscent of what I prefer and usually find Grafs to be quite nice. Which Graf tongues do you have lying around? They have changed drastically over the years and there have been quite a number of different tongues since the mid-late 80's, which is where my collection begins.

I like it at the top. I love how the mako wraps your foot below the ankle.  I love how my 703s and 707s feel around the ankle (despite those being different skates with very different ankles.  If I could combine the mako wrap, with a 703 fit and a 707 hinged ankle I would have the ultimate skate lol.  I have all 3, so kind of attempting to combine the best of all worlds. My current tongues are reminiscent of an early 2000’s 703 tongue 

I feel you. I juuuuust finally received a pair of like new 707s I found on German classifieds. They fit great except for the heel shape, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to actually test them. From lacing them up and flexing them, they feel very free. I'm used to that now from skating a handful of sessions in 701s. I've yet to try the no laces thing, but the softer ankle of the 701 diagnosed a few weaknesses I had in my stride. I'm working on how to achieve that perfect Frankenskate like you describe, and I think I'm onto something. I just need to get back on the ice and get some test boots made to try it out.

The 703 tongues I've seen and tried have a bit more stiffness to them than Graf's later tongues. I'd bet the flex and balance function will be quite similar to the Mako tongue. Graf were smart enough to soften them up to accommodate the required stiffer quarter panels. I tried an older 703 tongue, probably of similar vintage to the ones you have, in G35s and I lost almost all my agility due to the overly stiff combination. 701 tongues have next to no stiffness in them and are my go to tongues in my MLX now. I also have a pair of near mint 501s that have a plush and very flexible tongue; can't wait to try those boots out. I see why Fedorov cheated on Nike to get back with those, and Leetch still skates in them last I've seen.

That’s awesome. I’m not even a good skater, I just enjoy nostalgic equipment. I skated the wrong way my entire life. Tying my skates like casts. Went shins under tongues one day for a rec skate and could never go back. I need the ankle ROM on ice. Learning about skate fit, blade profiling, pitch and all that has only complicated things for me, but still interested in dialing in on that ideal fit and feel.  Current ice set up is 703 with tuuk plus holders. Way better feel For me than my 707s and G7s with cobra.  Makos feel like a running shoe that is just an extension of your leg. Just not crazy about the ankle wrap. 

I'm definitely into nostalgic equipment. It's also a bit of a historical design study for me, dissecting why things have gone the way they have with the industry.

We're also alike in our dislike of the stiffness of close fitting boots around the ankle. I baked my MLX several times and the last time got the top quite nice by not lacing the last three eyelets at all. I just let them flare out naturally and I think even pulled the tongue out a bit to force the top open a bit more even. It worked quite well but I still need a thin strip of tape around the tendon guard to keep me from getting "Mako bumps" from the cuff edge. If it weren't for that abrasion I could easily skate in those with the top eyelets unlaced. Making sure to bake in some gap around the ankle has made a huge difference in my enjoyment in those boots. Maybe that could be worth a shot in your Makos. You could maybe even just heat gun the ankle area so you can flare it out without having to rebake the whole boot again.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, iceman8310 said:

Anyone have to replace their mako tongue?  If so what did they use?

More of a "want to" than "have to" but, I used these for flop's sake.

https://www.hockeyvancouver.ca/collections/skate-accessories/products/graf-g735-overload-hockey-skates-replacement-tongue-single?variant=12190196072517

Edited by NiCnoK
  • Like 1

Snagged a pair of brand new Mako II on sidelineswap.  Been looking for 6.5Ds for a couple years now and I couldn't believe my eyes when a listing for a brand new pair popped up.  Looking forward to joining the Mako family.    

• Like 1

OK so I just purchased a lightly used pair of Mako ll off Ebay.  I had to, I tried True TF9 just could not get used to that big toe box, my heel slipped and I could not get the blades right.  I tried 3 sizes, from wide to regular in my size one one size smaller.Sent them all back.  So jacked to have found an exact replacement with literally new steel to get me through the next several years. I thinkI overpaid at $400 but I don't care, just happy to be back in a newer pair of makos.

12 minutes ago, mnpucker said:

OK so I just purchased a lightly used pair of Mako ll off Ebay.  I had to, I tried True TF9 just could not get used to that big toe box, my heel slipped and I could not get the blades right.  I tried 3 sizes, from wide to regular in my size one one size smaller.Sent them all back.  So jacked to have found an exact replacement with literally new steel to get me through the next several years. I thinkI overpaid at $400 but I don't care, just happy to be back in a newer pair of makos.

Nice find. I picked up a couple of pairs of Mako IIs in the last year. I have a pair of Trues that I’m trying to dial in currently.

Got the skates, baked them, new laces.  100/50 FBV, feel like I have been wearing them for 10 years.  It is such a shame this skate no longer exists.  Incredible comfort, Really cool to jump into a new pair, all that original life back in the boot, I can feel additional support and energy from the boot.  

• Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 11:01 AM, Krev said:

Can I just pop in and say I can't believe this thread is still kicking after 4+ years? Too bad the skates haven't lasted that long.

Popping in to quote myself five years later. Topic still kicking around. Awesome.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, Krev said:

Popping in to quote myself five years later. Topic still kicking around. Awesome.

do you think bauer will ever make a similar skate?

6 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

do you think bauer will ever make a similar skate?

I sincerely doubt it.

7 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Some technology has found its way into the skates, but to see the Mako again is unlikely. 

Doesn't fit their business model nor their skate lines. Similar fit to Makos, go custom; basically how they went about it. 

On 3/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, CaptainCharisma said:

Snagged a pair of brand new Mako II on sidelineswap.  Been looking for 6.5Ds for a couple years now and I couldn't believe my eyes when a listing for a brand new pair popped up.  Looking forward to joining the Mako family.    

Tried these on for the first time on Saturday.  Fit is superb.  Adjusting to the pitch wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (though I'm at +2 instead of the stock +3 as I had changed the runners to step steel).  

Won't be going back to the Super Tacks.  Tight turns with the makos just felt so much smoother for me compared to the super tacks.  I'm guessing that the super tacks was simply too stiff of a boot for me.  

• Like 1