Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

If they put it at $699 I would think they would sell many more pairs.

Man, if they put it $300 they would sell everything for 2 days -)

I would not use that kind of logic for the current situation cuz we're speaking about entry to the market

As has been said before; Not pricing at the top end of the market can give the impression that the product is inferior and negatively impact sales as well. And let's be honest, the people that are going to pay $700 for skates, are just as likely to pay $800 for them. Just like the people that wouldn't buy them at $800 would find another reason not to buy them at $600. Some people are going to criticize the product, no matter what.

For this industry, one has to push out the marketing and reinforce/grow the brand image. People rely on perception and word-of-mouth recommendations. Aside from the obvious promotional aspect, price definitely plays a role as well. As the Star article mentioned, guerilla marketing is another method to get their product out there.

Easton understands that they have a very small skate market share and that most people perceive their product to be inferior (The Great Skate Debacles of the Previous Decade, by : everyone I know), but in no way are they new entrants to the market, the product is. So, among other things I'm sure, they needed to sit down and come up with something big to get back in it. Enter the Mako, which, in my opinion, is the most innovative skate launch from the major players thus far. It turns the traditional perception of a hockey skate boot on its head, while capitalizing (or attempting to capitalize, at this point) on proven technologies (heat mouldability, general mobility, composite boot construction etc.). This is big, this is ambitious and Easton knows it.

So why price at $799? I think that you guys nailed the perception aspect of it, so I'll try to stir up some debate by floating some thoughts out for the experts to read (and hopefully correct if need be). Easton would've had to examine sales data from their competitors, especially, in my opinion from the Reebok 20K, which, if you guys remember, we had another small discussion about its pricing. The 20K was priced similarly, along the lines of Bauer's top products where the 11K was priced lower. I think it would be useful if a comparison between the two prices, change in retail market share and brand image was compiled. Curious to see what the RBZ skate will be priced at. If Easton had put out another ski-boot stiff composite skate instead (think APX, T1), I do not think that they would've priced that at $799 because the market already has more established brands offering similar product at that pricepoint. Having a boot like the Mako there is interesting because it is almost a completely new concept; product differentiation.

Overall, I would imagine that (so don't quote me obviously) Easton had two distinct options: a low risk/low potential return/low price option and a risky/high price option. Pricing at a bracket below other top-ends might result in slightly more sales when thinking of price vs demand, as well as perhaps growing the brand image positively at a steady rate (don't know how one would measure that). The ambitious pricing has its implications already mentioned by previous posters. As we can see, Easton believes that they can be sucessful with this launch (TGIF); they're going big.

I find it surprising that after hearing that Easton's hockey department is struggling that they have an MSRP of $799 for the Mako. If they put it at $699 I would think they would sell many more pairs. They just can't compete with Bauer in skates. They have to sell them cheaper to have a chance IMO. The MLX skates weren't marketed all that well, but they ended up selling them for 50% off within a few months of them being released IIRC. Two of my coworkers paid $400 for their MLX's. They were happy with the skates, but they wouldn't have spent $800 on them. I know that for sure. Plus, the skates broke down completely after just over one year for both and I think one of the guys even had his replaced on warranty partway through. Hopefully the Mako's are more durable. Definitely looks like an interesting skate though. I look forward to seeing them in person and trying them on. I just wish they offered them in a C width. Why did Easton ever get rid of their narrows?

They're priced lower than other top end skates. I too ran into the MLX skate breakdown on the heel. Nothing some epoxy couldnt fix.

They're relatively narrow, I think. Perhaps the D will fit you just right.

From a technical standpoint (fit notwithstanding) the Makos are a phenomenal skate, and I think most of the gearheads here on MSH would agree. However, our population (or people who are overly concerned/interested with the technical aspects of a product) represents a small percentage of the broader hockey playing community, and what I've seen is that the demographic buying an $800 skate is your typical PHEW-type player who is more concerned with aesthetics than function. This is where the Mako fails in my opinion, as I've heard things like "it looks like a rental skate" being thrown around my LHS and local rink. The unfortunate reality is that regardless of performance, concept, features, or fit, people will spend $800 on the Bauer alternative because "its prettier." This obviously isn't a new concept but it certainly applies here.

/rant.

My expectation is that you'll see the RBZ somewhere around the $750-800 range. I think the bigger question that Easton's pricing of the Mako brings about is, "what makes it $200 more than the RS?" or vice versa.

U.S retial for the RBZ senior is 750$.

My expectation is that you'll see the RBZ somewhere around the $750-800 range. I think the bigger question that Easton's pricing of the Mako brings about is, "what makes it $200 more than the RS?" or vice versa.

From a technical standpoint (fit notwithstanding) the Makos are a phenomenal skate, and I think most of the gearheads here on MSH would agree. However, our population (or people who are overly concerned/interested with the technical aspects of a product) represents a small percentage of the broader hockey playing community, and what I've seen is that the demographic buying an $800 skate is your typical PHEW-type player who is more concerned with aesthetics than function. This is where the Mako fails in my opinion, as I've heard things like "it looks like a rental skate" being thrown around my LHS and local rink. The unfortunate reality is that regardless of performance, concept, features, or fit, people will spend $800 on the Bauer alternative because "its prettier." This obviously isn't a new concept but it certainly applies here.

/rant.

Another way to look at it is what Mission faced with their Pure (Pure Fly/S500/AG120) series. A highly technical skate however didn't have the brand mindshare in that category to get over the hump.

Has anyone that's been to a shop to try these on been allowed to bake them before making the purchase decision? I know it was mentioned before that stores should allow baking ginven the selling points of the skate, but I'm curious to see if any stores actually are allowing customers to do so.

Has anyone that's been to a shop to try these on been allowed to bake them before making the purchase decision? I know it was mentioned before that stores should allow baking ginven the selling points of the skate, but I'm curious to see if any stores actually are allowing customers to do so.

I did. The guys in the shop know me as the MLX guy, and were real curious to get my feeback while they sharpened my skates. They baked a pair and sent me out on their synthetic ice and asked me to give them my thoughts.

Here's what I said:

They feel lighter than my MLX in my hands, but the fit was very much on par. IF I didnt look down, I'd swear I had my skates on. Very similar boot.

Boot fit after baking was better. It took me 3 bakings to get the right fit on mine, this one felt good the first time. If I bought them, I might punch out the same hotspot on my right foot just a little, but it was almost grab and go on this boot after the first 10 minute bake. The tendon guard is identical in function, but does 'feel' different; a little less stiff. Skating on them, my stride feels very similar, though. The boot fit in the arch area is similar, and retains the slight elevation of the top of my foot that the MLX had. If you have a tall foot it might give you pause. But having skated on MLX for over a year now, it doesnt bother me. The tongue is not removable anymore, feels similar, but not identical. Maybe a little thinner, but comfortable.

Would I buy them if I was in need of skates? Yes, in a heartbeat. Its feel great in all the right places on my foot.

Would I trade my MLX skates for them today? Probably not; mine are less than a year old. It would be the right progression if mine were worn out.

All in all, its a better looking finished product than the MLX, and a little less weighty. As far as fit and skating, it's like I was was wearing my own.

Tried them on recently. Heel lock was good compared to bauer but not as good as in s17 territory. Tight skate in the forefoot and would wrap well when baked i think, depth issues to be expected for a lot of people, did not seem like a deep boot at all, not sure if baking can fix that.

The extended tongue was bothering me a bit because it was not put really nicely inside. Build quality was ok, a bit of extra glue here and there and the stiching was not best at some spots.

Overall great skate but i would definately not pay 900$+taxes for this skate.

I did. The guys in the shop know me as the MLX guy, and were real curious to get my feeback while they sharpened my skates. They baked a pair and sent me out on their synthetic ice and asked me to give them my thoughts.

Here's what I said:

They feel lighter than my MLX in my hands, but the fit was very much on par. IF I didnt look down, I'd swear I had my skates on. Very similar boot.

Boot fit after baking was better. It took me 3 bakings to get the right fit on mine, this one felt good the first time. If I bought them, I might punch out the same hotspot on my right foot just a little, but it was almost grab and go on this boot after the first 10 minute bake. The tendon guard is identical in function, but does 'feel' different; a little less stiff. Skating on them, my stride feels very similar, though. The boot fit in the arch area is similar, and retains the slight elevation of the top of my foot that the MLX had. If you have a tall foot it might give you pause. But having skated on MLX for over a year now, it doesnt bother me. The tongue is not removable anymore, feels similar, but not identical. Maybe a little thinner, but comfortable.

Would I buy them if I was in need of skates? Yes, in a heartbeat. Its feel great in all the right places on my foot.

Would I trade my MLX skates for them today? Probably not; mine are less than a year old. It would be the right progression if mine were worn out.

All in all, its a better looking finished product than the MLX, and a little less weighty. As far as fit and skating, it's like I was was wearing my own.

I think it's hilarious they baked a pair and sent you out to skate on them (assuming within an hour or maybe two), got their feedback, and what? Put them back in the stock room?

Edited by interpathway

Normally I'd agree, but the Makos are an exception in my mind. They can be reheated, and remolded. One skate on synthetic ice is not that big of a deal. Replace the steel and it's basically brand new.

The skates generally require a cool down period before use after they are baked. He basically went wild on synthetic ice while the materials were in their pliable state.

I think it's hilarious they baked a pair and sent you out to skate on them (assuming within an hour or maybe two), got their feedback, and what? Put them back in the stock room?

its like throwing me keys to a brand new porsche and being told to drive it. So I drive it.......like I stole it. I wont be paying for the wear and tear.

I too ran into the MLX skate breakdown on the heel. Nothing some epoxy couldnt fix.

Not sure if this was the case for you, or others, but I read this on the MLX site...

How do I get the best fit after baking the skates?

When putting your MLX Skates on, because the skate will mold in

the ankle area better than any other skate, there is no need to

“bang” the heel of the skate down to lock the heel/ankle into

place. Doing so may result in premature breakdown of the

carbon fiber in the ankle area

Since the Mako is such a different skate than anything else, I wonder if they will market downspec models in the future. Currently, it's analogous to only having the NXG available in the Supreme line. In that respect, I'd be interested in the junior model for my son, but a $500 skate for a squirt is a bit much. It would be a different story if they could compete with the one.8, though. It would seem to make sense to produce models that could compete with the lower price points in other lines. OTOH, they could take a "no compromise" approach and say there's no other way to do it other than to do it right. I expect at some point, Easton won't want to leave money on the table that could be picked up at lower price points, though.

A squirt doesn't need to be in a high end skate.

Edited by iceman8310

The skates generally require a cool down period before use after they are baked. He basically went wild on synthetic ice while the materials were in their pliable state.

There was about a 45-55 minute lag before any skating. Im not a "knowledgeable" gearhead, so I omitted that fact out of ignorance (shouldnt have). My skates were being sharpened, and I ended up buying two kids' worth of new gear and new sticks for myself during the same trip to the store.

It was nowhere near 2 hours, but wasnt straight from the oven to the ice either. They werent brought out from a retail box, FWIW. I'd venture a guess that these would be demos, as there is always demo gear available to test out, including skates and sticks.

Not sure if this was the case for you, or others, but I read this on the MLX site...

How do I get the best fit after baking the skates?

When putting your MLX Skates on, because the skate will mold in

the ankle area better than any other skate, there is no need to

“bang” the heel of the skate down to lock the heel/ankle into

place. Doing so may result in premature breakdown of the

carbon fiber in the ankle area

Nah, mine had to do with re-riveting and just heavy use over their lifespan.

There was about a 45-55 minute lag before any skating. Im not a "knowledgeable" gearhead, so I omitted that fact out of ignorance (shouldnt have). My skates were being sharpened, and I ended up buying two kids' worth of new gear and new sticks for myself during the same trip to the store.

It was nowhere near 2 hours, but wasnt straight from the oven to the ice either. They werent brought out from a retail box, FWIW. I'd venture a guess that these would be demos, as there is always demo gear available to test out, including skates and sticks.

Ah, that makes more sense. A demo pair would certainly be more likely to be thrown onto someones feet and taken for a spin.

New here, thanks everyone for the help. I'm an old timer skating on Vapor XX and Graf 704. Tried the Makos today at the LHS and without baking them they felt really good, just a little high arches. One thing I noticed was the holders are 280s on a size 9.5. Please keep in mind that I haven't bought skates in a long time but why are they using that size? My Vapors, Grafs and an old set of Supremes all had 288 holders. Is this something being done to get the skates to turn easier? I always thought the longer the blade the faster the skate.

Did you have the 288's specifically put on? A size 9.5 in Bauer has always been a 280 holder, in fact I'm still skating in a pair of Vapor XX's that are a 9.5D with a 280 holder, and the Graf 705's 9.5R I tried out last year were a 280 holder as well. I do believe the Bauer 9.5EE may have had a 288 holder on it though.

My Bauers are 9.5EE and Grafs are 704 9.5 W. Both have the original holders. Why do the have the longer holders on the wider sizes? And thanks for the response. Just trying to figure out if I want to put 288 on the Makos or just try the 280.