Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Picked up mine today. 4 Hour drive each way but the staff have always treated me well so I don't mind.

I was hoping they'd be the best of MLX and EQ series combined. So far they seem to be just that.

The blades are longer than the EQ but shorter than the MLX of the same size. Stance is definitely more forward than the MLX. Notable to skate until Monday so we'll see how they are then. 50 grams lighter per skate than the MLX on a simple food scale.

Is anyone selling extra steel yet? I rotate blades out to No-Icing since the sharpening options here are not good.

Aireaye - Hard to say exactly without skating, but they seem more forward than Vapors, CCM U+ pro and certainly my '98 Bauer 3000s. (yes I've been trying to find the perfect fitting skate).

They seem pretty close walking around to the EQ5.

The manager of the shop where I bought them said he felt like he was going to fall on his face when he first put them on, but adjusted after 5 minutes on the ice.

I didn't notice that much difference but my EQs have a fairly aggressive forward bias on the radius. The EQM for my local Central League team did the same on my MLX but it didn't come close to the EQ.

• Like 1

Aireaye - Hard to say exactly without skating, but they seem more forward than Vapors, CCM U+ pro and certainly my '98 Bauer 3000s. (yes I've been trying to find the perfect fitting skate).

They seem pretty close walking around to the EQ5.

The manager of the shop where I bought them said he felt like he was going to fall on his face when he first put them on, but adjusted after 5 minutes on the ice.

I didn't notice that much difference but my EQs have a fairly aggressive forward bias on the radius. The EQM for my local Central League team did the same on my MLX but it didn't come close to the EQ.

I know Mission AG skates had a little bit of a forward pitch to them (neutral setting), but I didn't feel like I was too far out on my toes when I put the Makos on. To be honest, I didn't even notice the difference, they felt right to me from the first time I put them on.

Any comment on first day sales from shop guys seeing how much Easton was pushing the skate release on Twitter and Facebook?

I tried them on today and they fit my foot extremely well. I thought that the NXG/TotalOne/One95 felt great before baking, but the Makos took it to another level for me;felt like i was putting my foot into a sneaker. At the store people seemed to be excited about them, and they had them out on stands. I'm going to have to wait a little bit to get a pair though.

I tried them on today and they fit my foot extremely well. I thought that the NXG/TotalOne/One95 felt great before baking, but the Makos took it to another level for me;felt like i was putting my foot into a sneaker. At the store people seemed to be excited about them, and they had them out on stands. I'm going to have to wait a little bit to get a pair though.

i have had a pair witing for me, im also waiting for some durabilty reports first before i drop more coin on skates

My son tried on a pair today, he loved them. Now that I have had a chance to see these in person, I have concerns about durabiltiy. My son is a grinder type player his skates look like they have been through war. How good is Easton at standing behind their product? How long would they expect these to hold up under normal wear. I can't see that webbing on the side panels holding up all that well, but I could be wrong. Also the pair he tried was a 9.5 D and they looked to be a D, but I pulled the insole out to look at the inside and the sticker on the bottom said 9.5 EE. Could these have been put in the wrong box from the factory? They only had one pair of 9.5s so I couldnt campare them to another pair.

My son tried on a pair today, he loved them. Now that I have had a chance to see these in person, I have concerns about durabiltiy. My son is a grinder type player his skates look like they have been through war. How good is Easton at standing behind their product? How long would they expect these to hold up under normal wear. I can't see that webbing on the side panels holding up all that well, but I could be wrong. Also the pair he tried was a 9.5 D and they looked to be a D, but I pulled the insole out to look at the inside and the sticker on the bottom said 9.5 EE. Could these have been put in the wrong box from the factory? They only had one pair of 9.5s so I couldnt campare them to another pair.

If it's simply a decision of whether to buy that pair of skates, I wouldn't concern myself right now with the size marked on the bottom of the insole, or even the skate itself. Sizing helps you select skates to try on. Once you've tried them on, it's a question of how they fit. If the fit's right, the skate's right.

I was wondering if someone could help as i am not the best skater in the world and have short wide feet with no heel i have a pair of custom one95s that are dying. I tried a pair of custom grafg75s but i think the guy did the measurements wrong as they have never fit great. I wanted to try the mlx but i was too late and have been reading all the posts and reviews i can find on the mako. I tried a pair of 6.5 d yesterday and once they warmed them up a little they fit but i am worried about depth and of course my heel. When i walked around rhe store i had no movement but i have tried at before and been disappointed. I dont mind spending the money but am wondering if i will not be a good enough skater to benefit from the mako and instead swear at them every day. Anyone with some advise for an average skater?

Kind of bummed. Store only had 7.5 and higher and I'm probably a 6.5

I tried on the 7.5 and the top of my foot was bulging out above the skate. Failed the pencil test miserably

Wrangler I was curious if these were the wide or the normal width. My son has a narrow foot, his last pair was a set of custom APX with C width. These appeared to fit him, I was at a store where there wasnt anyone that has much experience fitting skates. If we decide to buy them I will drive a couple hours south to get them from a store with more experienced help. From what I can tell from reading here getting a skate on the narrow side would allow the skate to open up when baked and ultimaltely fit his foot better. I was asking the question to get an idea if the skates he tried on are a D width and as narrow as they get or a EE width and there is a more narrow width available. I'm waiting a few months to see if there are questions about durability before we make a purchase.

Edited by lohnman

Wrangler I was curious if these were the wide or the normal width. My son has a narrow foot, his last pair was a set of custom APX with C width. These appeared to fit him, I was at a store where there wasnt anyone that has much experience fitting skates. If we decide to buy them I will drive a couple hours south to get them from a store with more experienced help. From what I can tell from reading here getting a skate on the narrow side would allow the skate to open up when baked and ultimaltely fit his foot better. I was asking the question to get an idea if the skates he tried on are a D width and as narrow as they get or a EE width and there is a more narrow width available. I'm waiting a few months to see if there are questions about durability before we make a purchase.

When you said "he loved them", I thought you meant that they fit very well, and that's what you should be looking for.

Got mine and I'm happy to say that the high arch didn't end up being a problem after they were baked, it flattened out nicely. The only issue I'm having is that the top of the skates near the top eyelet on the outside of each skate is rubbing my ankles pretty badly. I just spot heated them and sort of rolled that part outward a bit. I'm hoping that fixes this little issue. I skate again tomorrow so I'll see if that does it. Other than that I'm very happy with my purchase. The skates are extremely comfortable. I would compare the pitch on them to my Kors that had the pitch set to +3 which is perfect for me.

Was your instep ( about the 3rd eyelet from the top down to about the 6th) bulging out above the boot? That's where my problem area was as far as volume goes. They seem like a real shallow skate as far as depth goes

I tried them on and found them quite comfortable. The one thing I really liked was how far into the toecap the tongue padding extended. Though I wasn't able to get them on without them being heated a little bit first (about 5 minutes). I'm not sure if they're right for me though, I think I'm between sizes as the 9 felt like I was spilling over the sides of the skate a little bit, the 9EE felt too wide in the heel, and the 9.5 felt like it might be a touch too long. I wear a 9C in TotalOne NXG but I wear a 9.5R in Graf so I'm not sure about sizing.

Edited by shooter27

I have just returned from trying on the Mako's at HM. The skate is really nice overall. After a "half" bake, I must say the heel of the skate felt incredible. The length was a little long, as I was trying on a 5.5. The volume seemed slightly too shallow for my foot, however I felt no pressure from the tongue/laces, which was a very pleasant change from other skates I have tried before. The width was insufficient for me in the mid-foot, ball of the foot area. My feet went numb very quickly, however I wasn't in pain as I often suffer from other skates in that area. Lastly the top of the boot dug into my leg while I was sitting there, but I know that can be easily remedied. I can't say the skate has met all my expectations yet, I really need to try it in my size 5.0-Wide to truly tell.

Just for reference, I currently wear a 20K 5.0-EE

The one thing I was disappointed in was the fact that HM did not have a full size/width run on a brand new skate to try on.

Edited by Sputnik20

Got to use mine for 1st time today. Thought it would take a longer adjustment to the pitch but within a few minutes felt fine. Even felt fine on backwards crossovers. No sore spots anywhere, was like I has been using them for months. Definitely notice much more forward flex compared to my X60s and bit more than even my MLX's.

All but 2 of my shops skate boxes for the Mako say 10 mins @ 200*, the others say 16 mins.

The only thing I think that might worry me is how small the ankle pads are compared to all other top end skates that are out there.

Tried these on twice in the past couple of days. Noticed that the high arches were really were pinching on my inner foot. Not painful, but I could imagine skating in these and be in pain at the end of it.

For all of those who had the same feeling with the arches, was this the description you had of how they felt when the skate was on before the bake? Can you confirm how much the discomfort went away?

Dude, judging from your experiences from the other thread, I think you are stuck with either the Nexus line or deep Grafs.

Kind of bummed. Store only had 7.5 and higher and I'm probably a 6.5

I tried on the 7.5 and the top of my foot was bulging out above the skate. Failed the pencil test miserably