Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

The one thing I was disappointed in was the fact that HM did not have a full size/width run on a brand new skate to try on.

I was at HM in Irvine yesterday and was told that each store got one of each size for the release. So if they had already sold the size you were looking for, that explains why they didn't have it for you to try on.

Tried these on twice in the past couple of days. Noticed that the high arches were really were pinching on my inner foot. Not painful, but I could imagine skating in these and be in pain at the end of it.

For all of those who had the same feeling with the arches, was this the description you had of how they felt when the skate was on before the bake? Can you confirm how much the discomfort went away?

Yes, before the bake, and a little after. That was alleviated by spot heating that one area and applying some pressure with my thumb to 'punch' that area out a little. No discomfort at all, still wraps great around my foot, just need that little itty bit of extra room for my left mid foot.

• Like 1

Im afraid I already know the answer to this, but... with heat molding is it possible to get the same heel shape as a Graf 705 (almost straight)? I love my 705s, but theyre starting to go soft so I'm looking at other/stiffer options.

Edited by Stanello

Got these for my son a few days ago. He has been on them three times so far.

Background:

13 year old AAA hockey player. He stands about 5'6", weighs about 120lbs. Very strong, very technical skater. He has very skinny feet and bony ankles.

Previous skates were Vapor APX.

Fitting process:

His skinny feet seemed to be just right for the D width in the Makos. Fit seemed ideal prior to baking.

The shop really got these things hot and soft. When the laces were tightened it was really quite amazing. The mesh on the sides and around the ankles drew inward. It literally formed visibly around his bony ankles.

Even more amazing, the skate actually got a bit deeper due to the expansion of the mesh material expanding as the skates were laced. This is unlike other skates where that would mean that the skate got bigger. In this case, the material got tighter around the foot and created more wrap.

The fitter was telling me that Dave Cruikshank explained it that you don't judge the fit/lacing pattern of this skate like you would other skates. You can achieve more wrap than you would on traditional skates and in this case that is a good thing.

First skate:

My son felt comfortable within a minute or two. Within about ten minutes he was skating better than ever. My take is that even with a narrow skate like the APX he probably didn't get as exact a fit as he got with the Mako. He described it as feeling as though a blade was attached directly to his foot. No sore spots. He has fairly flat feet and pronates. In his previous skates he has always worn a custom insole. Not only did the arch form such that it didnt hurt, his probation is gone in this skate- probably due to a better fit around his ankle. Huge grin on his face.

Subsequent skates:

It only got better. Perfect comfort and his stride is unreal.

Notes: we have the Mako standard footbed in place. The way this boot forms and the way the arch is constructed, as well as the fact that the arch actually molds makes the need for a custom insole obsolete.

He previously skated on a CAG profile of 25/50. We haven't profiled these skates, they were just sharpened with his usual 90/75 FBV. We were going to try the stock profile and adjust from there, but he doesn't want to change anything.

This is unusual, he is really finicky about his skates and can feel any change to his blades. In this case, he is in love.

These skates are truly amazing. Easton has taken the concept of eliminating negative space to a whole new level. While these skates may not be for everybody, they are definitely worth consideration if you are looking to buy a high end skate.

There has been a lot of talk about the price of these skates, and how expensive they are. I have a daughter that figure skates competitively and she recently needed new skates also. All I can say is, is that the Makos are way more advanced technologically and are significantly less expensive.

At the end of the day, my boy is one happy hockey player.

I was at HM in Irvine yesterday and was told that each store got one of each size for the release. So if they had already sold the size you were looking for, that explains why they didn't have it for you to try on.

I guarantee that they don't get one of each size/width (at least not in Easton) since there were no 5.0-Regular, 5.0-Wide, 5.5-Wide, 7.5-Wide. I find it hard to believe that they would have sold those sizes within two days of release, especially the wides in 5.0 and 5.5. A Bauer skate maybe, but an Easton?

I guarantee that they don't get one of each size/width (at least not in Easton) since there were no 5.0-Regular, 5.0-Wide, 5.5-Wide, 7.5-Wide. I find it hard to believe that they would have sold those sizes within two days of release, especially the wides in 5.0 and 5.5. A Bauer skate maybe, but an Easton?

With all of the marketing push behind them, it wouldn't be surprising at all.

Yes, before the bake, and a little after. That was alleviated by spot heating that one area and applying some pressure with my thumb to 'punch' that area out a little. No discomfort at all, still wraps great around my foot, just need that little itty bit of extra room for my left mid foot.

Just curious, did you try a EE on?

I was there Saturday morning and they mentioned they had sold 4 pairs on Friday. In addition, they mentioned someone else had already called that morning stating they were coming in to buy either the 6 or 6.5D. Several of the employees I spoke to said they were a little annoyed that they couldn't try on their preferred sizes because they had either already been sold or someone had called ahead to say they were coming in to buy them. That was Saturday morning. Given that you're talking about being in the shop a day later, I could fully understand how they had already sold those four sizes. I get that it sucks they didn't have the sizes you wanted to try on, but it's not their fault that the pair in that size they were allocated were already sold.

I was there Saturday morning and they mentioned they had sold 4 pairs on Friday. In addition, they mentioned someone else had already called that morning stating they were coming in to buy either the 6 or 6.5D. Several of the employees I spoke to said they were a little annoyed that they couldn't try on their preferred sizes because they had either already been sold or someone had called ahead to say they were coming in to buy them. That was Saturday morning. Given that you're talking about being in the shop a day later, I could fully understand how they had already sold those four sizes. I get that it sucks they didn't have the sizes you wanted to try on, but it's not their fault that the pair in that size they were allocated were already sold.

A good friend of mine is an assistant store manager there, and he has confirmed that they did not receive the 5.0 and 5.5 wide. The sizes they did sell were in the senior range.

I get that it sucks they didn't have the sizes you wanted to try on, but it's not their fault that the pair in that size they were allocated were already sold.

Sounds like Easton wasn't really ready to launch the skate on the 15th, with some stores allocated only a single pair per size and some nothing smaller than a 7-1/2. Let's see how long it takes for additonal sizes and widths to make it into the stores.

the closest size the store near me had them in was about 1 to 1.5 sizes bigger then what I'll need. My foot was bulging out the top of the boot (volume/instep issue). Are you guys saying that baking may correct that issue in these?

Sounds like Easton wasn't really ready to launch the skate on the 15th, with some stores allocated only a single pair per size and some nothing smaller than a 7-1/2. Let's see how long it takes for additonal sizes and widths to make it into the stores.

From what I was told by the employees at HM, they were scheduled to get their personal pairs by the middle of this week, so I wouldn't think it would be too long.

Baking does not increase volume.

the closest size the store near me had them in was about 1 to 1.5 sizes bigger then what I'll need. My foot was bulging out the top of the boot (volume/instep issue). Are you guys saying that baking may correct that issue in these?

mojo122, on 18 Mar 2013 - 16:13, said:

Edited by chippa13

Got these for my son a few days ago. He has been on them three times so far.

The thing in your post that jumped out at me was the flat feet/pronation comment. My son has joint hyperlaxity (overly flexible joints) and because of this has what looks to most like flat fleet but is really over pronation. I have been through many different skates over the years including Grafs trying to help him out. We also always use superfeet in his skates. I could live with the price of these skates if they would help his pronation issues, if I believed I could get let's say a year out of them. Thankfully at eleven and size 6.5 he has outgrown the new skates every six months phase and I now only have to get them around once a year. However, I'm worried since these wrap and form so well that the will only fit him on the day that he gets them molded (exaggerating of course). Do you know/expect that you will be able to reheat these over the course of a year to get them relatively well fitting to his growing foot for more than a few months.

Thanks.

Very glad I didn't take the trek up to HM, then. I was going to go tomorrow to check them out, but from the sounds of it, it would be a waste of gas. I'll try again in a month or so when they hopefully have some stock again.

Very glad I didn't take the trek up to HM, then. I was going to go tomorrow to check them out, but from the sounds of it, it would be a waste of gas. I'll try again in a month or so when they hopefully have some stock again.

That's fine. A month might be enough time for you to get to NJ anyways.

That's fine. A month might be enough time for you to get to NJ anyways.

Luckily I'm done with the NJ project. I found somebody to take over who was local :)

The thing in your post that jumped out at me was the flat feet/pronation comment. My son has joint hyperlaxity (overly flexible joints) and because of this has what looks to most like flat fleet but is really over pronation. I have been through many different skates over the years including Grafs trying to help him out. We also always use superfeet in his skates. I could live with the price of these skates if they would help his pronation issues, if I believed I could get let's say a year out of them. Thankfully at eleven and size 6.5 he has outgrown the new skates every six months phase and I now only have to get them around once a year. However, I'm worried since these wrap and form so well that the will only fit him on the day that he gets them molded (exaggerating of course). Do you know/expect that you will be able to reheat these over the course of a year to get them relatively well fitting to his growing foot for more than a few months.

Thanks.

For the pronation, I'd try to change the holder allignment and bring it more to the inside or outside depending on the foot.

I'd also try sidas custom hockey footbed.

For the pronation, I'd try to change the holder allignment and bring it more to the inside or outside depending on the foot.

I'd suggest shimming before moving the holder (or a combination of shimming and moving the holder if the change by shimming isn't drastic enough). What his son might benefit from is a higher-cut boot as well with a bit more support.

I have often considered that, but I don't think there is anyone around here (St. Louis LHS's) who has enough knowledge of skates, foot mechanics and the actual mechanics of moving a holder to succesfully pull it off. BTW... I'm not meaning to slight LHS's... I just figured a podiatrist would probably need to be involved to get it right (and even then... I would imagine you can't do too much trial and error before you start ruining the skate).

Edited by AfftonDad