Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I have often considered that, but I don't think there is anyone around here (St. Louis LHS's) who has enough knowledge of skates, foot mechanics and the actual mechanics of moving a holder to succesfully pull it off. BTW... I'm not meaning to slight LHS's... I just figured a podiatrist would probably need to be involved to get it right (and even then... I would imagine you can't do too much trial and error before you start ruining the skate).

(off topic, sorry about that) I guess you've seen it before but we never know, interesting inputs from the guys: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51457-pronation-questions/

***His foot may have settled back into the heel pocket after baking which made him think they got deeper. ***

Nope. I am talking about the vamping (where the mesh is) getting taller or stretching. Not so much that it will fix the fit for a foot that won't go in the skate properly.

That said, if you are borderline it may be enough of a difference once baked.

Skated on them tonight. A practice and 1/2 hour scrimmage. It took 5 minutes to get used to the forward stance. Very aggressive. I didn't notice just how forward walking around but it was very noticeable on the ice.

Had a bit of trouble at first during skating drills as there was far too much bite but that's due to 3/8ths vs my normal 9/16ths cut I'd guess.

Super comfortable. No pain what so ever. The most noticeable aspects to the skate were how tight I cut corners in cone drills and acceleration.

I was beating one of my 25 year old players (I'm over 50...) off the line and to top of the circle. He typically runs right with me but tonight I was out accelerating him.

Top speed seemed unchanged.

During scrimmage all I can say is I didn't think about them. I just played hockey. That's the best testamant to my belief I've found my skate.

For anybody who has skated in them, is your foot all the way down in the boot the whole way? If you look in chadd's long term review he has a pic that shows his foot above the boot. I tried on a pair and mine was also above from the 3rd eyelet from the top down to about the 6th. Seems to be the same problem with every skate I try on and causes circulation issues. Seeing if anybody had issues with this or if I didn't pass the pencil test but it didn't affect you

So you are thinking this is a better skate than Bauer APX?

I would never say one skate is better than another comparable level of skate. APX and Mako are both top tier skates. Mako fits me very very well and is comfortable.

I like the extra forward flex because it fits my skating style. I like that it's not as stiff as APX.

Vapor series skates simply don't feel right to me.

It's my personal belief that many players can't flex super stiff skates and thus don't benefit from an skate like an APX but that's only my opinion.

Wear what fits your feet and your skating style and ability.

• Like 1

For anybody who has skated in them, is your foot all the way down in the boot the whole way? If you look in chadd's long term review he has a pic that shows his foot above the boot. I tried on a pair and mine was also above from the 3rd eyelet from the top down to about the 6th. Seems to be the same problem with every skate I try on and causes circulation issues. Seeing if anybody had issues with this or if I didn't pass the pencil test but it didn't affect you

When I get home I will try to remember and take a pic now that the boot has been baked.

Thanks. Forgot one more. For those that wear Bauer, how does sizing in makos compare? Same? Bigger? I wear 6 d in vapor or supreme

So far, I have heard they fit the same (size wise).

Thanks. Forgot one more. For those that wear Bauer, how does sizing in makos compare? Same? Bigger? I wear 6 d in vapor or supreme

Your best bet is to try them on. I have heard of a couple of guys who went up 1/2 size.

The 8.5D fit my foot length fine, but they feel crazy narrow, to the point where they are pushing on my in-step. I am a size 10 shoe and coming from an 8.5D APX. Would baking provide more comfort in this area? Has anyone had the skate apply pressure to the insides of their foot and had this relieved after baking? Wondering if baking will cause skate to mold/wrap around that area better. Such a tough call as I can't tell before actually baking...

Edited by Dangles83

The 8.5D fit my foot length fine, but they feel crazy narrow, to the point where they are pushing on my in-step. I am a size 10 shoe and coming from an 8.5D APX. Would baking provide more comfort in this area? Has anyone had the skate apply pressure to the insides of their foot and had this relieved after baking? Wondering if baking will cause skate to mold/wrap around that area better. Such a tough call as I can't tell before actually baking...

If your 8.5 APX fit you well with no issues, I would have a tough time convincing myself to switch if a prospective new skate felt like it had considerable fit issues. I certainly had a lot of interest in the Mako, but I wouldn't have looked past problems with fit. I just lucked out in that regard I guess.

If your 8.5 APX fit you well with no issues, I would have a tough time convincing myself to switch if a prospective new skate felt like it had considerable fit issues. I certainly had a lot of interest in the Mako, but I wouldn't have looked past problems with fit. I just lucked out in that regard I guess.

I hear ya...I am just curious if the fit issues are really issues just because they have not been molded to my foot yet. My APX are great, but I feel that there is just a bit too much negative space in the boot, whereas there is none in the Mako. If baking the Mako, truly wraps and allows foot to shape the boot a bit, these may be great.

Dangles, I'm also a size 10 shoe and went with the size 8 Mako's. I think I could have gone with the 8.5 too but the 8 still felt like it fit but it was just tight on my smaller toes before baking. The arch on them was also very high for my feet and actually caused my one foot to go numb after skating in a game in them. I just rebaked that one skate and the problem totally disappeared. The arches no longer both me at all and the toe area is pefect now too. Plus the heel lock is just right. Hope that helps. It may take more than one bake or just spot heating to get them perfect if they don't come out exact the first time.

Dangles, I'm also a size 10 shoe and went with the size 8 Mako's. I think I could have gone with the 8.5 too but the 8 still felt like it fit but it was just tight on my smaller toes before baking. The arch on them was also very high for my feet and actually caused my one foot to go numb after skating in a game in them. I just rebaked that one skate and the problem totally disappeared. The arches no longer both me at all and the toe area is pefect now too. Plus the heel lock is just right. Hope that helps. It may take more than one bake or just spot heating to get them perfect if they don't come out exact the first time.

That's very helpful, thank you. Glad to hear that molding is that responsive! They are quite a shallow boot, and that's a bit odd because I'm not used to it...having said that, I am thinking that will only aid in the overall feel of the skate.

Made an account to give my experience with these skates.

My shoe size is 9.5 and I was previously wearing a 7.5 CCM U+ CL that had been stretched and punched for width. I still had pain in the forefoot area. I tried on the Mako in a size 8 and had trouble getting my foot in the boot because it was so narrow. I tied them up a little bit more loose than I would before actually skating and sat/walked around for about 10 minutes to gauge how my foot fit. There was a little pressure in the forefoot and arch area. Even then, it was significantly less than the CCMs so I decided to make the purchase and have them baked. Everyone saying that they are as pliable as a pair of sneakers post-bake is spot on. Aside from the heat, I could hardly tell that I had them on after I laced them up. The boot just wraps around your foot.

I played one game on them last night and they felt like I had worn them for years. No pain at all. Great responsiveness. Acceleration was effortless. Instead of wearing a pair of skates, It was like my feet had runners. It took me about 5 minutes of warm-up to get mostly used to the taller holders and forward pitch. As a defenseman, my lateral movement was improved as well, although I found myself a little more on my toes than normal since I'm not 100% used to the skates.

My only concern is the durability. The mesh on the outside doesn't seem as tough/robust as the other high end skates, but only time will tell. Besides the durability concerns, I'm very happy with these skates. They're a great step forward in technology.

Edited by jazzyjoey

The arch was high before I baked them on the inside of both my feet. The right skate fixed itself on the first bake but the left one took another bake to settle down. Now they feel like slippers. They were very responsive to the baking and I now have no issues to report with them.

The arch is high or volume low? I thought I read these would be good for people with flat feet cause of low volume.

Hey everybody just picked up my Mako skates and sitting here after baking one skate in the oven. The box shows 10 minutes @200F I decided to leave them in the oven for 8 minutes, 4 minutes per side and WOW what a difference. I put them on before baking and had trouble getting my foot into the boot. At first glance I thought there was no way I'll get my foot in there. It was a little painful getting my foot in because they were rubbing right up against eyelets and they felt boxy. After baking it was so much easier to get my foot in and they feel absolutely great! I am not feeling any soreness on the outside of my forefoot like I have with previous skates. Also with an average heel I can feel that my heel has locked in pretty good. Sometime this week I'll try to get on the ice and see how they are so far I am definitely impressed with the fit of these skates. I think I finally found a pair that I can stay with :)

Been on the ice twice with my Mako's. They live up to all the hype. By far the best skate I have ever worn. Comfortable for the most part but I am having some irritation in my arches. I have baked them twice but the second time the skates were not nearly as hot as they were when they came out of the oven the first time (baked at 2 different rinks). I was thinking about baking them again to help with the arch issue. What do you guys think? Would it be too much to bake them a 3rd time or should the skates be ok. Thanks for any help.

What are all u guys coming from? I was told the stance they put u in is similar to vapor. I really want to try them in my size although I'm worried the volume will be an issue. My vapors are too shallow around the instep, not toe box and front of foot area though. Seems some peeps seemed to be above boot before baking but the bake took care of that some how.

What are all u guys coming from? I was told the stance they put u in is similar to vapor. I really want to try them in my size although I'm worried the volume will be an issue. My vapors are too shallow around the instep, not toe box and front of foot area though. Seems some peeps seemed to be above boot before baking but the bake took care of that some how.

coming from Reebok Platinum. If you try them make sure to have them baked it will make a huge difference in how they fit.