Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

this is what I did, heated up the area and folded over. Then tied the "flap" down and threw in freezer for an hour. Hopefully it works. Hopefully you can see it in this IMAG0690_zpsef6a1fae.jpg

Just did the exact same thing to my Easton S17's to fix pretty much the same issue (i was getting the abrasion a bit further up, directly above the "ball" of my ankle. I have skated in them 3 times since and they are absolutely perfect now, no pain at all. Hopefully this fix does the tricks for you Mako guys as well!

I know a few people have mentioned how thin the footbeds are, well I just found out first hand. I was packing my bag for tomorrow and I went to put the footbeds back in the right skate, but there was already a footbed there. For a minute I though maybe I had already put it in and was just holding the left one by mistake, but nope, the right skate came with two footbeds in it. Now, I've only been on the ice in the saktes once, but I couldn't have told you there were two footbeds until I just saw them. Heck, I didn't even notice when I took the footbed out. I doubt it will have any effect on how the skate performs, but I'm wondering if I should have them rebaked, since the first time I was obviously using two footbeds.

I wouldn't worry about it much. Worst case is you slip the extra footbed in during your skate and then rebake later.

Yeah, that's likely what I'll do. I'm just amazed a pair of skates could make it through QC with two footbeds and then I could skate on it once without noticing. Heck, I didn't even notice when I took the top footbed out to dry, only when I went to put it back in.

I am hoping to buy a pair on Friday, my only concern is the wear and tear factor. I got to try a demo pair for about 2 weeks and I loved them but has anyone had any major issues with wear or quick break down??

No issues at all and I haven't really gone out of my way to baby them. I have been very impressed so far.

I ended up getting them contoured to a neutral, very glad i did. With the ankle rubbing issue resolved with some gel pads as well I am very happy with these skates

I ended up getting them contoured to a neutral, very glad i did. With the ankle rubbing issue resolved with some gel pads as well I am very happy with these skates

nice, i went to +1 and skated on them last nite and they were awesome.

anyone have success with bringing the heel in a little bit? there was an easton video on this thread showing them squeezing the heel in a little bit after a heat spot.

Thought that it would be a good time to give an update.

My son (13 year old Minor Bantam AAA) has had them since they first came out. He has played a lot of tournament hockey this spring, playing in roughly 30 games, a bunch of powerskating sessions, practices and tryouts etc.

Performance:

For him this is the "magic skate".I believe because these skates fit his skinny ankles better than any previous skate, they are just perfect for him...YMMV :cool:

My son says that "you can just feel everthing better". He is definitely skating the best that he ever has. These blades also hold an edge very well. One thing that was mentioned earler, the steel is very hard, you have to make sure that they are completely sharpened when you get them done. Once, the guy probably did about his usual number of passes, and they came out almost unsharpend. These do need a few extra passes than most other steel.

Ultimately, these rate a 10/10 on performance.

Comfort:

They fit like slippers. Comfort is a definite 10/10 !

Durability:

So far so good! The skates look essentially new except for the gouges and scrapes in the toe cap and the holders that comes from playing. 10/10

Protection:

Seems ok. My son is a frequent shot blocker nd has taken quite a few hard shots without any lasting damage. Then again, it's not my feet that are taking those shots. unrated.

Overall:

The way that this skate molds, makes these skates very unique and able to fit in a way that is much more "custom" than any other skate. If they suit your foot, I would say grab a pair.

As for the pitch, which many people have commented on.My son adapted quickly to them, and now loves the stance and as I said earlier, his skating has never been better. It may be that this stance just happens to suit him and wouldn't work as well for others. You would have to find out for yourself.

I should mention, that while he is on what is basically the stock profile, OTG saw what he called a "hump" in the blades, and he smoothed that out for us. How different that made the skates, I don't know.

OTG did say that the blade doesn't sit all the way down into the holders in the middle part of the blade. That apparently will make it somewhat more of a challenge to profile (as you measure down from the holder etc). Not that it can't be done, just make sure that you get someone who knows what they are doing.

I highly recommend these skates if the price doesn't send you running.

Edited by Jordan

where the hell is the replacement steel. this is ridiculous.

The point is, someone shouldn't be needing replacement steel after 2 months. Probably all the steel production they are doing is going into the new skates. This is common. Some times of the year it is hard to get steel from manufacturers, nothing new there. Personally I don't think they should have launched the skate in early spring, should have waited till summer and had replacement steel avail same time.

The point is, someone shouldn't be needing replacement steel after 2 months.

No, strictly speaking, replacement shouldn't be necessary so soon, but your customers, for instance, who mail steel for sharpenings, generally need at least one spare set of steel to swap in/out when the other needs sharpening.

The point is, someone shouldn't be needing replacement steel after 2 months.

That's not true. What if someones steel breaks from a shot? What if like the post above said someone needs replacement steel to mail in? No excuse for one of the major Hockey Skate manufacturers not to have replacement steel/holders ready to go on day 1. Bauer just released a new holder/runner and they are readibly available.There is absolutely no excuse for this. It's poor operational management.

This is not an ideal situation for a skate the company has made their flagship product for the quarter and possibly the future.

Edited by DigiV

No, strictly speaking, replacement shouldn't be necessary so soon, but your customers, for instance, who mail steel for sharpenings, generally need at least one spare set of steel to swap in/out when the other needs sharpening.

Yes this bothers me a lot but as soon as it gets in I'll still sell a bunch, but it is a inconvenience for those who want a spare set. As for breakage, I just don't see these breaking like crazy from shots like the Bauers do. But if someone needed one from a broken blade, I would just steal a runner from a pair on the shelf. Wouldn't let them be without skates. Edit: just checked with Easton, they show steel in stock and allocated which means it's being shipped to dealers.

Edited by jimmy

Yes this bothers me a lot but as soon as it gets in I'll still sell a bunch, but it is a inconvenience for those who want a spare set. As for breakage, I just don't see these breaking like crazy from shots like the Bauers do. But if someone needed one from a broken blade, I would just steal a runner from a pair on the shelf. Wouldn't let them be without skates.

That speaks to your character as an individual, but don't you think from a business standpoint that Easton shouldn't be putting their end users OR their dealers in those positions?

Not really a horrible position, he'll grab a piece of steel from a skate he has in stock and will then replace that piece when he gets stock of replacement steel.

Right, and until that happens he's got a pair of $800 skates that he can't sell because he's been forced to raid them to fill someone's (less lucrative) need for steel. Were I a business owner, I wouldn't be thrilled with that prospect.

Edited by McDugan

I'm not thrilled but my Easton sales rep is top notch and keeps me up to speed, so I would feel confident robbing a set knowing replacements are coming soon. A couple of years ago there was a severe shortage of steel for most brands. I always robbed stock skates if needed in emergencies and it always worked out.

That's not true. What if someones steel breaks from a shot? What if like the post above said someone needs replacement steel to mail in? No excuse for one of the major Hockey Skate manufacturers not to have replacement steel/holders ready to go on day 1. Bauer just released a new holder/runner and they are readibly available.There is absolutely no excuse for this. It's poor operational management.

This is not an ideal situation for a skate the company has made their flagship product for the quarter and possibly the future.

Definitely not ideal, but any effect on marketshare would be closer to my mind in the release date debate, especially if I know the market leader's new release is coming soon. On the other side, supporting your argument, Easton's skate releases have been perceived as problematically hasty, so this is just in keeping with that character.