Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Did you give up due to edge issues, or were there other reasons?

Please let us know how it goes on Sunday. I am curious about the forward lean vs. not, as well as your opinion on the LS3/Edge.

i got it for reasons: too much forward lean, people not sharpening/profiling the skate properly because of the lean so too much toe being taken off, constant noise when stepping on the skate even after tightening the bolts, and i wasn't impressed with the steel all that much.

But no go on the sunday. apparently the rivets are too big that come with the bauer holder, they needed to order a really small sized rivet?

Hopefully jimmy can shed some light on that.

Edited by DigiV

And if they are having problems with too long of steel rivets, have them go all copper...

Zach

Do not do this, unless you don't mind your holder moving around and bending your steel. Any hockey shop with standard skate rivets can do the swap correctly.

I will defer to you, as you are an expert at this.

However, I would like to know the logic behind your statement. Seems to me, that either rivet should hold the holder to the boot just fine, and that the size of the hole in the boot and holder would make the biggest difference in weather a holder moves in relation to the boot. Please let me know where I am wrong.

Zach

I will defer to you, as you are an expert at this.

However, I would like to know the logic behind your statement. Seems to me, that either rivet should hold the holder to the boot just fine, and that the size of the hole in the boot and holder would make the biggest difference in weather a holder moves in relation to the boot. Please let me know where I am wrong.

Zach

Copper rivets provide strength, but because they don't grab into the sole, if you don't have steel ones also for stability, the holder will move around. The crimp on the steel rivets digs in to the sole and do not allow holder to move. The slight back and forth motion from stress of skating will enlarge the holes if only coppers are used. Then, the holder can twist and when it does, the stell will take on a bend. As I said beofre, any competent shop can do a swap using industry standard rivets.

The steel is supposed to take more to get its first edge (I think Chadd posted this), but once it's there, it's supposed to hold that edge really well. Maybe it needs a more thorough sharpening?

I do remember Chadd saying that before, but I don't think that is the issue as I did rocker them along with multiple sharpens. It shouldn't take this much to get to the sweet spot.

i would highly advise against all copper... i've seen some bad things on skates done this way. usually the inconsistent pressure/impact applied to mushroom the rivet, which causes the holder to pull the steel, which would be described as bent steel (when really the holder is just pulling it out of alignment).

also whoever said about the wrong size holes is absolutely correct. i've had to replace copper rivets on the fly in old skates that had huge diameter copper rivets, and they'd always come out in a little while no matter how well they were put in.

If i were going to keep my makos i'd want to put +1 size ls2's on em, but sadly i think i'm going to get rid of em in their stock form.

I do remember Chadd saying that before, but I don't think that is the issue as I did rocker them along with multiple sharpens. It shouldn't take this much to get to the sweet spot.

Yeah, it sounds like you've given it a fair shot. I'm curious though, when you're rolling edges, do you mean you're hitting the holder and losing your edge when turning, or does it feel like the edge just doesn't hold for the same hollow and radius?

any competent shop can do a swap using industry standard rivets.

And what size would that be? they said they had rivets that worked fine but they only had 2 or 3 and ran out (low inventory) so they ordered more. The other ones they used proved to be too long and when it "mushroomed" it was sticking up a bit.

Edited by DigiV

Yeah, it sounds like you've given it a fair shot. I'm curious though, when you're rolling edges, do you mean you're hitting the holder and losing your edge when turning, or does it feel like the edge just doesn't hold for the same hollow and radius?

What I mean of rolling edges is the edge actually is gone, yes there are blow out on turns and stops and every time I look at the metal there is an edge completely gone in a inch to 3 inch section at some point. I have been sharpening and skated on multiple different set ups and have not had this issue with any other set up. I can usually make a sharpen last a month or even two, but this is almost every other skate, Just sharpened them earlier this week and skated tonight and felt solid, so I will give them another try and see how it goes next skate.

That is really strange, I've been really impressed by the steel on mine. If you use 280s I can send you some of mine to see if you just got a bad pair.

What I mean of rolling edges is the edge actually is gone, yes there are blow out on turns and stops and every time I look at the metal there is an edge completely gone in a inch to 3 inch section at some point. I have been sharpening and skated on multiple different set ups and have not had this issue with any other set up. I can usually make a sharpen last a month or even two, but this is almost every other skate, Just sharpened them earlier this week and skated tonight and felt solid, so I will give them another try and see how it goes next skate.

I see what you mean. That's frustrating. Hopefully it gets better from here. If I were in that situation, I'd be thinking the same thing, about making a swap.

I got my Mako's on June 15th. After three uses, the lining on the inside of the right skate had a hole worn through it near the footbed below the inside ankle. I've been wearing Easton's for a long time, and got the same size I had been wearing. They felt fine to me and required no baking.

I've never seen this before. My foot is fine; no bumps, or welts that would cause excessive rubbing in that spot. And I never noticed my foot sliding around when I skated. Strange.

The hockey shop said it wasn't a warranty issue, so I contacted Easton and they're sending me a new pair. Hopefully it's just a random defect.

Most likely random.

If you're not baking the skates, you're losing out on the entire point of the skates.

• Like 1

I had something similar happen to mine Seaner; my liner pulled up at from the bottom sole and tear a bit, I just did the hill billy thing and added a piece of tape where it pulled off and tore and it hasn't further more tore or pulled away any more. I can post a picture later when I get home from work to show you

I got my Mako's on June 15th. After three uses, the lining on the inside of the right skate had a hole worn through it near the footbed below the inside ankle. I've been wearing Easton's for a long time, and got the same size I had been wearing. They felt fine to me and required no baking.

I've never seen this before. My foot is fine; no bumps, or welts that would cause excessive rubbing in that spot. And I never noticed my foot sliding around when I skated. Strange.

The hockey shop said it wasn't a warranty issue, so I contacted Easton and they're sending me a new pair. Hopefully it's just a random defect.

Most likely random.

If you're not baking the skates, you're losing out on the entire point of the skates.

Baking these is the key to maximizing the fit to your unique foot. Bake them.

Edited by flyers10

Just got mine today and am glad I went with them. Holy cow, they are the most comfortable skate I have EVER put on my feet. The comparison to running shoes couldn't be more correct. When I took them out of the oven and put them on for the first time, it felt like I was putting my feet inside my Asics. Can't wait to skate on them this weekend!

Could it be a bent blade, I think this leads to pretty erratic and inconsistent sharpening. If it were a slight bend it might not be visible. I have one on my Fusions, planning on replacing it with Step. Just haven't gotten around to it. I found out about 45 mins. before a playoff game last season. Sharpener spent about 15 mins. on that one skate to get consistency the length of the blade.

Hey all, I am trying to buy a pair of these, but with no hockey proshop within about 4 hours that carries skates during the summer, I am going to order online. I wear a 11.5 skate (size 13 shoe) but with all the talk of how narrow the boot is, should I go with the standard D or look to a wide EE. I know the baking fixes some of the pressure but I don't want it to be too tight. Is there a way to measure your foot to be sure?

Edited by CbJR513

Hey all, I am trying to buy a pair of these, but with no hockey proshop within about 4 hours that carries skates during the summer, I am going to order online. I wear a 11.5 skate (size 13 shoe) but with all the talk of how narrow the boot is, should I go with the standard D or look to a wide EE. I know the baking fixes some of the pressure but I don't want it to be too tight. Is there a way to measure your foot to be sure?

What skate are you in right now?