Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about change my old Vapor X40 and I tried already these Mako skates and in the shop it feels really good... We only have the double E in Switzerland and not the D. There's a lot of difference ? people who tried both, wiches one you took ?

I wear an 8.5D, but tried on an 8EE that felt almost identical. Personally I like my skates as small and tight as comfortably possible. Perhaps try the EE's one half size smaller.

• Like 1

I wear an 8.5D, but tried on an 8EE that felt almost identical. Personally I like my skates as small and tight as comfortably possible. Perhaps try the EE's one half size smaller.

Agreed I always get a half size smaller, I have 8D because once they break in they are perfect. All toes scrape the toe cap after break-in

Finally got back to Vancouver and held my new babies fresh from the box. God they're light. Didn't fit me at all at first, but after the bake I slotted right in. Will be changing them out to the Tuuk Lightspeed holders though - I can get them free and I really can't stand the CXN, as much as they are a part of the boot.

This isn't my first skate in Makos. I've been in a friend's pair.

You haven't tried the CXN holders and you can't stand them?

This isn't my first skate in Makos. I've been in a friend's pair.

How many times did you skate in your friends pair? Once? Anytime one changes a model skate, the body mechanics will need time to adapt. Nothing will feel great after only one skate, in many cases even if you get the same model you were skating in before. I recommend a minimum 6 outings before making any unnecessary changes.

Fair advice. Considering the swap wouldn't cost me anything, I'll keep on these holders for at least two weeks (about 10 hours of ice time) and report back.

Well... I went to the shop saturday with the decision to try all differentes skates to have an idea how I fit in each skates.

I tried, CCM Rbz, APX2, NXG, Nexus 1000, Easton RS and finaly the famous Mako skates.

I put my feet inside and it was like if they was my old skates ! the first impression is "Ouaw ! do I really have to bake them?!?!"

After many minutes and lot of tests, I decided to bake them and after it was awesome... like if I was in my winter boots so perfect !

I went out of the shop with my mako waiting 24 hours to try them on the ice !

Sunday I put my skates and here we go on the ice...

First impression : the fit is perfect and I'm little bit more in front than with my older Vapor X40.

After 15 min I tried all that things like tight turns (ouaw amazing!), acceleration, backwards and stops.

I feel like my skating was better after 30 min and it was so perfect...

After 1h30 on the ice, no injuries or disillusionment just a word : AWESOME !

Anyone been in games with these? Looking at mine and there is not much padding or protectuon, curious as to how shots or passes feel off the boot

Got this in mine. I was crossing over backwards into the line of the shot to block it though so my foot was completely opened up to the shot. I was suspecting that they weren't as protective as my Crazy Lights from the bumps and bruises I got before this. This convinced me though. I ordered skate fenders (Compact Pro) the next day. I still love the skates more than any pair I have ever owned!

wg2p.jpg

Edited by AfftonDad

That looks pretty bad. If I was going to grab a pair of Mako's I would for sure get some skate fenders. I'm in one100's right now and last game a took a slap shot to the outside of my foot, it dented the boot and my ankle was even bleeding a little bit.

Edited by XveritasX

Jesus. Who were you playing against? Zdeno Chara?

The guy that came from is the 3rd hardest shot I play against. He and the other two guy's shots are NOTICEABLY harder than everyone else's that I play with. I've had them shoot against my radar and what is amazing is that he and his brother's shots top out around 80mph (the hardest of the three's shots is around 88mph). Just think what it takes to stand in front of Chara's at over 30mph harder. I can't imagine something hurting 30mph MORE than that did!

• Like 1

6r9z.jpg

Ok finally got it done. Had two solid skates in them and i'm already used to the set up. Maybe it's because i've always skated in tuuks? Don't know but it's already feeling good to me. I switched the holder/blades out for a number of reasons. Mainly, i'm just not able to adjust to the insanely aggressive pitch of the Makos. I thought i would be able to but i couldn't. My knees were hurting, i felt always leaned forward and got tired quicker than i normally do.

Second, when i tried to get the steel profiled to give me more of a neutral pitch the blades were killed. Most people around here can't profile skates well and with the already aggressive pitch of the blade the person i went to butchered the toe. I did find a cag one profiler but by that time i already had ordered the tuuk/ls3.

Like previously said the holes matched up exact to the tuuk+bauer combo but the only thing different was the rivets. The rivets here have to be short, 6/16th is the size that you'll have to use because of the bottom of the Mako boot being all composite. I also found myself tightening my skates tighter after putting this combo on. Is it possibly because the holders are stiffer than the CXN's? Not sure.

I applaud easton for going with the set up they did and for kids starting out a mako boot would definitely improve their skating ability with the aggressive stance. For me, at this point, it was too much.

Note: i kept the stock 10' radius and went with a 5/8th hollow. I thought about doing the cag one profile to a 25/50 or 30/50 but so far i like this and i'm going to stick with it. I will try a FBV next time though. I also could've went with an LS2 instead of the LS3 and probably have liked it better initially. The LS3's make this skate a bit bottom heavy which i don't like very much but at the same time not a big deal in the long-term.

Edited by DigiV

You've always skated in those new Edge Tuuks? Those are so different than LS2 or Tuuk+, it aint even close. if you would have had the correct profile on the ES4 steel w/CXN you prob would have liked that as many have.

How many times did you skate in your friends pair? Once? Anytime one changes a model skate, the body mechanics will need time to adapt. Nothing will feel great after only one skate, in many cases even if you get the same model you were skating in before. I recommend a minimum 6 outings before making any unnecessary changes.

Jimmy, I've been on my Makos since Apr, 4-6 x/week. I really think I need to back off the aggro pitch. I've given them time and there may be some advantages, but I'm not sure. Since you guys have replacement steel in, I was thinking about getting some new profiled steel from you. Then I could swap my old steel and new steel to compare. How would you compare the stock Mako pitch to the Aggressive, Medium and Minor forward pitch you have? I am guessing the Makos would be "Aggressive"? I want to go to less forward pitch, but not necessarily to neutral. At least I don't think.

You've always skated in those new Edge Tuuks? Those are so different than LS2 or Tuuk+, it aint even close. if you would have had the correct profile on the ES4 steel w/CXN you prob would have liked that as many have.

Like i said i don't know. Are the edge tuuks that different? i thought it was just taller? Anyhow, i'm digging it and that's all that matters.

Maybe you're right but the fact that the ES4 blade already has a somewhat shaved toe compared to the LS2/LS3, that was not working for me and once profiled the front got trimmed off even more. I kept falling over the front of my skates.

Edited by DigiV

Jimmy, I've been on my Makos since Apr, 4-6 x/week. I really think I need to back off the aggro pitch. I've given them time and there may be some advantages, but I'm not sure. Since you guys have replacement steel in, I was thinking about getting some new profiled steel from you. Then I could swap my old steel and new steel to compare. How would you compare the stock Mako pitch to the Aggressive, Medium and Minor forward pitch you have? I am guessing the Makos would be "Aggressive"? I want to go to less forward pitch, but not necessarily to neutral. At least I don't think.

Me too. I think I would like to back it off just a little to give one of my knees a little relief.

Like i said i don't know. Are the edge tuuks that different? i thought it was just taller? Anyhow, i'm digging it and that's all that matters.

What's important is going with a setup that works best for you. As for the steel, I preferred the LS3 steel over both the LS2 and Fusion. As for the Edge holder, I think it's a big improvement with the being able to swap out runners without a socket wrench.

I know the sizing of this boot is very different from others, and that baking can alter the fit quite drastically. That being said, can anyone comment on boot length in comparison to Reebok. I'm currently in a pair of Reebok 11K in 8.5 D. What would be a good starting point in the Mako? 8.5, or even 8? I feel like I'd rather err on the side of too small vs too large. I tried a pair of MLX in the past, size 9, and they were too big.

I know there is no substitute for actually trying on, but I have absolutely no pro shops anywhere nearby. I'd like to order online and hope to get it right on the first try.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light.

Me too. I think I would like to back it off just a little to give one of my knees a little relief.

I mentioned to the designer that they should have left the runner neutral as not everyone can skate great with forward pitch. Perhaps next year they'll make the change. In the meantime, profiling and balancing the runner out by removing stock from the rear of the blade, does the trick.