Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

yesido, your question makes perfect sense. Do not get more pitch on the Mako's. Your CLs likely had just 1 degree of pitch. Skate on the Mako's a few times, let your boby mechanics adjust, then if their pitch is too much, you can have some removed.

I'm having a hard time deciding on the Makos (and what width). I currently have an RBK 9K (8.0 E) that's on its last legs, and I tried a Mako on today, but out of the box it dug into the very top, inside bone (highpoint) of my foot. The rest of it felt really good. Nice, hugging fit, but since the Makos claim to mold much better than the RBKs I'm torn between the D or EE, and concerned about that top digging in.

Anyone else trying on the Mako's feel that "dig" at the top?

I have completely flat feet, hence the typical "wide" route I go with skates.

yesido, your question makes perfect sense. Do not get more pitch on the Mako's. Your CLs likely had just 1 degree of pitch. Skate on the Mako's a few times, let your boby mechanics adjust, then if their pitch is too much, you can have some removed.

i had my CL's profiled 30/50 on a cag machine and i can say the difference was almost none to me. In the Mako's the stock profile i felt was right at home. Would you have a recommendation if i want to swap to the new LS holders? The idea of having extra steel on hang is the reason i'd want them.

i had my CL's profiled 30/50 on a cag machine and i can say the difference was almost none to me. In the Mako's the stock profile i felt was right at home. Would you have a recommendation if i want to swap to the new LS holders? The idea of having extra steel on hang is the reason i'd want them.

A 30/50 is comparable to about 1/32" of pitch. If changing steel is your reason to want the LS Edge holders, you do know it only takes 2 mins to change the mako steel out, the screws are external not a pain the the a$$ like LS2 or Tuuk holders. Really won't take much longer that the edge's. Get a set of ES4 steel to have in your bag and that way you can have the extra set without having to buy and have new installed.

I'm having a hard time deciding on the Makos (and what width). I currently have an RBK 9K (8.0 E) that's on its last legs, and I tried a Mako on today, but out of the box it dug into the very top, inside bone (highpoint) of my foot. The rest of it felt really good. Nice, hugging fit, but since the Makos claim to mold much better than the RBKs I'm torn between the D or EE, and concerned about that top digging in.

Anyone else trying on the Mako's feel that "dig" at the top?

I have completely flat feet, hence the typical "wide" route I go with skates.

I have wider feet and I wear a 9.5 D Mako boot and the fit nice and snug. I still use my old pair of Bauer Supremes (same size) for officiating and the toe box is too tight to the point that I'll have to get a new pair at size 9.5 EE. I haven't had any problems with my Makos so I'm glad I stuck with D. Baking the boots was the key for me.

I have wider feet and I wear a 9.5 D Mako boot and the fit nice and snug. I still use my old pair of Bauer Supremes (same size) for officiating and the toe box is too tight to the point that I'll have to get a new pair at size 9.5 EE. I haven't had any problems with my Makos so I'm glad I stuck with D. Baking the boots was the key for me.

Thanks, BSB. I ultimately went back to the RBKs.. Bought a 12K instead of going with the Makos. I think for me, my feet, and sans-marketing & hype, staying with the similar model RBK made the most sense.. The 2 biggest reasons I wanted to try the Mako was the "fits like a shoe/almost no break-in" marketing, but I picked up a 12K for $200, and even though I'll likely have to bake them 2-3 times and be irritated with the stiffness until they loosen up, at least I know the pitch & eventual feel will not require a transition.

I know me, and I'd probably have skated warmups in the Makos and went right back to my old ones, tossing them in my garage with my other "doesn't feel right" stuff and wasting another chunk of cash. *grin*

My tongues are wearing faster than the rest of the skate. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not a tongue replacement would be possible in light of the unique way the tongue goes all the way down? I also wonder if something like a Sniper tongue would blow the form fitting wrap of the Mako?

Out of curiosity are you skating tongues out or in? I skate with my shins over the tongues and with 5 months of skating 4 times a week my tongues are not showing any wear issues.

Tongues in, under the shin guards. I play three times a week. I've had mine for around 5 months.

The spot that they are wearing at is right where the tongue comes in contact with the top front corners of the boot. I think because of the extra forward/backward flex in the skates they end up rubbing at that spot a lot. It is rubbing through the felt. I guess I should be happy that I am getting that extra forward lean.

Edited by AfftonDad

I was getting wear in that area with my TotalOnes, which also had good flexion/extension capabilities. I'll have to keep an eye on my Makos, but at the 5-month marker these skates are not showing any excessive wear issues or concerns so far.

Picked these up about a month ago and LOVE them. Was having issues with my Vapor X7.0s. These are insanely comfortble and easy to skate it. It did take some initial adjustment, but after they broke it I'm not looking back.

Wonder if I could seek some advice. There's no possibility to try them on here, so I've resorted to asking questions and doing research.

The sizing for the skate is problematic; in my Supremes, with no socks on, my toes pull away from the toe cap once i have a deep knee bend (only achieveable lacing one eyelet down, otherwise I cannot skate). However, in my hockey socks, which are actually thicker hiking socks, they still jam on the toe cap with a deep knee bend. I'm thinking of going up half a size from my Supremes since most say both skates are sized the same, and there's no way I'll ditch my thicker socks; for some reason, the bones of my feet, especially the ball of my foot, hurts when I skate, and the socks help alleviate that.

The current skates I have is a 3.5D One95. I like the skate, which fit me better than the Vapor X6.0 that I had, but the pitch was never enough, even after lifting 6mm from the inside (under the heel). Thought of liftin it 3mm more on the outside, but have no expertise in doing so. In the Vapors, I had Bob give my runners a +1, and lifted under my heel about 3mm as well to get a comfortable stance.

Since I won't ditch my socks, I was thinking maybe I could fit the half-size-up 4D in Makos. This could save me money if I bought the skates because the only other option to get a skate that's very similar to this is through Scott Van Horne, which is a 900 dollar investment (if I got the 3.5D VH skates) versus a 500 dollar one (the 4D being the smallest Mako skate and a junior priced one).

Anyone with any thoughts at all for or against getting a Mako in 4D?

P.S. for those that will tell me to profile my runners, well, that would mean buying a hole saw to drill out a hole to access the nut (my One95s came without a hole to do so), and also, I want to try new skates. I am hoping to get a skate that is all 'set' for me without giving it a fresh pitch or doing lifts.

Edited by salibandy

I just noticed that my tendon guard is broken. It looks like it ripped from somebody holding it and maybe swinging it around, but that isn't what happened. So, I was wondering, has anyone else had problems with the tendon guard besides the one gentleman a while back that was not happy with Easton's customer service? Also, do they have replacement tendon guards? If they do have replacements, where can I get one?

I had issues with my Makos where the sizing seemed right, but the seam of where the tongue ends would dig into the tips of my toes and was quite painful. I ended up skating with my toes clenched, which made the rest of my foot hurt.

Easy fix.. stuck a piece of gaffers tape in the toe cap, covering that seam. Now, no issues. :)

I just noticed that my tendon guard is broken. It looks like it ripped from somebody holding it and maybe swinging it around, but that isn't what happened. So, I was wondering, has anyone else had problems with the tendon guard besides the one gentleman a while back that was not happy with Easton's customer service? Also, do they have replacement tendon guards? If they do have replacements, where can I get one?

So, how did it happen?

Wonder if I could seek some advice. There's no possibility to try them on here, so I've resorted to asking questions and doing research.

The sizing for the skate is problematic; in my Supremes, with no socks on, my toes pull away from the toe cap once i have a deep knee bend (only achieveable lacing one eyelet down, otherwise I cannot skate). However, in my hockey socks, which are actually thicker hiking socks, they still jam on the toe cap with a deep knee bend. I'm thinking of going up half a size from my Supremes since most say both skates are sized the same, and there's no way I'll ditch my thicker socks; for some reason, the bones of my feet, especially the ball of my foot, hurts when I skate, and the socks help alleviate that.

The current skates I have is a 3.5D One95. I like the skate, which fit me better than the Vapor X6.0 that I had, but the pitch was never enough, even after lifting 6mm from the inside (under the heel). Thought of liftin it 3mm more on the outside, but have no expertise in doing so. In the Vapors, I had Bob give my runners a +1, and lifted under my heel about 3mm as well to get a comfortable stance.

Since I won't ditch my socks, I was thinking maybe I could fit the half-size-up 4D in Makos. This could save me money if I bought the skates because the only other option to get a skate that's very similar to this is through Scott Van Horne, which is a 900 dollar investment (if I got the 3.5D VH skates) versus a 500 dollar one (the 4D being the smallest Mako skate and a junior priced one).

P.S. for those that will tell me to profile my runners, well, that would mean buying a hole saw to drill out a hole to access the nut (my One95s came without a hole to do so), and also, I want to try new skates. I am hoping to get a skate that is all 'set' for me without giving it a fresh pitch or doing lifts.

The thing about the Makos are that they've got some serious built in arch support in them. I've tried on both the 4.5D (my NXG skate size) and 4.0D (My current Mako Skate Size). The Arch support on the 4.5D was too far forward for me and actually caused pain as the arch wasn't lined up correctly. This sort of harkens back to how your Superfeet size is not necessarily your skate size. I would say, get used to new skate socks, and buy the Mako that fits like a glove, because that's what they were designed for. Creating a gap in between the skate and your foot just seems counterproductive to what these skates were designed for in the first place.

I don't think this will work for you. The Makos that I have had fit 1/2 to 1 size down than other skates. For example, guy fits size 9 Easton skates (S10, S17, RS), Mako size 9 are nearly 1 size to large for him. Another guy fits Bauer TotalOne, NXG size 9 1/2 really tight, size 10 just a fraction to big, size 9 Makos fit him perfectly.

So if you are in a size 3 1/2 Bauer one95 then I'd say you need to be around a size 3 in a Mako. If they don't make this size then you are out of luck, thick socks don't make up for a centimeter or so of extra length.

I don't think this will work for you. The Makos that I have had fit 1/2 to 1 size down than other skates. For example, guy fits size 9 Easton skates (S10, S17, RS), Mako size 9 are nearly 1 size to large for him. Another guy fits Bauer TotalOne, NXG size 9 1/2 really tight, size 10 just a fraction to big, size 9 Makos fit him perfectly.

So if you are in a size 3 1/2 Bauer one95 then I'd say you need to be around a size 3 in a Mako. If they don't make this size then you are out of luck, thick socks don't make up for a centimeter or so of extra length.

For what it's worth. I was in a 9D S17, RS and Now 9D in Mako.

I know it's mid-season, but I haven't noticed many pros in this skate. Majority still seem to be APX.

To dig up an older question in this topic, why aren't more pros using them, I'm seeing a lot more of these on NHL / KHL players; nothing that rivals Bauer or even CCM-Reebok numbers, but I'd guess more are wearing them than used to wear Easton skates.