Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Funny thing happened in my game a couple weeks ago. One of the senior refs in the area and the guy that assigns games pulled me aside after the game and asked what skates I was wearing and how long I had them. He has known me for 15 years, working with me or working the games that I play and he said that he never recalled seeing me so comfortable and in control of my edges. When other people notice changes without you telling them that something is different, that's when you really know there is a difference and it isn't just mental.

• Like 1

I've seen the same reality between games I've played and officiated. You'd be fortunate to see one pair of Makos between both squads in any given game. I know in my Men's A league, I'm the only dude who has a pair.

Same here, but others have certainly noticed them!

It's because people don't want to change from what they know and I understand that. That's usually the one factor that keeps new products from catching on. That, and Easton doesn't exactly has a great reputation for skates.

Same here, but others have certainly noticed them!

Same here also. I had teammates telling me my skating is much better. I told them having skates that don't hurt really helps.

It's because people don't want to change from what they know and I understand that. That's usually the one factor that keeps new products from catching on. That, and Easton doesn't exactly has a great reputation for skates.

There have been many products that were superior to others but lacking brand name, never made it or became popular. Unfortunately in the hockey market today, popularity and wearing popular brand equipment is much more important thant fit, form and function.

The Mako's may have the Easton name on them, but they are far from a Easton product, essentially a rebranded MLX designed by the same MLX team. Funny, when MLX's were out people were drooling over them, but put a Easton name on a MLX and somehow they no longer have appeal. Yes, Easton's poor history with the S series skates are partially to blame..

The reverse of this is the Itech Concept II Visor. Was a very poor seller as a Iteck, but slap a Bauer name on it and they now fly off the shelf. Personally, I think the big mistake for the Mako is the overdoing of the orange color. Too many sales are lost for this reason alone.

• Like 1

There have been many products that were superior to others but lacking brand name, never made it or became popular. Unfortunately in the hockey market today, popularity and wearing popular brand equipment is much more important thant fit, form and function.

The Mako's may have the Easton name on them, but they are far from a Easton product, essentially a rebranded MLX designed by the same MLX team. Funny, when MLX's were out people were drooling over them, but put a Easton name on a MLX and somehow they no longer have appeal. Yes, Easton's poor history with the S series skates are partially to blame..

The reverse of this is the Itech Concept II Visor. Was a very poor seller as a Iteck, but slap a Bauer name on it and they now fly off the shelf. Personally, I think the big mistake for the Mako is the overdoing of the orange color. Too many sales are lost for this reason alone.

The entire reason I got the Mako's was because I was in MLX to begin with. You also now have the VH skate developed by Scott.

They overdid the orange, but I don't mind it. Gives it a certain pop.

• Like 1

The entire reason I got the Mako's was because I was in MLX to begin with. You also now have the VH skate developed by Scott.

Maybe that's the beauty of the VH skate. I got plain black because I like to fly under the radar, but you can get any color trim you want. And my custom pair cost me less than a stock Mako pair would have.

I think the orange is fine, and actually looks pretty good. I'm just not terribly fond of the silver wrap on the heel.

• Like 1

I think the orange is fine, and actually looks pretty good. I'm just not terribly fond of the silver wrap on the heel.

Yes, it looks like a high heel on TV.

You are exactly right. It was my first pair of Eastons. I wasn't a fan prior to the Makos. They have changed my mind for @ least the near future.

At and @ both require the same amount of keystrokes, and one is a word.

• Like 2

Maybe that's the beauty of the VH skate. I got plain black because I like to fly under the radar, but you can get any color trim you want. And my custom pair cost me less than a stock Mako pair would have.

What I don't like about the VH is the fixed tendon guard. While the Mako isn't the first skate to have a flexible tendon guard, they did take the flexibility to a new level.

What I don't like about the VH is the fixed tendon guard. While the Mako isn't the first skate to have a flexible tendon guard, they did take the flexibility to a new level.

As far as I can tell, flexible tendon guards are over-rated, anyway. It seems like skate makers gave people something they wanted but don't really need. Personally, I feel absolutely no hindrance from a properly angled rigid tendon guard. Apparently, extending the ankle too far on the toe-push will actually slow you down... unless you're using clap skates.

http://www.vhspeedskating.com/assets/Ankle_extension.pdf

As far as I can tell, flexible tendon guards are over-rated, anyway. It seems like skate makers gave people something they wanted but don't really need. Personally, I feel absolutely no hindrance from a properly angled rigid tendon guard.

We will have to agree to disagree here. Having had TotalOne's and NXG's, I noticed greater stride extension with the improved flexibility of the NXG's tendon guard. Glad that what you have works for you.

• Like 1

I realize they had to make them orange to make them stand out at the rink and on TV so the little minds full of mush can distinguish them from all the other cookie cutter skates, but honestly it is hurting sales as a certain percentage of people will not be seen in orange even if the skate was the most comfortable thing ever (which it is BTW). They should have offered replacement tendon guards in all black.

We will have to agree to disagree here. Having had TotalOne's and NXG's, I noticed greater stride extension with the improved flexibility of the NXG's tendon guard. Glad that what you have works for you.

I guess the second half of my post including the link wasn't worth quoting or commenting on. You know... the part explaining why the additional ankle extension is actually slowing you down.

Edited by Larry54

A Mako SE would be a good idea. Now that the general hockey community knows what they bring to the table maybe a blacked out special edition would help sales and get more people into the skate.

I'm getting "mako bumps" again. They went away for a while and now my last game they were rubbing pretty badly again. I think I'm just going to make the neoprene sleeve (actually a set of ezeefit booties with the bottoms cut out) a regular part of my equipment. Takes 2 seconds to put on, and saves me a lot of pain.

I'd also love to see a Mako SE. I kind of wish I'd known VH was going to be doing their thing when I got my Makos, but I'm still pretty damn happy except for the rubbing.