Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I'm getting "mako bumps" again. They went away for a while and now my last game they were rubbing pretty badly again. I think I'm just going to make the neoprene sleeve (actually a set of ezeefit booties with the bottoms cut out) a regular part of my equipment. Takes 2 seconds to put on, and saves me a lot of pain.

I'd also love to see a Mako SE. I kind of wish I'd known VH was going to be doing their thing when I got my Makos, but I'm still pretty damn happy except for the rubbing.

Sounds like you are in the wrong size.

I realize they had to make them orange to make them stand out at the rink and on TV so the little minds full of mush can distinguish them from all the other cookie cutter skates, but honestly it is hurting sales as a certain percentage of people will not be seen in orange even if the skate was the most comfortable thing ever (which it is BTW). They should have offered replacement tendon guards in all black.

As Chadd mentioned, I think the heel is visually more offensive than the orange trim. If the heel was black, the orange wouldn't seem as jarring as it does.

As Chadd mentioned, I think the heel is visually more offensive than the orange trim. If the heel was black, the orange wouldn't seem as jarring as it does.

Somebody earlier in this thread used plastidip on the heels with what appeared to be fairly decent success. There's always spray paint too I guess. But yea, an all-black skate would be nice. Or even white instead of orange.

I guess the second half of my post including the link wasn't worth quoting or commenting on. You know... the part explaining why the additional ankle extension is actually slowing you down.

It would be easier to comment on if the source was cited. I realize the article was from the VH website, but it doesn't state what research is being used as a basis for the statement.

As far as I can tell, flexible tendon guards are over-rated, anyway. It seems like skate makers gave people something they wanted but don't really need. Personally, I feel absolutely no hindrance from a properly angled rigid tendon guard. Apparently, extending the ankle too far on the toe-push will actually slow you down... unless you're using clap skates.

http://www.vhspeedskating.com/assets/Ankle_extension.pdf

Interesting link but I wonder what kind of radius and pitch they took in order to make the measurements, plus the tendon guard doesn't come into place only when going forward, sometimes when you're turning, you need that extra flexibility to increase the distance between front and back legs in order to have a better balance. range of motion is a very important aspect in skating, as you're not always going in circle.

Personally I hate having something pushing on my calf when skating.

A lot of guys break down their tendon guards because they are back on their heels, even guys that insist that they are on their toes.

I had the "mako bumps" very bad to the point i had a deep cut in the spot. I heated the spot and folded them over and waited until my cut had healed. This still didn't help and I put elite hockey gel pads on the spot.. it helped but was rather annoying putting theskate on and off I added ccm footbeds and s took the gel pads off, helped immensely the overall fit of th skate and even the abrasion but its still rubbing... Anyone have any idea?

Edited by Rankin2

I feel like a smaller skate would not change the fact that the top of the boot was touching my ankle. Possibly wven make it worse

Oh, you implied a bump similar to the famous Bauer Bump which is not at top of the boot. Can you post a pic of your problem area?

Oh, you implied a bump similar to the famous Bauer Bump which is not at top of the boot. Can you post a pic of your problem area?

He's talking about the same bump as I was. It's been discussed numerous times in this thread, with some people finding relief one way or another.

Here is a photo of my ankle. Keep in mind this is over a month after I had my issue initially, before I started wearing a neoprene sleeve over the area. It got better for a while (no pain when skating) but lately it seems to have returned.

1dAvILXl.png

EDIT: Here's another post with the same issue: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/61887-easton-mako-skates/?p=970047

It's been discussed a bunch with the most common suggestion being to heat up the top and roll it out, or have them rebaked without tying the top eyelet tight (or at all) but I haven't had any luck with those ideas yet.

They've informally been dubbed "mako bumps" because of how common the issue seems to be.

Edited by OptimusReim

This will continue happening to many people because the distance between the screws on the tendon guard aren't far apart to accomodate the width ankle. You will notice this when you heat mold the ankle of the skates with the tendon guard removed. The skates will actually mold to the proper width of your ankles, but you won't be able to screw the tendon guard back on because the tendon guard connection isn't far enough apart.

Edited by iniesta

I've tried the heat and fold , and when i rebaked i didnt tie the top eyelet as I skate one eyelet out anyway. I figure i have thick ankles. I may try a sleeve as mentioned. Sorry to cause confusion jimmy!

Edited by Rankin2

This will continue happening to many people because the distance between the screws on the tendon guard aren't far apart to accomodate the width ankle. You will notice this when you heat mold the ankle of the skates with the tendon guard removed. The skates will actually mold to the proper width of your ankles, but you won't be able to screw the tendon guard back on because the tendon guard connection isn't far enough apart.

So you think it's inward pressure from the removable tendon guard not being wide enough?

So, if these tendon guard squeezing the ankle idea's are correct, drilling my own holes at wider points on the guard should in theory relieve the pressure . May try and i will get back to you

I've tried the heat and fold , and when i rebaked i didnt tie the top eyelet as I skate one eyelet out anyway. I figure i have thick ankles. I may try a sleeve as mentioned. Sorry to cause confusion jimmy!

I have pretty thick ankles as well and never had the slightest issue there.

My older son(13) has been in Makos for about 6 weeks now and I am having some concerns. At the start it looked like the greatest invention since sliced bread but now I think there needs to be less pitch in the holder. I have noticed that when ever he pivots quickly it looks like he has to catch himself from falling and when he has to transition from backwards to forward the same thing. Also, it seems like he has to work hard to get some speed up the ice. Playing defence, he never loses races to a loose puck but is now. He also doesn't seem to have enough stability when taking or giving hits. He likes the boot but I have heard that some guys are scrapping the holder for a Lightspeed 2 for most of the reasons above. Thoughts anyone? Should I really have to spend more money to make $800 skates work properly.

If the skate fits exactly like it should, then yes, I would swap the holders out. Another solution would be to profile the current steel to a neutral or negative pitch. The stock Easton steel on the Mako's is rockered to be aggressive.

My older son(13) has been in Makos for about 6 weeks now and I am having some concerns. At the start it looked like the greatest invention since sliced bread but now I think there needs to be less pitch in the holder. I have noticed that when ever he pivots quickly it looks like he has to catch himself from falling and when he has to transition from backwards to forward the same thing. Also, it seems like he has to work hard to get some speed up the ice. Playing defence, he never loses races to a loose puck but is now. He also doesn't seem to have enough stability when taking or giving hits. He likes the boot but I have heard that some guys are scrapping the holder for a Lightspeed 2 for most of the reasons above. Thoughts anyone? Should I really have to spend more money to make $800 skates work properly.

People spend more money to get their $900 Bauers to work properly as well. Nothing new, especially for balance issues which are pretty common. They chose the aggressive pitch for the Mako because they believe it works well for a majority of the skaters. For those who it doesn't, a simple profile can correct that.

No prob. I don't think this is common but some skaters may get it, especially if they were coming from taller skates. We went through this same conversation years ago with the Kor's and likely will with VH as well. This happens when going to shorter skates. The skin is just not tough in the lower area yet. The key is to limit further rubbing until the bruise heals (silicon or neoprene works well for that). I don't think the tendon guard has anything to do with it, and rolling the top is not a better choice than neoprene.

If the skate fits exactly like it should, then yes, I would swap the holders out. Another solution would be to profile the current steel to a neutral or negative pitch. The stock Easton steel on the Mako's is rockered to be aggressive.

A profile would be a lot cheaper and faster than new holders.

No prob. I don't think this is common but some skaters may get it, especially if they were coming from taller skates. We went through this same conversation years ago with the Kor's and likely will with VH as well. This happens when going to shorter skates. The skin is just not tough in the lower area yet. The key is to limit further rubbing until the bruise heals (silicon or neoprene works well for that). I don't think the tendon guard has anything to do with it, and rolling the top is not a better choice than neoprene.

I believe my VH skates are slightly lower cut than the Makos and after 5 games there isn't even a hint of that problem. I remember having some irritation there years ago when I wore RBK's that were a bit loose above the ankle. But I was improperly fitted for those.

Could your problem be the Mako tongue? The VH tongue is nicely tapered at the edges so there is no gap around the ankle when the skate is tied, allowing for even pressure all around the ankle. From pictures I've seen, the Mako tongue looks thick and round at the edges. That would leave a gap right beside the tongue creating uneven pressure points around the ankle. Just a thought.

Edited by Larry54