Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I would have loved if they could have kept that orange line though, an all black look with an orange line throughout the skate would def have looked awesome imo

It isn't teens they are trying to draw in with all black skates, it is the traditionalists.

Most of the complaints came from people that were never going to wear them anyway. Now they will have to come up with another reason to bag on them.

Most of the complaints came from people that were never going to wear them anyway. Now they will have to come up with another reason to bag on them.

Yup. Can't wait to see what that reason is this time around. "I still don't like the new holder rah rah rah".

Guessing their preconscious will be something like, 'their (sic) not bauer's'

It isn't teens they are trying to draw in with all black skates, it is the traditionalists.

Definitely. I'm one of them, no question. The Nexus is the best looking skate on the market, imo... if that says anything.

Sure isn't going to stop me from wearing something comfortable though! And now that they're black, so much the better.

Guessing their preconscious will be something like, 'their (sic) not bauer's'

I hate to admit this (insert confession bear meme here) but I've honestly avoided Bauer Vapor everything the entire time I've played hockey (about 3 yrs now) solely because that's what EVERYONE has. Trying Vapor skates was the last thing on my mind (though I did do it, before giving up and forking out the cash on the Makos).

Anything Bauer I've ever had has been Supreme or Nexus. Yep, I guess I'm one of "those guys", but in reverse.

Definitely. I'm one of them, no question. The Nexus is the best looking skate on the market, imo... if that says anything.

Sure isn't going to stop me from wearing something comfortable though! And now that they're black, so much the better.

I hate to admit this (insert confession bear meme here) but I've honestly avoided Bauer Vapor everything the entire time I've played hockey (about 3 yrs now) solely because that's what EVERYONE has. Trying Vapor skates was the last thing on my mind (though I did do it, before giving up and forking out the cash on the Makos).

Anything Bauer I've ever had has been Supreme or Nexus. Yep, I guess I'm one of "those guys", but in reverse.

I really like the new Nexus, love the angled grid that looks kind of 80's original computer graphics / that era Tron. And I love Bauer skates when they're black and blue (Supreme 1000, 3000, 5000 before the brownish heel pieces came in; Vapor 8, one95). I didn't really care for the look of the previous Nexus, but before that I really liked the Flexlite, with its subtleness and emphasis on texture over graphics.

Unfortunately, Bauer 4000s, 5000s, and (OG-)Vapor 8s mutated my heels and never really worked for me for what they were supposedly built for. I've been suspicious of Bauer ever since becoming essentially a Graf variant of what I criticized above. I'm intrigued by Bauer's skates since the one90, but if I'm going to skate in anything non-Graf now, I'm thinking it'll be VH. Before that I was thinking it would be the Mako. I love the speed skate influence that's coming about.

I am a perfect size 8 in Bauer APX, Had MLX and loved them and thinking of going to Mako. What size? I do not have a local retailer that carries Easton at all. Was a 9 in the S17.

I am a perfect size 8 in Bauer APX, Had MLX and loved them and thinking of going to Mako. What size? I do not have a local retailer that carries Easton at all. Was a 9 in the S17.

You are out of luck my friend, the Makos must be tried on, they fit so different than you'd expect. Mine were a 1/2 size off than what i expected based on conventional fitting. You could get them from one of the online stores that offers free return shipping if they don't fit.

I tried these a few days ago and some great positives and some negatives (not by fault of the skate).

The fit was excellent even though I have to redo the left skate near the balls of my feet. They fit like the Kors, but feel a little thinner (I guess less bulky so to say) and lighter. The right foot, which was baked to perfection felt like a shoe and even though the left was not perfect, I had absolutely no pain after the skate. Usually I do a ski-like tape job, which I saw the Rangers do a few years ago, where you wrap the tape from the heel of the skate up towards the upper laces near the tongue and back down to the heel. I like how it gives support, yet doesn't lock your ankle movement. With these, I didn't have to do that and I felt getting the natural feel of the skate was important anyways.

Unfortunately, I can't really give much thought on how I felt skating with them because something was just so off with the blade shallow or profile/ radius. I can't say I know enough about those dynamics to even pinpoint what is so off. I just felt so deep into the ice and so fatigured in a short amount of time. Also, I would be skating hard and just not getting to where I typically should be. I either think they were sharpened much deeper than I asked for. Or else there is a shorter radius, so I was digging in deeper by default. I didn't have the grip I'm used to when accelerating.

I am going to take my old skates to the rink and ask them to measure the skate radius (is that a good option?) and then compare to my new ones. Maybe I will even post a picture of them on a flat surface later so some of you experts may chime in, even though that is not really an easy way to gauge much.

The Makos are setup by default to be more aggressive and will force you to bend your knees more to get that correct stride that gets the most out of the skate. Not for everyone, but it doesn't take too long to adjust to it.

I had the mission pitch holders on positive (+1) Kor skates and loved that...How would that relate to the standard Mako?

I have to think I am experiencing more so a sharpening or radius issue.

I had the mission pitch holders on positive (+1) Kor skates and loved that...How would that relate to the standard Mako?

I have to think I am experiencing more so a sharpening or radius issue.

I believe, on the Makos, the holders give you a +2 and the runner gives you around a +1, so, collectively ballpark +3. Some of the experienced profilers might indicate otherwise though.

I believe, on the Makos, the holders give you a +2 and the runner gives you around a +1, so, collectively ballpark +3. Some of the experienced profilers might indicate otherwise though.

You are correct 3 degrees total.

I've noticed I've found my foot slipping forward ever so slightly in my skates causing a misalignment in the arch support (thus hurting me a tad in my skates). Am I not tying them tight enough? I snug-tie them for the first set of laces and crank the last three.

Also, as with all my other skates I've worn, they feel like they got bigger. I usually wear a size 4.5 skate, went to a 4.0 in my Makos. What I've noticed with the Makos as well as the One.9s I wore before is that for the first few times I wore the skates, my toes brushed the cap and were perfect. Now, they barely even graze it at all. Is this normal?

I'd say yes. These skates expand to accommodate feet. regarding the arch: are you using stock footbeds? If so, perhaps they are not tied tight enough. secondarily I'd put in a more substantial footbed and see if it cures the problem.

I am using stock footbeds. They actually work fine just until my foot shifts forward. This doesn't happen in my left foot and I feel no pain at all in that foot. My right foot's arch only starts feeling pain on the back portion of the arch (lets say right under the shin in terms of its location on my sole) when my foot slips forward.

Edited by syinx

Ive found that now that mine have broken in I'm having greater difficulty getting my lacing right (and boy can I feel it when I get it wrong!). Same spot as other skates I've worn - on the outside of the foot.

So I'm coming from a CCM U+ in 7.5, I've previously had Easton SE16's in a 9, both have fit me fairly well lengthwise, I tried on a mako in size 8.5 and it felt good, but the apparently dramatic change after baking/breaking down the skates that everyone is talking about makes me question it a little bit, how much will it really change?

Looks like Easton cheapened up a great handmade skate. Very sad MLX is unavailable they are my favorite skates. In comparing the two in my opinion MLX are stiffer and better made as with all Easton skates they are comfy but break down the quickest. I have been skating on my MLX' since 2010 and the Mako's are drastically less stiff in the quarter package out of the box compared to my MLX. Hopefully, Easton changes the colors because I'm not likely to don an orange and silver skate that can be seen from the rafters. The simplicity of the asthetics was also a great aspect of the MLX.