Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Your width should be fine.

The only regret I have is that I didn't wait to buy VH, especially since I have two different sized feet, which causes heel lock issues with everything I've tried so far, except for the Mako. But a full custom for the same price would have been nice.

What does VH mean?

VH is another company who makes "similar" skates to Makos (as in, based on speed-skating technology) who makes custom skates. Just another brand. There's a thread about VH on this forum. They only sell direct though, you won't see them in stores.

BTW there's a decent hockey store in Oakland, which is only 74 miles from Stockton. Just as a FYI - a bit better than the 100 miles you mentioned earlier.

Edited by OptimusReim

Ok! Thanks a lot! Do you have any regrets about the skate?

Best fitting skate i've ever had. All my previous skates have either given me a blister, or a pain somewhere on my foot. This is the first time i've never had any of those issues.

However, the pitch of the skate being at 3mm was too much for me. I really wish they were more a +1, i could even deal with a +2. At 3mm it was too much. I kept falling over my feet, having some knee pains, etc. I had to fix that.

The only other things i could say about them.. the tendon guard on the back should be a little bit stiffer and bigger (something the VH guys do well supposedly), and the tongue could be more responsive (something the mako 2's apparently fix)

VH is another company who makes "similar" skates to Makos (as in, based on speed-skating technology) who makes custom skates. Just another brand. There's a thread about VH on this forum. They only sell direct though, you won't see them in stores.

BTW there's a decent hockey store in Oakland, which is only 74 miles from Stockton. Just as a FYI - a bit better than the 100 miles you mentioned earlier.

Yeah I know about Hockey X... thanks! The problem with Hockey X is that they don't carry Easton skates, so I have to drive to San Jose and go to the Hockey Giant.

Best fitting skate i've ever had. All my previous skates have either given me a blister, or a pain somewhere on my foot. This is the first time i've never had any of those issues.

However, the pitch of the skate being at 3mm was too much for me. I really wish they were more a +1, i could even deal with a +2. At 3mm it was too much. I kept falling over my feet, having some knee pains, etc. I had to fix that.

The only other things i could say about them.. the tendon guard on the back should be a little bit stiffer and bigger (something the VH guys do well supposedly), and the tongue could be more responsive (something the mako 2's apparently fix)

Was it so bad that it almost ruined the skates? Thanks!

Pitch is an easy fix though, so don't worry about that too much. Lifts, profiling, or even just replacing the holders are all pretty easy ways to fix the pitch, if you don't like it.

Yeah I know about Hockey X... thanks! The problem with Hockey X is that they don't carry Easton skates, so I have to drive to San Jose and go to the Hockey Giant.

Was it so bad that it almost ruined the skates? Thanks!

No

I was 10.0 EE in Bauer supreme one.9 LE; 10.5 EE in Mako. I would advise driving to the store; for the money you are gonna spend, I think that 3 hours of time is nothing (unless you are earning $200,000+ per year and your time is actually that valuable)

Cosmic.. I am exactly the same as you!

I was 7.5D in my Bauer Totalone NXG before, but in my Mako I'm 8D.. definitely need to try these skate on to make sure size is correct before buying

Pitch is an easy fix though, so don't worry about that too much. Lifts, profiling, or even just replacing the holders are all pretty easy ways to fix the pitch, if you don't like it.

Before I first tried Mako, I was alternating between Mission Axiom T10 (a bit forward pitched, similar to a Vapor) and Supreme One.9s (rather flat). I felt like, when I was on ice, that I wanted a more aggressive stance. I had used Vapors a few times in the past, but when I quick started I always threw myself over the front of the skates and almost wiped out, if not for miraculous non-graceful recoveries.

When I first tried Mako, the forward/ aggressive pitched stance felt perfect (to my surprise). As mentioned, I wanted a bit more forward pitched, but was surprised how perfect it felt. I am pretty upright skater with little knee bend, so it does not seem to make sense, unless the Mako is somehow compensating favorably for my non-technical approach to skating.

When I first tried Mako, the forward/ aggressive pitched stance felt perfect (to my surprise). As mentioned, I wanted a bit more forward pitched, but was surprised how perfect it felt. I am pretty upright skater with little knee bend, so it does not seem to make sense, unless the Mako is somehow compensating favorably for my non-technical approach to skating.

Upright is ok but the guys that bend forward at the waist a lot have trouble because the same posture will put their shoulders out past their toes and take them off balance.

Upright is ok but the guys that bend forward at the waist a lot have trouble because the same posture will put their shoulders out past their toes and take them off balance.

and that was me. :mellow:

I switched to a tuuk holder. i still would like a +1 degree pitch though. need to try and get that done.

Has anyone ever tried putting a different tongue in these skates? I tried them on a couple of months ago and they were the most comfortable skate I've ever worn even pre bake, and after seeing what the 2's look like I'm starting to gain some interest in them. My problem with them is the short tongue they come with.has anyone ever swapped out the tongue for a thicker felt one? Always hated the feeling shin pads over them

I tried on a pair last night and really want to buy them now. They are really comfortable for me right out of the box.

I just had one question to any owners. Since the shop I went to won't bake them for me to try, should I fit them the same way I would a regular skate or should I go a half size down from that where my toes are cramped? Since the skate is so moldable, I heard they open up after baking and gain 1/4" in length or something?

I tried on a pair last night and really want to buy them now. They are really comfortable for me right out of the box.

I just had one question to any owners. Since the shop I went to won't bake them for me to try, should I fit them the same way I would a regular skate or should I go a half size down from that where my toes are cramped? Since the skate is so moldable, I heard they open up after baking and gain 1/4" in length or something?

I've not seen a shop that won't bake them before selling. I wouldn't buy without trying on baked. They will change a lot and if they fit out of the box, I am guessing you need a different size. For an $800 skate that's intended to be baked multiple times, I'd try and convince the shop to let you bake them. Have them call the Easton rep, he'll tell them to go ahead.

So it is recommended to go down a size then? I'm assuming as long as it isn't supremely uncomfortable and my toes are only curled a little, it should flatten out and be perfect after a bake?

So it is recommended to go down a size then? I'm assuming as long as it isn't supremely uncomfortable and my toes are only curled a little, it should flatten out and be perfect after a bake?

I was in 7 E Supreme Tones and I ended up in 6.5 D Makos. I even feel like I could possibly go to a 6 in the Makos, but the 6.5s are immensely better than the 7 E Supreme Tones. Still, they are so moldable and can open up soooo much, I'd be wary of buying without baking. The shop really shouldn't have a problem with baking, the reps recommend it.

There's no guarantee -- you'll have to try it. If the shop won't take them back after baking if they don't fit right, you're at the wrong shop. You can take the risk, but do you want to?

I was in a 7D Vapor, then went to 6.5D 20K. The guy actually gave me a 7.5D Mako to try at first and it surprisingly felt really snug and I had heel lock on both feet. However, they didn't have a size 7 but only had a 6.5D in stock.

I can't seem to find them anywhere and I'm in Toronto too! Seems like online is my best bet to find proper stock levels.

Edited by thawu

Did you try Crows in Oshawa?

I was in a 7D Vapor, then went to 6.5D 20K. The guy actually gave me a 7.5D Mako to try at first and it surprisingly felt really snug and I had heel lock on both feet. However, they didn't have a size 7 but only had a 6.5D in stock.

I can't seem to find them anywhere and I'm in Toronto too! Seems like online is my best bet to find proper stock levels.

I honestly only know of a couple local shops and the typical big box stores in the general area. I haven't had time to venture further out to be honest.