Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I'd give them a call they'll hold them for you

I honestly only know of a couple local shops and the typical big box stores in the general area. I haven't had time to venture further out to be honest.

I was in a 7D Vapor, then went to 6.5D 20K. The guy actually gave me a 7.5D Mako to try at first and it surprisingly felt really snug and I had heel lock on both feet. However, they didn't have a size 7 but only had a 6.5D in stock.

Right. When I bought, the salesperson used the Brannock and wanted me in 7.5. I told him I was in 7, so, I put those on and they felt "ok" without a bake. he told me I could bake them, so, I said, let me try a 6.5. I could barely get my feet into them without the bake. It was very tough and uncomfortable. After the bake....... fit like a glove. So, that's why I say if they feel good out of the box, I am afraid you might be disappointed. A lot of money to spend to be disappointed. If you went online, you could probably bake and try them and as long as you don't sharpen, send back if they don't fit. That might be the way to go if the shop won't bake and you don't have the size you think will work.

So two questions:

1. How does the fit of these compare to the Bauer lines? Shops around here don't have a huge selection, so I haven't been able to try on anything else but Bauer for the most part. The nexus was too wide, and the vapor fits perfect compared to the supreme for me.

2. I've heard people mention mako 2 skates coming out. Any eta on those? I eventually want a nice pair of skates (currently in vapor x5.0's) but would like to get a deal if it's possible, so even if I don't get the mako 2's, the price cut on these will be substantial.

I've only skated in Bauer's, so I don't know if I'd end up liking these better, but I'm driving by a hockey monkey store this weekend, so I might have a chance to try them on at least.

I tried them on the other day and find that they don't fit like anything else. It literally fits like a running shoe out of the box i found (just much stiffer).

I have a feeling they will be going on sale soon since I noticed a lot of Canadian stores are starting to clear them out. That or it's because they aren't that popular up here. I've been having a hard time finding a store that stocks the sizes I want to try.

Right now Easton is low on stock on the Mako and is out of them in several sizes. They are not planning to restock until the Mako II comes out, which is still quite a ways away at this point, so its quite possible that many stores dont have your size because they're sold out and cant get them. It makes it really tough right now.

We've sold a ton of Makos (having 3 of my 5 hockey playing employees in them doesnt hurt) and I'm turning people away right now because I cant get certain sizes from Easton. Unfortunately, the Mako II release is not planned for some time at this point.

• Like 1

Really? That's sounds a bit ridiculous. If the mako 2s aren't gearing up for release in the next 2 months why wouldn't they stock the originals ? That's bad business.

I've been skating in these since last April. I've only been playing for 1 year 8 months. Before these I was in bauer vapor. Once in a while I try on the new vapor, supreme or RBZ at a store. I don't think I could go back to a traditional type skate.

Do any dudes who have been playing a while feel like this too?

Really? That's sounds a bit ridiculous. If the mako 2s aren't gearing up for release in the next 2 months why wouldn't they stock the originals ? That's bad business.

No, that's not bad business or ridiculous at all. In fact, it's the exact opposite. The day that the Mako 2 becomes available, they can't sell the original at a profit. Every manufacturer in the industry tries to sell through their product before the replacement hits the market. To do otherwise would guarantee a money losing operation.

I would think it would also push people into waiting for the new model, if the old one is hard to find. Which leads to Chadd's point and having less pairs sold at a clearance price versus full retail.

No, that's not bad business or ridiculous at all. In fact, it's the exact opposite. The day that the Mako 2 becomes available, they can't sell the original at a profit. Every manufacturer in the industry tries to sell through their product before the replacement hits the market. To do otherwise would guarantee a money losing operation.

Correct. It's often called cleaning/clearing the channel. You'll see it done in all sorts of retail industries. Old and sitting inventory is costing both the manufacturer and retailer money.

I would think it would also push people into waiting for the new model, if the old one is hard to find. Which leads to Chadd's point and having less pairs sold at a clearance price versus full retail.

The will always be some "lost" sales opportunities for people that can't wait or find one on closeout, but it's a much "safer" method of doing business.

Anyone hear of a trade in with Easton.....if you have original Makos you can trade them back for the Mako II when they are launched??

Didn't Warrior do that recently with a stick?

So I was able to stop at a store kind of far away and try these on. I initially had no intention of purchasing, but after trying on, I was seriously contemplating it.

To compare, I tried on a pair of x100's at the same time - which might have been my next pair of skates if I had not tried these on.

The first thing I noticed was that there was absolutely zero negative space in any part of the boot. If my current skates even felt like that after being baked I would be happy. Even around the toe cap, it felt like it hugged my foot the entire way around. Whoever described it as a basketball sneaker type boot was dead on. I also felt a little lower to the ground on the mako vs the x100.

Just from trying them on, im pretty sold on the feel, but the only thing holding me back is the aggressive way that theyre set up. Ive never skated in graf's, or any other type of skate set up like this. No idea if Ill like it more or end up hating it, but right now $750 is a lot to gamble on something that im not 100% about.

Ive been skating on Bauer's, and do like how theyre set up - and I also see most pros wearing the same skates (vs graf and mako), which sort of makes me want to stay with a traditional skate - and not have skates that im going to have to change my skating style to match. Not saying I wouldnt, but I like using stuff thats widely used, and adapt myself to it, rather than use some niche type of equipment (example - I loved using the heatley pattern, but I switched to a Hall because its more popular, and ended up forcing me to shoot the right way).

Anyone hear of a trade in with Easton.....if you have original Makos you can trade them back for the Mako II when they are launched??

Didn't Warrior do that recently with a stick?

So a few guys at the store talked to me about the skates, these are rumors I heard from them:

Guy 1: New skates coming out in June. Exact same skate but no colors

Guy 2: New Skates coming out in Fall. Mako will be doing the trade in program like Warrior did (actually mentioned warrior as well)

Obviously both reports are conflicting, but I'm skeptical of a trade in program if they are going to be the exact same skate.

That being said, it would make more sense to stop production now if they plan on doing a trade in program in the spring or summer - since they dont want a bunch of old models being sold that are just going to be traded back in anyway.

And for the record, seeing them in person - I actually kind of liked the orange. But obviously this is gonna put a target on your head as the guy with the orange skates. I guess you can always just black them out somehow. I really didnt like the red on my vapors, so I sharpied over them and I think they look pretty good.

So I was able to stop at a store kind of far away and try these on. I initially had no intention of purchasing, but after trying on, I was seriously contemplating it.

To compare, I tried on a pair of x100's at the same time - which might have been my next pair of skates if I had not tried these on.

The first thing I noticed was that there was absolutely zero negative space in any part of the boot. If my current skates even felt like that after being baked I would be happy. Even around the toe cap, it felt like it hugged my foot the entire way around. Whoever described it as a basketball sneaker type boot was dead on. I also felt a little lower to the ground on the mako vs the x100.

Just from trying them on, im pretty sold on the feel, but the only thing holding me back is the aggressive way that theyre set up. Ive never skated in graf's, or any other type of skate set up like this. No idea if Ill like it more or end up hating it, but right now $750 is a lot to gamble on something that im not 100% about.

Ive been skating on Bauer's, and do like how theyre set up - and I also see most pros wearing the same skates (vs graf and mako), which sort of makes me want to stay with a traditional skate - and not have skates that im going to have to change my skating style to match. Not saying I wouldnt, but I like using stuff thats widely used, and adapt myself to it, rather than use some niche type of equipment (example - I loved using the heatley pattern, but I switched to a Hall because its more popular, and ended up forcing me to shoot the right way).

So a few guys at the store talked to me about the skates, these are rumors I heard from them:

Guy 1: New skates coming out in June. Exact same skate but no colors

Guy 2: New Skates coming out in Fall. Mako will be doing the trade in program like Warrior did (actually mentioned warrior as well)

Obviously both reports are conflicting, but I'm skeptical of a trade in program if they are going to be the exact same skate.

That being said, it would make more sense to stop production now if they plan on doing a trade in program in the spring or summer - since they dont want a bunch of old models being sold that are just going to be traded back in anyway.

And for the record, seeing them in person - I actually kind of liked the orange. But obviously this is gonna put a target on your head as the guy with the orange skates. I guess you can always just black them out somehow. I really didnt like the red on my vapors, so I sharpied over them and I think they look pretty good.

I'd go with the skate that you feel fits best. What other people wear, both pro and amateur, should not matter. The pitch can be adjusted if you find it's too agressive for you - there's been a lot of discussion that issue earlier in this thread.

The Mako 2 is not the same skate with no no colours. See JRs 2014 Easton catalog review: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/65281-2014-easton-hockey-catalogue/

The Mako 2 will be new for 2014 as well with some upgrades; it's just not a color change.

The boot has been tweaked a bit, with upgraded ankle padding to address some issues that skaters had with the original version, and a new multi-density felt-backed tongue and upgraded footbeds. It does gain a family, however. The Mako M8 is a fiberglass version of the skate at a lower price point, as well as a youth version of the Mako II.

I'm unaware of any Warrior trade in program. They only had the 60 day guarantee where if you bought a DT1 and didn't like it you could take it back within 60 days. Perhaps Easton will try something similar to get more people into the skates, but this thread is the only place I've heard that rumour. I definitely do not think that they'll be allowing people to trade in original Mako skates for Mako 2 skates unless there is a warranty issue with the Mako skates and they no longer have the Mako in that size.

As for a release date, I believe the rep at Winterfest said the targeted release for the Mako 2 was August, but plans can change.

Edited by althoma1

As is often remarked by others, the aggressive pitch is a relatively easy fix. If the boot fits better than anything else, then if you try the pitch and don't like it, you can get the steel profiled to essentially, exactly match the pitch of the Bauer skate of your choice. Alternatively, lifts could be used as well. In both cases, a relatively simple fix for the skate the fits your foot the best.

Right. When I bought, the salesperson used the Brannock and wanted me in 7.5. I told him I was in 7, so, I put those on and they felt "ok" without a bake. he told me I could bake them, so, I said, let me try a 6.5. I could barely get my feet into them without the bake. It was very tough and uncomfortable. After the bake....... fit like a glove. So, that's why I say if they feel good out of the box, I am afraid you might be disappointed. A lot of money to spend to be disappointed. If you went online, you could probably bake and try them and as long as you don't sharpen, send back if they don't fit. That might be the way to go if the shop won't bake and you don't have the size you think will work.

So I went back and tried on a few more pairs and I found my size. The only thing I'm unsure about is the blade size. I normally skate on 263 steel but noticed the boot size that fits me is 254. Was it a big adjustment for you to go to smaller steel coming from a 7E T1 I think you said? I always wondered if smaller steel would make a big difference or would a similar profile/radius completely nullify the size difference?

So I went back and tried on a few more pairs and I found my size. The only thing I'm unsure about is the blade size. I normally skate on 263 steel but noticed the boot size that fits me is 254. Was it a big adjustment for you to go to smaller steel coming from a 7E T1 I think you said? I always wondered if smaller steel would make a big difference or would a similar profile/radius completely nullify the size difference?

It's hard to say. It was a biggish adjustment, but I came from an 11 ft radius with a -1 pitch to a 9 ft radius and +2 pitch. Never even considered the blade length. On top of it the boot fit so much differently and I messed with that. So, all in all, I can't comment specifically on blade length and adjustment since there were so many things that contributed to the adjustment. Sorry.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm sure the skate is so different I'll have other things to worry about. Did you just sharpen the skates when you got them or would you recommend to get my sharpener to put my usual profile on it?

Ah, that makes sense. I'm sure the skate is so different I'll have other things to worry about. Did you just sharpen the skates when you got them or would you recommend to get my sharpener to put my usual profile on it?

I stuck with the stock profile. There's a long back story, but the 11 ft profile I was on in my Tones is not the stock profile. So, I wanted to stick with the stock Mako 9 ft. It works well for me and was immediately better than the 11 ft in my view. The mako ES4 is pretty good steel from what I can tell and the stock profile works well for me now.

If you have a profile you are comfortable with, you probably want to use that profile, though. It may or may not be the same as the Mako, so, eliminating one variable would help if there is an adjustment period.

I upped the profile to 10' and had a slight negative pitch put on, it made it a lot easier for me. But, I'm not a fantastic skater so take that with a grain of salt.

I noticed that the ES4 steel comes pre-profiled, so I'll probably just give that a try since I guess it's optimized for the skate. As long as both are consistent from the factory, I guess it's a matter of just getting adjusted. I've gone through a bunch of different profiles in the past depending on the sharpener I used during that period. So I'm sure I'll be able to adjust to the new one.