Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brdhockey

Hossa pro stock curve questions

Hi guys. I looked around but couldn't find an answer to my questions about the Hossa pro stock curve.

I currently use a retail sakic curve and while stickhandling and wrist shots are good, my backhands and passes aren't all that great with it. Especially since my last stick had the easton iginla curve: amazing backhands and passes but shots were not as hard.

I'm a shoot first kinda guy and take mostly wrist shots, but I also use my backhand a lot. How is the Hossa pro curve on backhands? And by backhand, I mean long hard backhands from the face off dots, not just roofers on breakaway/dekes.

How does the Hossa curve compare to a sakic curve? I'm especially intrigued by he Hossa curve's "straight" section before the toe hook. I'm thinking it could give me proper leverage for backhand shots and be pretty good for passes too.

So, what are your experience with it?

I use the similar kreps curve. The Sakic is MUCH easier to shoot backhands with especially from farther distances. I personally love the curve because I feel like I have way more control on the puck and shots spring off the stick like no other.

I love the hossa curve. Very good for saucer passes and puckhandling. Its takes a few icetimes to get used, but after you get used to it, it is a great all around curve.

I use the similar kreps curve. The Sakic is MUCH easier to shoot backhands with especially from farther distances. I personally love the curve because I feel like I have way more control on the puck and shots spring off the stick like no other.

Isn't the Kreps curve more like a Sakic with more toe to it? From what I've seen the Hossa seems to have more of a "straight" section, then a toe curve, while the Kreps seems to start to curve in the middle a bit more. But then again, this is just from pics I've seen.

Isn't the Kreps curve more like a Sakic with more toe to it? From what I've seen the Hossa seems to have more of a "straight" section, then a toe curve, while the Kreps seems to start to curve in the middle a bit more. But then again, this is just from pics I've seen.

Ya I'm pretty sure the hossa has a straight curve then hooks at the toe. Agree the Kreps is like a sakic with more toe.

Ya I'm pretty sure the hossa has a straight curve then hooks at the toe. Agree the Kreps is like a sakic with more toe.

The Kreps curve starts, and is centered much closer to the toe than a Sakic. They aren't very similar at all.

Obviously how a curve performs for you is all about your individual technique/mechanics, but for me personally the Hossa curve was good for backhands, but I didn't like it for forehand shooting or passing. It's a very extreme curve, basically totally straight by the heel with a very open toe hook at the end, it requires some pretty drastically different form than most other curves.

If you like Sakic for forehand shots and passing, but not for backhands, have you considered the P106? I find it shoots similar to a Sakic, but has a bit less loft, and is straighter in the mid/toe region, might be just the right compromise for you.

If you like Sakic for forehand shots and passing, but not for backhands, have you considered the P106? I find it shoots similar to a Sakic, but has a bit less loft, and is straighter in the mid/toe region, might be just the right compromise for you.

Thanks for the input David. I've used mid curves for the last few years so I don't know how a heel curve would work for me. I'm guessing it would take a bit of getting used to (the Hossa too). The thing I'm most worried about with the p106 is toe drags. I remember toe drags were a nightmare with the Iginla's straighter curve pattern.

Just a quick update. I went on and ordered a Base BC 10 (Russell Curve), which is the same as the Hossa, but a bit taller (I was told the Hossa is a small blade). Tried it for the first time last night and coming off a p92 Backstrom, there wasn't much of an adjustment period, I just had to remember to craddle the puck towards the toe a bit more. The open toe wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated, I didn't shoot over the glass, puck went to the top of the net, like I was used to with the sakic or p92 blades. What struck me is how good that thing is on toe drags. I was able to change the angle of my shots a lot more with that blade, not to mention retrieve pucks that I would've lost without that toe hook. As far as passing goes, big improvement there too, the flat portion of the blade helped a lot. Ihave yet to test backhand shots extensively with it, but from the few that I was able to get during the game, I felt like I was able to put more weight on the shots since the puck wasn't slipping away from the blade like it does with the p92. So, thanks for your input guys, I'm happy with my new stick so far.

How does the length compare to the p92?

Thanks

The p92 is longer, but keep in mind that the BC10's curve is more aggressive, length would probably be similar it if was straightened out. Height is pretty much the same on both blades, except at the toe, where the p92 keeps getting taller and the BC10 shrinks a bit because of its open face.

can somebody post side by side pics of the hossa and the russell and a p92/sakic?

I'll try to find some time to take pics weekend, the Russell vs whatever I can find here that isn't broken. I do not have a hossa curve, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Russell is a Hossa clone, the only difference is the height if the blade (the Russell is a taller blade).

can somebody post side by side pics of the hossa and the russell and a p92/sakic?

My friend has a Russell, even Base describes it this way. Russell is just a taller longer version of a Hossa.

My friend has a Russell, even Base describes it this way. Russell is just a taller longer version of a Hossa.

Sorry to gravedig this thread....

But how much longer is the Russell compared to the Hossa? P92 length?

I use Hossa pro stock (CL 500) and it's my favorite curve out of the many different pro stock sticks I have. Great for slappers, passing and super easy to use on the back hand. I have four of them, but have broken two so far.... going to buy up as many pro stock HOSS sticks I can as I. Jagr pro stock would be my next favorite, following Martindale and Jenys.