Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
althoma1

Warrior Projekt Elbow Pads (2012 grey and blue)

Background: 6’2”, north of 200lbs Adult Recreational player (both ice and roller)
Product: 2012 Warrior Projekt Elbow Pads (blue and grey) – Senior Large

Previous Pads: Mission Sub Zero, Bauer One90, Nike V14 (all Senior Large), and 2010 Warrior Projekt (white, Senior Medium)
Timeframe: Late Spring 2012 - Present

Fit
Unlike the 2010 Projekts, the 2012 Projekts fit true to size and I was able to go from medium back to my usual large. The elbow slot is both narrower and deeper compared to the 2010 Projekts and this locks your arm in better. They’re very comfortable and lock your arm in very well. The forearm protection does feel a little bulky when you first put them on, but you don’t notice this once you’re playing.

The bicep guard opens up to allow the shoulder pad to pad to slide in if so desired. This is carried over from the 2010 model and I think this is a good thing. I find the bicep pad feels more comfortable this way even when you aren’t wearing shoulder pads.

9.5/10

Mobility
These pads don’t feel quite as mobile as the 2010 version when you first put them on, but in game situations they’re very mobile. They definitely feel mobile in comparison to all the other top end 2012 pads.

There is a little slot cut out at the bottom of the elbow that helps with mobility. The bicep guards are also segmented like they were on the 2012 version, but are beefed up.

10/10

Protection
These are much more protective than the 2010 version. The elbow caps are deeper, harder and more protective. The forearm protection is also beefed up. I have taken a hard fall in these and was no worse for wear.

9/10

Weight
A very lightweight pad. Slightly heavier than the CCM CL U+ pad, but not much (a medium Projekt is 31g heavier than a medium CCM CL U+ if the measurements on IW are accurate) and are lighter than most high end pads.

9.5/10

Durability

After a few months of use the pads still look like new and none of the stitches have come loose (I had a problem with the stitches on the middle strap of the 2010 version). The top elastic pad will likely stretch out at some point, but so far it's still in great shape.

Edit 16/07/2013: After a year of use the top elastic has stretched out, but the middle and bottom straps are still holding up well and lock my elbow in pace. The bicep guard is looser with the top strap stretched out, but this really doesn't impact me when I'm playing. I also noticed that the splits in the plastic/rubber material before the forearm have enlarged - especially on the left pad which is on my top arm (I shoot right). They're still holding together, but the splits are significantly larger than on a new pad and are approaching the edge on the left elbow pad. Right now the inner material seems to be preventing it from completely splitting, but it is an area of concern. They're still very functional after a year of using them for both ice and roller hockey several times a week though.

9.5/10 8/10

Intangibles
The pads are grey and blue instead of white so stains and dirt don’t easily show up on them. The elbow portion is a little pointy and is quite deep so they aren’t as low profile as the 2010 version.

Conclusion
These are mobile, comfortable, light, protective and stay in place, but the top elastic strap could've been thicker or made from the same neoprene like material as the middle strap and the splits before the forearm get bigger with use (although this has not affected the fuction so far). I prefer the grey and blue colour to white of the original Projekts. These are the best high end elbow pads I’ve ever owned and I highly recommend them.
9.5/10

Edited by althoma1