Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2013 Easton Hockey Catalogue

I'll ask on Saturday if it is confirmed.

Awesome, thank you. Hopefully it's the answer I want to hear, haha.

I would prefer that over all the toes and wild curves that are coming on the market.

Why is there such a huge rise in these kinds of curves? I don't get it.

The Mako gloves and shoulders look super interesting. Also the 'pro' line looks good. I might have to give those shins a look.

I'd guess it has something to do with the current generation of young hockey players who do nothing during practice but practice "the crosby trick" and say things like "duster", "dirty hang" and "celly".

Why is there such a huge rise in these kinds of curves? I don't get it.

Nor do I. Traditionally, they have not done well at retail. I don't know if the current love for them is a fad or more of a trend.

I still say it's a niche. They seem to be loved by people on the board but I never see (m)any actually used in the years I've played. I see maybe one a year, dating back to the time I first saw the old Christian Pittsburgh pattern.

My first instinct is that's it's a fad initiated by the massive popularity of Ovi. There's been some borderline curves in the past but even then I would still be able to adjust easily. We have a demo RBZ with the Landeskog curve at the shop, I was so frustrated and confused as to (1) Why does ANYONE need this much curve/openness and (2) How do the pro's do it and make it look easy? I don't know if I'm old school these days but I like a plain mid neutral curve (Zberg) and have no problems getting the puck up. I can see what Easton is trying to do with their new curve but some of these are just too much.

I still say it's a niche. They seem to be loved by people on the board but I never see (m)any actually used in the years I've played. I see maybe one a year, dating back to the time I first saw the old Christian Pittsburgh pattern.

That's my feeling as well. I remember when almost have the EMB claimed to use the Shanny, but it was easily the worst selling blade in just about any shop that stocked them. It's not like the guys that go gaga for pro stock toe curves are going to stop buying pro stocks to buy a retail curve.
  • Like 1

What was the old Bauer toe curve? Tverdovsky? I remember that selling like whatever the opposite of hotcakes is.

I like how they feel for puck handling. Some claim they "shoot better", whatever I can shoot just as well with almost any pattern if given some time with it.

I'm just glad I scooped up all my Kovalchuk variations before they got popular and the price started to skyrocket. I hate the Ovie pattern's semi-popularity because one guy on a team always has one and he shoots exclusively at my eye level.

The Mako skates look fantastic. I will be picking up a pair for sure (As long as they fit of course). The heat molding abilities of them look awesome.

Edited by kovalchuk71

Because they're all more-or-less toe curves, which is what the discussion was about regarding Easton's patterns. The other thing they have in common is their apparent lack of success.

What Mack said, we're talking about patterns that are lacking in terms of retail success.

Trying to steer the topic back moreso to Easton's Iginla, I think that blade would be more popular if the blade was larger...it's really a tiny blade.

That's my feeling as well. I remember when almost have the EMB claimed to use the Shanny, but it was easily the worst selling blade in just about any shop that stocked them. It's not like the guys that go gaga for pro stock toe curves are going to stop buying pro stocks to buy a retail curve.

As someone that uses intermediates and thus pro stocks not really being a useable option because of how much I'd have to cut off, it's nice having several companies offering toe/mid-toe curves. I'll be curious to see if they do well enough to stay in production, I don't hold out a lot of hope but it's a good time to be someone with a preference for such curves.

What Mack said, we're talking about patterns that are lacking in terms of retail success.

Trying to steer the topic back moreso to Easton's Iginla, I think that blade would be more popular if the blade was larger...it's really a tiny blade.

That's why I liked Heatley. It was similar to Iginla, but much longer.

That's why I liked Heatley. It was similar to Iginla, but much longer.

I liked it too...except for the lie. I still have my Heatley CNT actually.

Heatley was the closest retail curve I could get to the Modano Pro. Which is still not really even close, but the square toe was great.

What was the old Bauer toe curve? Tverdovsky? I remember that selling like whatever the opposite of hotcakes is.

I had a few of those blades. Wasn't that the original P10, or was that the Bure?

Tverdovsky and Desjardins (one was P23 if I'm not mistaken) were both mids, P10 was Bure, I think way back when Bauer also had P12 at retail as "Francis."

I saw the P28 Mako in a righty, I compared it to something more extreme than P92, but not as extreme as a Gionta. Definitely more usable than the average toe curve.

Heatley was the closest retail curve I could get to the Modano Pro. Which is still not really even close, but the square toe was great.

I loved the square toe. I moved to the RBK Datsyuk, which I'm finding similar, but shorter (more like an iginla with a square toe)

I remember that curve! That was a pretty nasty toe curve back then!

I am expecting a slightly more aggressive Versteeg when I see the E28

Edited by skyscrape

Tverdovsky and Desjardins (one was P23 if I'm not mistaken) were both mids, P10 was Bure, I think way back when Bauer also had P12 at retail as "Francis."

I saw the P28 Mako in a righty, I compared it to something more extreme than P92, but not as extreme as a Gionta. Definitely more usable than the average toe curve.

Francis came a little after the Bure was around, right when Bauer started making their blades all black and not covered in the weird wrap. The Tverdovskys I remember looked like that Pittsburgh pattern I mentioned; just really straight till they jutted out at the toe. That was on their wood stick line, so I don't know the +/- on how uniform they were with the patterns.

Desjardins was P37, Tvo was P20.

Francis came a little after the Bure was around, right when Bauer started making their blades all black and not covered in the weird wrap. The Tverdovskys I remember looked like that Pittsburgh pattern I mentioned; just really straight till they jutted out at the toe. That was on their wood stick line, so I don't know the +/- on how uniform they were with the patterns.

The ones I used weren't that harsh, they were just a deep curve with a rounded toe.