Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2013 Easton Hockey Catalogue

Really no way to compare them because it's a totally new level/concept.

It will be interesting to see the final product and how it does on the marketplace.

I didn't think it would do well, but a couple guys on my team said they would have no problem dropping that cash for their kids. One of the kids is sitting out the entire season after his second concussion in a year or so.

• Like 1

If it can actually be proven to significantly improve the safety of players with concussions - and I mean significantly - it will do amazing. However I doubt they'll be able to prove that in any way shape or form.

If a company came out with a legit concussion proof helmet - a $399 or $299 price tag is in no way out of the question - and it would sell well, too. If I have kids that play hockey, I don't care how much it would cost to keep them safe - if my budget for skates and helmet are $500, I'll gladly spend $300 of that on a helmet and then $200 skates, instead of $100 or $200 helmet with $300-$400 skates.

If it can actually be proven to significantly improve the safety of players with concussions - and I mean significantly - it will do amazing. However I doubt they'll be able to prove that in any way shape or form.

If a company came out with a legit concussion proof helmet - a $399 or $299 price tag is in no way out of the question - and it would sell well, too. If I have kids that play hockey, I don't care how much it would cost to keep them safe - if my budget for skates and helmet are $500, I'll gladly spend $300 of that on a helmet and then $200 skates, instead of $100 or $200 helmet with $300-$400 skates.

Yeah, if they can prove that it reduces concussions and other head injuries that most people will spend $300. Does anyone know the release date?

If anyone Easton is listening...Please offer the Mako II in 110 flex. While it does shoot extremely well and effortlessly, with the 5 inch extension added I am afraid it will whip out fast. Hopefully It won't as it is my new favorite stick by far.

This is exactly why goalies (well, sensible goalies) have no issue spending $300-$2000 on top-grade custom masks. Granted, some of us then go and spend almost as much again on paintjobs, but I was only arguing for particular rather than general sensibility. I really believe it's cultural, too: goalies are incredibly judgemental about peers who throw massive cash at tricked out pads and then go around wearing a salad bowl on their heads. (Just like I was there.) We get a good chuckle out of one of our number wearing a replica '70s mask the same way players are amused by someone wearing a Gretzky Jofa, but ultimately, the judgement is there, and in the form of (good natured) public shaming.

Now, I'm not suggesting that anyone who doesn't buy one of these Easton helmets should be pilloried; only that there is a difference in the culture at the ends of the ice about protecting the head, and that a helmet that behaves as ragan suggested should gain acceptance as fast as Harrison's mask+cage design did in the 1980s. (Dan Cloutier aside...)

This is exactly why goalies (well, sensible goalies) have no issue spending $300-$2000 on top-grade custom masks. Granted, some of us then go and spend almost as much again on paintjobs, but I was only arguing for particular rather than general sensibility. I really believe it's cultural, too: goalies are incredibly judgemental about peers who throw massive cash at tricked out pads and then go around wearing a salad bowl on their heads. (Just like I was there.) We get a good chuckle out of one of our number wearing a replica '70s mask the same way players are amused by someone wearing a Gretzky Jofa, but ultimately, the judgement is there, and in the form of (good natured) public shaming.

Now, I'm not suggesting that anyone who doesn't buy one of these Easton helmets should be pilloried; only that there is a difference in the culture at the ends of the ice about protecting the head, and that a helmet that behaves as ragan suggested should gain acceptance as fast as Harrison's mask+cage design did in the 1980s. (Dan Cloutier aside...)

That drives me nuts. I know plenty of people that shoot harder than me and I've dented my friend's Sportmask's cage almost an inch from a wrist shot...and people are wearing Itech/Bauer 2500s. :facepalm:

The problem with player versus goalie masks is that it's much harder to get valid info on a players' helmet...and what's to say that one helmet is not better in one area but worse in another area? With goalie masks it's pretty easy to tell how good your mask is when someone rings a good one off of it.

Well, to be fair, there is actually no good information on goalie helmets either. Woo hoo, someone certified it with a drop-test -- oh, wait, they never tested impact force transmission. Guess I'll just screw up my eyes and pray really hard... The belief that a good composite shell and reasonably soft, resilient foam may be correct, but it's no more well-founded than the belief of pro players that VN is better than EPP.

The guy who's done maybe the best testing work out there is Blaine Hoshizaki of UOttawa. He's a good man -- and thorough.

Got to try one of teammates Mako 2 last night (85 flex Hall curve). Supposedly Easton lightened up the blade on the Mako 2, but this stick seemed awfully blade heavy to me. Anomaly, or are others experiencing the same?

To me the balance (75 flex/grip/E28) feels pretty much the same as the original RS (75 flex/grip/P3). It's not as light as a Nexus 1000 or a NXG, but there's no way I'd call it awfully blade heavy.

Got to try one of teammates Mako 2 last night (85 flex Hall curve). Supposedly Easton lightened up the blade on the Mako 2, but this stick seemed awfully blade heavy to me. Anomaly, or are others experiencing the same?

Although everyone is hyped up about the top end Mako stick, I would just like to draw some much deserved attention to the pricepoint Mako M1 II and M2 II. Although I have not weighed them individually, they are perhaps the lightest and most balanced sticks at their respective ($70, $100) pricepoints. Absolutely phenomenol first impression.

To me the balance (75 flex/grip/E28) feels pretty much the same as the original RS (75 flex/grip/P3). It's not as light as a Nexus 1000 or a NXG, but there's no way I'd call it awfully blade heavy.

That's why I was thinking his stick was a fluke. Don't get me wrong, I was pleased with the puck feel and performance and didn't notice that any of the sticks at WF were blade heavy. I still prefer the RS, but that's my preference.

To be honest, balance got better after I cut the stick (about 3 inches). One of the things I like most about the Mako II is the really soft flex. It means I can cut it down quite a bit without turning it into a rebar.

I personally love the Mako II stick. Love the puck feel and stick load...the love is coming back for Easton twigs (assuming it is durable). Has anyone tried out the Mako II shoulders? Looks like a cool concept, but wanted to see if anyone liked it from experience.

Edited by Dangles83

Although everyone is hyped up about the top end Mako stick, I would just like to draw some much deserved attention to the pricepoint Mako M1 II and M2 II. Although I have not weighed them individually, they are perhaps the lightest and most balanced sticks at their respective ($70, $100) pricepoints. Absolutely phenomenol first impression.

+1 i picked up the 70 dollar one thinking it was the M5 and was shocked to see the sticker say $69.99!

Got to try on a pair of mako skates unheated, man it's a comfy skate very sneaker like material for the liner, unfortunately might not be deep enough for me still (skate was already molded to someone else fit but fit me really well). And for the price the best option for me now might just be custom Nexus skates all i really need it tighter heel lock on stock 1000 last for the most part.

The M3 II feels as light and balanced as a a CL, or 11K!

Hoooolyy mako-naw!

Haven't picked up an M5 II yet but it's supposed to be the same weight more or less as the original Mako.

• Like 1

Is the M5 II the "same" as the Mako II, just more durable? I.e same kickpoint, etc,,,

It is very similar in construction but has added material in the blade and in the shaft to increase the durability. There's definitely an apparent change in weight/balance from Mako II -> M5 II, but I personally have weighed all of these mentioned sticks and the M5 II is lighter than last year's Mako by a few grams. I really like the flex profile of the Mako II's, there's no visible taper but the change in material properties gives it a solid low-kick point. Once you get into the M3 II, you lose the Uni-Carbon construction and gain the Ultra-Thin taper (same as last year's Mako), providing it with a stiffer feeling flex profile than the M5 II or Mako II

Thanks chase, appreciate the info. So in your opinion, I realize it's subjective, but do you think it's worth saving the $50 and going w the mako m5 II? Is the performance in line w the mako II?

Not a problem my friend. In my honest opinion, I think it's worth it. The Mako II is crazy light and has a great balance point, when I grabbed the M5 II immediately after it I definitely did not like the additional heaviness in the blade and different balance point at all. I will say that if you did get the M5 II, you're gonna be happy with it because of how closely related it is to the Mako II.

Saw the Mako skates in person last night, though only briefly. They felt significantly more rigid in the uppers than I was expecting given how much they are touting the ability to gain forward flex. Also, the tongue was significantly more substantial than I would have thought. Still looked nice though and I'm still very interested in trying them on when they are available.

Also, and maybe this is just me, but these skates look really big. Whether I'm seeing them on tv or even when I held them last night, they look big for the respective sizes. Maybe it's a visual effect due to the coloring or the size of the holder, but I always had the same thought about the MLX skates.

Edited by shooter27

Saw the Mako skates in person last night, though only briefly. They felt significantly more rigid in the uppers than I was expecting given how much they are touting the ability to gain forward flex. Also, the tongue was significantly more substantial than I would have thought. Still looked nice though and I'm still very interested in trying them on when they are available.

Also, and maybe this is just me, but these skates look really big. Whether I'm seeing them on tv or even when I held them last night, they look big for the respective sizes. Maybe it's a visual effect due to the coloring or the size of the holder, but I always had the same thought about the MLX skates.

In my opinion, they actually look a lot smaller and sleeker than traditional skates