Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2013 Graf Catalogue

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/159-2013-graf-catalogue/

Skates - Graf is introducing a new line for 2013; MCI Technology. What they have done is layering carbon fiber in different directions to create different stiffnesses in zones. The layer that starts at the third eyelet and goes towards the back of the skate is the zone that will come in three different stiffnesses, so the skate will be offered in 75, 85 and 95 flex, in every size. The two quarters are asymmetrical - the inside ankles are shifted forward to be more anatomically correct. It is then bound together to continue their distinct heel profile and forward lean. The exterior is coated with their V2 Surlyn to protect the carbon underneath. The padding is integrated into the liner, and is a complete piece, and then layered into the boot. What also is interesting about the liner is that the material behind the liner that goes on your foot is moisture-resistant so any moisture stays on the liner and does not seep into the boot. The liner is new - it almost feels like PoronXRD, however has a tiny bit of that fuzz feel to it - extremely comfortable.

The tongue is a thinner felt, and has heat-moldable material throughout the tongue.

The fit is distinctive - it has the profile of a x35 boot, however the Achilles channel down the middle is a tad bit wider than that model. They've essentially taken that boot and crossed it with the G75. Top model is the G9035; the G8035 has glass instead of carbon fiber, and the G7035 goes with a microfiber liner and EPP quarter construction. The line rounds out from 5035, 3035 to 1035.

The SRPP skates stay the same.

The classic series stays the same, however, the 705 and 709 no longer has the ribbed quarter - it's smooth like what is on the 703, and has a new liner as well, which is a microfiber, also, new graphics packages across the board; the tendon guard notably.

For goalies, the new G9035 and G5035 are based off the player models. New yellow cowling is an option as well.

Sticks - Unchanged from 2012, however, an XWhip 65 flex in adult length has been added to the lineup.

Gloves - Unchanged other than new colorways.

Protective - Unchanged

I see my G5s were eliminated. Any reason why? I love my skates and am curious. It's not a huge deal; but it's interesting to see a pair of skates eliminated after a few years.

Nothing new yet for the skinny, shallow foot. Hope they eventually come out with something like the G9035 but in a 703/G3 fit. That liner looks so comfy.

Wait, did I read wrong and they got rid of the G3 and now only have the 703 for that foot shape?

Edited by flyers10

Are the "3feet" footbeds something that's an aftermarket insert anyone can purchase or are they custom made and that's why the footbed station is required?

For that insole, it is an aftermarket insole. The station is used to determine which one you would need.

JR, just curious. I see that people refer to the G5 and the 705 in the same category. How can I tell Graf skates by their ranking. In Bauer, they go up in number and it's pretty consistent though it changes from year to year. Still, it's either a 1.0, X1 or X 1 and up. My son wears Eastons and that's pretty consistent. I don't get how to tell what is what with Graf. do they mean it that way so they sound more scientific? I joke but it seems that's the angle they are going for on their Web site (which is terribly hard to read with the black and dark green).

And what type of a reputation do Graf pants and shins have? I don't know a single person who uses them. Just curious.

Thanks

Andy in Peoria

On the goalie front:

It's nice to see Graf immediately integrate their new MCI construction into the goalie boots, and that they continue to offer three different widths (Narrow, Regular, and Wide) in their goalie boots.

The updated Graf cowlings began to trickle out on the 7500-series skates last year, and have thus been labelled as the '7500 cowlings' though Graf doesn't given them that designation in the catalogue. In addition to a new replaceable runner and improved stainless steel, they offer a MUCH more streamlined profile than any previous Graf cowling in order to compete with the Bauer Vertexx and Reebok/CCM Customlite cowlings. In fact, our own man jimmy has found in his testing that the Graf cowlings may actually offer greater attack-angles to the ice (in at least some sizes and situations) than the Bauer or Reebok offerings. The '396 yellow' option is something different, certainly, and novel as far as I know (apart from the yellow-and-green dyed leather cowlings that the California Golden Seals' goalies used!), but they might have got more mileage out of black. Apart from those changes, the basics of the cowling remain the same: a much shorter blade with a much shorter profile (~24'-26') than most, a standard goalie-width 4mm blade, and a more rounded appearance.

On the goalie stick front, Graf has five offerings this year -- but, unfortunately, only *four* paddle sizes, and only offers *any* option in paddle size on two of their five models. The "100%" carbon-based Ultra G7500 and Supras G5500 (which are, apart from 55 grams, otherwise undifferentiated in the catalogue) and the fibreglass-reinforced wood foam-core Ultra F750 are only offered in a 27" paddle height ("SR"). For 25" ("INT"), 23" ("JR") and 19" ("Tyke") sizes, you'll need to look to the "30% carbon" Supra G4500 or the fibreglass-reinforced solid wood Supra F450. It's nice that Graf is offering a goalie stick under 20" at all, but a 4" drop from 'junior' to 'tyke' sizing leaves a huge range of goalies out in the cold. Without knowing how Graf has measured their sticks, my guess is that none of the 'Senior' options would be usable for me; I'd be limited to the 25" 'intermediate' size only available in the 4500 -- as would many fully-grown goalies with properly-sized paddles. That's not to say the sticks aren't good, but that I probably wouldn't be able to use them, and I'm not exactly a midget.

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend an honest-to-gosh certified Graf dealer somewhere in the Philadelphia/New York/New Jersey area? The list on the Graf website is woefully out of date.

Ideally, I'd like to go and use the fitting machine for the footbeds and have them tell me "Your foot is shape/size x, you need the y Graf skate."

Can anyone recommend an honest-to-gosh certified Graf dealer somewhere in the Philadelphia/New York/New Jersey area? The list on the Graf website is woefully out of date.

Ideally, I'd like to go and use the fitting machine for the footbeds and have them tell me "Your foot is shape/size x, you need the y Graf skate."

West side skate

I don't know if they had a sidas machine. I liked that they had a huge inventory that included multiple widths. And the staff was knowledgable, patient(was there for 2 hours), and had the proper tools to shape the boot. Great experience, but ymmv.

For that insole, it is an aftermarket insole. The station is used to determine which one you would need.

I wouldn't mind checking out a custom insole for my Ultra G5's, I'm just using the standard "anatomical" one.