Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backyard Hockey

Ask your backyard rink questions here!

I am going to install my first backyard rink this winter and have begun some of the initial planning. A have a couple questions:

- Any thoughts on size needed for adults to reasonably play 2-2? My initial plans are 32'x40', but I may be able to push it a bit bigger if that is going to be too small. (Rink is really for my two girls so it should be big enough, but I still would like the ability to have some guys over for beer and hockey)

-How do you construct your boards if you want to be able to move a snow blower on/off? (I am planning to use 16" high 3/4" plywood with the Nicerink brackets)

Thanks!

Like to follow this... I threaten building often, but have ponds close enough I wonder why I'd go through the trouble....but walking out back and playing has A TON of appeal.

I am going to install my first backyard rink this winter and have begun some of the initial planning. A have a couple questions:

- Any thoughts on size needed for adults to reasonably play 2-2? My initial plans are 32'x40', but I may be able to push it a bit bigger if that is going to be too small. (Rink is really for my two girls so it should be big enough, but I still would like the ability to have some guys over for beer and hockey)

-How do you construct your boards if you want to be able to move a snow blower on/off? (I am planning to use 16" high 3/4" plywood with the Nicerink brackets)

Thanks!

Hey there. I'd say no smaller than 20x40...and larger is better. I used to have a 40x56 and that would get tight with 2-on-2 with college-level players. 32x40 is a good start.

Plywood with Nicerink is a good setup. You can either use ATV ramps that you buy at the store, or just construct some sort of plywood/2x12 ramps on your own. And always try to load and unload the snowblower at the point in your rink where the water/ice is deepest. If you are using 16" boards, then you'll have to drop it down a foot if you're in an area with only 4" of ice. But if you find a spot in your rink with 10" of ice/water, then you only have to drop the snowblower down 6" inside the rink. Obviously if your yard is laser flat you won't have any deep or shallow areas, but if you do, load and unload your snowblower where the top of the boards is closest to your ice surface.

Ordered my OSB and 2x6s this morning. I'm going 56x24 this season. It was a pretty big debate about the location, I could go bigger with less slope, but I'd be about 150' from the house.

The location we are going to use is right off the porch which will be much more convenient

I wondering if anyone has any experience with how the ice will react when I have roughly 14" of water on one end and 4" on the shallow end? There is currently about 4" of ice in the deep end and the shallow end is solid. My concern is that the deep end will heave up as it freezes...is this a valid concern and is the only option to flood the rink to even it out again?

(If it matters, the rink is 32'x60' getting deeper in the long direction)

Anyone here have any experience with the different grades of Nicerink liners?  In the past I have always purchased the "NRCS" ("Nicerink Cheap Skate") liner because it was the lowest price. I am wondering if it is worth the extra money to step up to the "#1" liner? (There is even a higher grade #3, but that appears to be more for public facilities, etc).  For background, I've had the rink for two years and had no problems the first year. Second year I had a small tear in the NRCS liner that needed to be repaired after a wind storm blew a large piece of debris in the unfrozen rink (flooded the day before).

I used to use NiceRink liners and would try to get two years out of them.  At the end of each season I would lay it out on a hill and hose it down, inspecting for cuts and doing repairs.  I had a small leak one year and decided it wasn't worth the time and effort. I decided the liners are disposable and started ordering from Icerinktarps.com out of Florida. Significantly cheaper. They also sell on Ebay and run 20% off sales with some regularity.  At the end of the day all you need is  something that holds water until your initial freeze. The higher end liners are overkill for most backyard applications. Between skate blades, shovels and snow blowers the liners get cut up.  At the end of the season I drain it, roll it up and recycle it at the dump. Beats trying to clean, dry repair and roll/fold and store it for the following year.  

My backyard is sloped downwards as my house/street is on a hill.

Would I be able to have double height boards on one side (the bottom) then single height boards on the top? The bottom would need more reinforcement to hold the heavier weight?

Late December/January is when temperatures typically stay colder (North GTA area). When is the best time to lay the groundwork for the boards? 

Would it help to mow the lawn extra short before? I don't care if I kill all the grass, it's half dead.

13 hours ago, 02m3smg said:

My backyard is sloped downwards as my house/street is on a hill.

Would I be able to have double height boards on one side (the bottom) then single height boards on the top? The bottom would need more reinforcement to hold the heavier weight?

Late December/January is when temperatures typically stay colder (North GTA area). When is the best time to lay the groundwork for the boards? 

Would it help to mow the lawn extra short before? I don't care if I kill all the grass, it's half dead.

Yes, I deal with a big slope on my rink site, and I run two foot high boards on the shallow end and 4 foot high boards on the deep end in order to have enough height after all the water is in to keep pucks on the surface.

You are correct, brace the deep end more. I double up that side, as most of the weight of the water will be pushing on it.

You probably want to put your boards up before the ground freezes, it's easier to pound in stakes if the ground hasn't frozen. I do mine in late October early November here in VT.

You won't kill the grass if you pick up the liner early enough in the spring, but mowing it short will help if you drop screws or tools while you are setting up your boards.

Thanks Skoda. Any pictures of your setup, especially the double-sided part? I would like to emulate what works if you don't mind. :biggrin:

I actually don't have any good pictures of the rink under construction. I should take some breaks while building it this year and snap some.

I use triangle brackets made out of 2x6s. On the shallow side I put one every 4 feet, and on the deep end I put one every 2 feet, that's what I meant by doubled up.

Sharing ideas is what all of us backyard rink builders do so don't worry about it.

Thanks! I did not know about the company in FL selling liners. Which liner do you purchase from them (Med or heavy duty)?  I too have been recycling the liner each year for the reasons you stated. 

2 hours ago, isk8byu said:

Thanks! I did not know about the company in FL selling liners. Which liner do you purchase from them (Med or heavy duty)?  I too have been recycling the liner each year for the reasons you stated. 

Medium duty