Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Is So-And-So A Hall Of Famer? The Water Cooler Thread

I'm not sure whether this overlaps with "The Retirement Thread," because I didn't quite see a thread for discussing whether particular active players are on pace to be Hall Of Famers.

The one that got me thinking about this is Chara. I've read that he will probably play until 40, which would give him another 300-400 games, but it will be a push for him to even break the top 45 scorers among defensemen (528 points is the current threshold for 50), plus he's only 41st in plus-minus. But he's a bit like Paul Molitor in baseball -- he's clearly played his best hockey in his thirties -- and, according to polls of players, he is considered the top shutdown defenseman in the league.

The B's look like they have a good nucleus, so there's an outside chance that he'd be a two-time Cup winning captain.

I say yes, but I recognize it would take people voting him in for the nuances of his game, and not for the numbers.

I'd say yes to Chara.

I'm curious what you all think about Selanne. HOF'er?

No question in my mind about Selanne. He's in.

I think Selanne's a no-brainer. He's two points away from tying Trottier for 15th place all-time, but it's interesting to see his career enveloped the "dead ball" era. He had 76 goals as a rookie, a couple of plus 50 years, then his scoring went down, before having plus 40 years after the rule changes from the lockout.

Chara is one of those guys that will be measured in cups and Norris trophies when it comes time for HHoF consideration. How he ends his career will have a big impact as well. If he hangs on like Chelios, it may take longer for him to get in. If he retires while still near the top of his game like Lidstrom, I think he will get in faster.

In what way is he overrated? His reputation is on defense, and I know last year the other players voted him "toughest to go against." I have no idea if he won that in other years, as I never saw the results.

If he hangs on like Chelios, it may take longer for him to get in. If he retires while still near the top of his game like Lidstrom, I think he will get in faster.

That's interesting you say that, because I've always thought of Chelios as a first ballot HOFer, and I've thought his longevity adds to his case.

I'm a huge fan of Chelios, I'm just saying that being a punch line for the last couple years of your career could potentially impact HHoF voting. If you look at the bulk of his career Chelios deserves to be a first ballot inductee. If you focus on the last couple years, minor league stints and healthy scratches at the end, then it could take a couple years to get in.

Mike Modano: yes, best modern american player, cup and olympic silver

Niklas Lidstrom: yes, triple gold
Kris Draper: yes 4x cup, WC gold
Eric Lindros: yes, ever debated, but still when? Olympic gold, records and stats
Mark Recchi: yes(I guess), 3x cup
Peter Forsberg: yes, triple gold

Scott Niedemeyer: yes, triple gold

Brendan Shanahan: yes, triple gold

Chris Chelios: yes, Olympic silver, bucket load of games

Anymore?

Mike Modano: yes, best modern american player, cup and olympic silver

Niklas Lidstrom: yes, triple gold

Kris Draper: yes 4x cup, WC gold

Eric Lindros: yes, ever debated, but still when? Olympic gold, records and stats

Mark Recchi: yes(I guess), 3x cup

Peter Forsberg: yes, triple gold

Scott Niedemeyer: yes, triple gold

Brendan Shanahan: yes, triple gold

Chris Chelios: yes, Olympic silver, bucket load of games

Anymore?

International success is not much of a criteria for guys that spend most of their career in the NHL. Lindros has numbers that compare well against Neely, who was recently inducted.

Burns is an interesting candidate. He's 18th in games coached and 16th in wins, but not among the top 20 in winning percentage. On the other hand, coaches are generally hired to take over losing organizations, so it's not unexpected that his winning percentage would be lower. He won three Jack Adams Awards for coach of the year, plus a Stanley Cup. I'd say he's on the cusp, mainly because I think of HOF coaches as having more championships.

On a different topic, what do people think of longevity? Some people ding it, because it allows slightly above players on a seasonal basis to put up greatly above average career numbers. I understand that thinking, but it doesn't bother me that someone accrued his numbers over time; very few players have been good enough or healthy enough to play in the twenty year vicinity, so that's part of what made a particular player special.

Conversely, does lack of seasons matter when injuries robbed a player of a normal career? In other words, would Sydney Crosby be a HOFer if one more hit ended his career this season?

Conversely, does lack of seasons matter when injuries robbed a player of a normal career? In other words, would Sydney Crosby be a HOFer if one more hit ended his career this season?

You have to use Neely as the poster boy for short careers, now that he is in.

Burns is an interesting candidate. He's 18th in games coached and 16th in wins, but not among the top 20 in winning percentage. On the other hand, coaches are generally hired to take over losing organizations, so it's not unexpected that his winning percentage would be lower. He won three Jack Adams Awards for coach of the year, plus a Stanley Cup. I'd say he's on the cusp, mainly because I think of HOF coaches as having more championships.

On a different topic, what do people think of longevity? Some people ding it, because it allows slightly above players on a seasonal basis to put up greatly above average career numbers. I understand that thinking, but it doesn't bother me that someone accrued his numbers over time; very few players have been good enough or healthy enough to play in the twenty year vicinity, so that's part of what made a particular player special.

That's basically the question of the critical criterion -- quality of player, or quality of career? Does the Hall give the voters any guidance on this?

I don't know, Cole. I've met a few of the players who are on the committee, but I've never spoken them about anything more than their fantasy football leagues....

Orr might be the biggest example of a player getting in after a shortened career, but I think he illustrates that they have to have meteoric stats in that case. In other words, burned very brightly for a short time. So Neely was a definite to me, as well as Crosby would be, but I'm not sure about Forsberg, even though I loved his play. We have to factor in that he played during the dead ball era, because only two years over 100 points doesn't pop out.

Sounds like a sliding scale, then. There are still a lot of people that consider Orr the greatest player of all time, though his career was rather short. We can put him at one end of the scale.

Sounds like a sliding scale, then. There are still a lot of people that consider Orr the greatest player of all time, though his career was rather short. We can put him at one end of the scale.

And I'm one of 'em!