Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Heel Lock - Help?

Congrats on the new skates, hope they break in and you are done with your search for a while. Next time bring a left and right golf glove when trying on skates to save your hands from blisters.

BTW my toes sometimes rub sometimes they don't I think it depends on how much I've been on my feet the days I play.

Not to come across as an a hole but in my experience, skates will have sore spots until you have skated in them and broken them in properly. No point in complaining or worrying at this point. Give them a few hours of ice time.

Not to come across as an a hole but in my experience, skates will have sore spots until you have skated in them and broken them in properly. No point in complaining or worrying at this point. Give them a few hours of ice time.

For sure, I agree. Considering they were super comfy in the store immediately after baking, that should give me an idea of how they will feel once broken in. I'll go for a skate on Monday or Tuesday and see how they are. If it's bearable then I won't bother with the stretching. The only thing I might do is have them baked one more time... I've heard a lot of people say that multiple bakings helped them break-in better. Can't hurt, right?

Congrats on the new skates, hope they break in and you are done with your search for a while. Next time bring a left and right golf glove when trying on skates to save your hands from blisters.

BTW my toes sometimes rub sometimes they don't I think it depends on how much I've been on my feet the days I play.

Yep, feet tend to swell a bit over the course of the day if you've been on them. you always have to keep that in mind when trying skates on.

Yep, feet tend to swell a bit over the course of the day if you've been on them. you always have to keep that in mind when trying skates on.

Tremendous point. And if you for instance gain 25 pounds, it may end up that you need a wider skate as a result too. I think that the larger point here should be you need something that doesn't physically damage your feet, but perhaps a really small point of pressure or one spot that isn't ideal won't be a gamebreaker. Even custom skates may not be perfect after you break them in...

Chris, I hope that the skates you got work for you, and that the decision to pass, on the Makos, doesn't cost you more in the long run. Good luck.

+1 Good luck to you, back on the heel lock subject, I'm having troubles with the vapor line with their "tapered fit" thing...

Took them to the LHS, they said skates can't be stretched in length. I guess I'll just take them back to Hockeymonkey and exchange for makos. I assume they will take them back, considering they were the ones who claimed they could be stretched.

Do the foot beds have then toe flaps on them? If so taken out the foot beds and try on the skates, does the extra room help with the toe space... If so further break in will help your heel set back a bit.. Or get them lengthened a bit... But I would only get them lengthened if the skates are perfect fit everywhere else

Well, I guess either way ill be taking a trip to hockey monkey tomorrow, then.

Do the foot beds have then toe flaps on them? If so taken out the foot beds and try on the skates, does the extra room help with the toe space... If so further break in will help your heel set back a bit.. Or get them lengthened a bit... But I would only get them lengthened if the skates are perfect fit everywhere else

No toe flaps.

Break in might help, but I can't skate in them to be able to break them in.

The heel lock is good but they are too small length and width wise. But both were good after I had them baked and stretched (width). That is, until they cooled. Now they're too small again.

Optimus, I don't recall if you said this or not but have your tried different types of socks with your new skates? It's amazing to me the difference in the feel of a skate boot with a thin sock versus thick sock or vise versa. I even resorted (at one time) to wearing 2 thick socks on my right and a thin one on my left. Finding the right skate really sucks! Even with my Mako skates I still have to wear an ezeefit ankle booty on my right foot. The fit of the Mako skates is phenomenal but not much you can do when your feet are different sizes. I hated to spend that much on skates but it has made a difference in my skating. Good Luck!

I thought on modern composite boots you really couldn't stretch it lengthwise you really had to punch out the heel to gain any length, which could lead to other issues.

Optimus, I don't recall if you said this or not but have your tried different types of socks with your new skates? It's amazing to me the difference in the feel of a skate boot with a thin sock versus thick sock or vise versa. I even resorted (at one time) to wearing 2 thick socks on my right and a thin one on my left. Finding the right skate really sucks! Even with my Mako skates I still have to wear an ezeefit ankle booty on my right foot. The fit of the Mako skates is phenomenal but not much you can do when your feet are different sizes. I hated to spend that much on skates but it has made a difference in my skating. Good Luck!

Yeah if you have dinosaur feet custom is the best route.

Sometimes you just have to tough it out for a few skates, as long as your are not getting bumps you will be fine. And or rebake at the local shop and go skate.

I'd be more likely to go mako over custom.

Yeah but what if it doesn't work out? I mean I get it's the latest and coolest new toy that all the kids on the block have but it's not exactly magical pixy dust. After all is said and done with everything you've spent on skates you could have easily gone custom on Day 1 and worry more about your skating instead of gear.

Sometimes you just have to tough it out for a few skates, as long as your are not getting bumps you will be fine. And or rebake at the local shop and go skate.

Not sure thats an option. I made it two laps around the rink at a slow speed yesterday before I had to take them off.

Yeah but what if it doesn't work out? I mean I get it's the latest and coolest new toy that all the kids on the block have but it's not exactly magical pixy dust. After all is said and done with everything you've spent on skates you could have easily gone custom on Day 1 and worry more about your skating instead of gear.

I tried them on in the store and they were perfect. Just more than double the price point I was looking to stay at.

Chris, I hope that the skates you got work for you, and that the decision to pass, on the Makos, doesn't cost you more in the long run. Good luck.