Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Heel Lock - Help?

big toe. I cant stand in them without curling my toes. They were perfect just after baking, though. (I've already said all this in previous posts)

How long did you keep them on after baking? If they fit that well and it's so different after cooling, it sounds like they may have still been a bit too warm and pliable when you took them off.

big toe. I cant stand in them without curling my toes. They were perfect just after baking, though. (I've already said all this in previous posts)

I have the same issue with my x40, I hate that "tapered" fit thingy.

I'm pretty much the opposite. ~V shape foot.

The skates just hit the bay actually xD

How long did you keep them on after baking? If they fit that well and it's so different after cooling, it sounds like they may have still been a bit too warm and pliable when you took them off.

Probably true. As a starting point, I'm going to try a re-bake today. If that doesnt work, I have to drive the hour+ back to hockeymonkey and have them stretch the boot.

Not sure thats an option. I made it two laps around the rink at a slow speed yesterday before I had to take them off.

I tried them on in the store and they were perfect. Just more than double the price point I was looking to stay at.

I've read through your ordeal. At this point, there should be no price point. When you factor in how much time, effort, and money you've spent on skates, going with customs would actually be a savings. I think you are at the point where you need to question everything.

Probably true. As a starting point, I'm going to try a re-bake today. If that doesnt work, I have to drive the hour+ back to hockeymonkey and have them stretch the boot.

At some point you just have to say, they don't fit. I would be concerned that further baking and stretching my prevent you from returning them.

watch out for ingrowing nails

I've read through your ordeal. At this point, there should be no price point. When you factor in how much time, effort, and money you've spent on skates, going with customs would actually be a savings. I think you are at the point where you need to question everything.

At some point you just have to say, they don't fit. I would be concerned that further baking and stretching my prevent you from returning them.

Ehh it's his time and money. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has told him to go customs from the get go especially if he has two feet that are drastically different from each other. If he wants to learn the hard way it's up to him.

I don't think the store will accept returns at this point because the fitter would just say he came out of the fitting happy. What more can the fitter do at that point?

Right. The only hope I still have with these is the fact that they fit very well in store.

Ehh it's his time and money. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has told him to go customs from the get go especially if he has two feet that are drastically different from each other. If he wants to learn the hard way it's up to him.

I don't think the store will accept returns at this point because the fitter would just say he came out of the fitting happy. What more can the fitter do at that point?

Thanks for the input.

I get the impression you will never be happy with any skate. I understand frustrations with fit, I have had many myself. But sometimes you have to just deal with little niggles here and there, especially if you don't go custom.

What if the Mako turn out the same?

I get the impression you will never be happy with any skate. I understand frustrations with fit, I have had many myself. But sometimes you have to just deal with little niggles here and there, especially if you don't go custom.

What if the Mako turn out the same?

Not sure. But I tried them on in the store and fit very well. Just not $800 well, if you know what I mean. They were a last resort if I could not find anything else that worked. This was also the first time I'd ever been fitted properly. The vapors fit great when I left the store. I just didn't expect them to revert back to their straight-outta-the-box shape by the time I got home. I think McDugan may be on to something, they may have been too warm when I took them off and they "un-formed" as they cooled. Believe me, if I hadn't been 100% happy with them in the store, I certainly would not have bought them. I had cash in hand for the Makos if nothing else had worked.

If I could get them to stay the way they are after baking, I would be happy as a clam. (are clams actually happy?)

If they fit, they fit. They don't just magically change shape without heating. Did you sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the skate to form completely?

flip side of the coin.. could your foot have changed shape? Maybe from constant walking? Maybe retaining water? When I got fitted for running shoes recently i was confused when owner suggested a 4E with another half size up for my shoe fit. I asked him why, he said that with the rigors of running you want the shoe to be looser in the toebox to allow for swelling especially if you are marathon training. (No black toe nails) I did take the 4E advice but not the half size up, i gave my reason as I like my shoes to fit like how my skate fits.

Also generally, for me, the skate slightly loosens up on my foot after walking around and skating a bit. there are a couple of times where I have to retie my skates.

If they fit, they fit. They don't just magically change shape without heating. Did you sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the skate to form completely?

They fit just after baking. They did not fit once I got them home. So my guess is that I did not sit long enough, as I mentioned already.

OR, what level of discomfort are you having after they cool? Is it bearable? If so, further skating, sweating, movement will break them in more. But if they are to painful to skate in, these may be wrong for you.

Yea these are actually getting bad even now (haven't taken them off yet. It's been about 20 mins). I don't think these are going to work.

Was the heel lock and size the only thing wrong with the Nexus line you had previously? Maybe a d width in Nexus and the right size will pinch your heel, but give you the volume you need up front?

Actually the length and width in the 8D (same size) nexus600 was perfect, but bad heel lock. The guy at HM said I'd be better off to go with something with good heel lock and then stretch the boot. So that's what I did.

So I explained the entire situation to the guy at the LHS. He suggested to put them on the stretcher (forefoot width) and that that may help with the length because it gives the forefoot more space. *shrug* they're doing it at no-charge so why not?

Okay, I see, where is the pain now in the new skates?

I've explained it a few times already. They're just too short. If 8-1/4D existed I'd be happy right now. The 8.5D was too long.

So I explained the entire situation to the guy at the LHS. He suggested to put them on the stretcher (forefoot width) and that that may help with the length because it gives the forefoot more space. *shrug* they're doing it at no-charge so why not?

I've explained it a few times already. They're just too short. If 8-1/4D existed I'd be happy right now. The 8.5D was too long.

I've never heard anyone so picky about 1/4 of a size. And 8-1/4 does exist...in custom boots.

I've never heard anyone so picky about 1/4 of a size. And 8-1/4 does exist...in custom boots.

OR is not being picky, this is a matter or pain and no pain... which is a big deal.. I have an 1/8 of size difference in my feet which cause a lot of issue, and $800 custom skates can not be justified at this point.

This is why stretchers are available to make the small modifications to perfect what we have.

Well, when 8D is too short, and 8.5D is too long, you become picky about 1/4 of a size.

Thanks for your input.

Did Hockey Monkey say they could stretch length wise? They should be able to...

Yea, he did. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. He said if they're still a bit tight (saying this at the time when they felt comfortable still) they can "always be stretched longer". If that weren't an option, I would have gone another route. I'll see what this stretching the LHS is doing accomplishes. Next step is to drive all the way back to HM. If that doesn't work, then next step is Makos.