Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceman8310

Greatest Racecar driver of all time

Overall, I think you have to go with Senna. Not just because of his talents in the car, but the way he was psychologically as well. There's such a mystique around Senna, partly due to the fact he died in the car, that no other driver has. F1 is a hard sport to judge because a large amount of the competitiveness comes down to the car. Vettel wouldn't have won 3 championships in a row in a Force India. But times like Senna being over a second faster than Alain Prost in the same car at Monaco show the incredible talent and skill he had. F1 was scary in the 90's and he had some sort of ability to drive a car faster than it should go at times. It's too bad he didn't get to finish his career in F1.

But narrowing it down to a single sport or style of racing, I'd have to say Sebastien Loeb. WRC drivers have to be extremely skilled as it is, but to win 9 world championships in a row? He's inhuman.

Michael Schumacher gets an honorable mention as well.

Overall, I think you have to go with Senna. Not just because of his talents in the car, but the way he was psychologically as well. There's such a mystique around Senna, partly due to the fact he died in the car, that no other driver has. F1 is a hard sport to judge because a large amount of the competitiveness comes down to the car. Vettel wouldn't have won 3 championships in a row in a Force India. But times like Senna being over a second faster than Alain Prost in the same car at Monaco show the incredible talent and skill he had. F1 was scary in the 90's and he had some sort of ability to drive a car faster than it should go at times. It's too bad he didn't get to finish his career in F1.

But narrowing it down to a single sport or style of racing, I'd have to say Sebastien Loeb. WRC drivers have to be extremely skilled as it is, but to win 9 world championships in a row? He's inhuman.

Michael Schumacher gets an honorable mention as well.

Senna monaco was it 88? just watching him drive. always moving the car to find time. Loeb is great. He tried to go to F1 a few years ago but couldn't get a super license. Schumi was great in terms of Driver and car working as one. he would test for 12 hours each day.

Also have to say Tom Kristensen

Senna, special mentallity, "a true beliver of god" gave him alot of confidence, where do you see that today?

Juan Manuel Fangio; crazy cars, unreliable equipment and high death rate.

John Surtees; World champ on 2 and 4 wheels, moto grandprix, isle of man tt winner and F1.

Jacky Ickx, was pretty good across different types of racing.

Tom Kristensen, 8 le mans wins and could have had more already.

Loeb is also pretty crazy.

No love for Sir Jackie Stewart?

I didn't gain an appreciation for Formula 1 until later in life. Everything I have heard, read and watched points to Senna being the best there was.

I haven't researched these guys, but do any of them have the wins across different types of racing to compare with Foyt?

Surtees crossed disciplines (cars and motorcycles). Many drivers have won in different types of racing similar to Foyt. Andretti, JP Montoya, Mansell, E. Fittipaldi J. Villeneuve to name a few.

My personal favourites are Alex Zanardi, Nigel Mansell, Paul Tracy, Greg Moore, Senna, Villeneuve, Coulthard.

Jacky Ickx had some pretty amazing accomplishments as well. 6 wins in 24h LeMans, as well as 2 dozen F1 podiums.

Pretty much an impossible question to answer. The variations in car and race types makes it tough to pick the greatest driver of all time. There are plenty of folks around who would put Richard Petty or Dale Earnhardt into the conversation.

Or guys like Walker Evans and Ivan Stewart for off road, or John Force for drag, or Ricky Carmichael for Moto-Cross and Jeremy McGrath for super cross. Each type of racing takes a special type of driver or rider.