Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RussianPlayer

Bauer APX skates - lace bite/burn after just one game

Can you explain this method of lacing? For some reason, the idea does not click in my head.

Normally when you lace, you put the tip of the lace through the eyelet from the inside. When using this method, you put the tip of the lace through from the outside.

I posted this photo here 3 years ago: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51151-my-hockey-career-is-over/. My photo shows how the top row of laces in particular is affected by the two different lacing methods. With the out-to-in method, the top row of laces follows the curve of the tongue and distributes pressure evenly across it. With the more common in-to-out method, since the top row goes straight across, as you lean forward, only a small point of pressure is concentrated on the center of the tongue. Since most lace bite occurs from leaning over the top row of laces, this can have a big impact.

lacing2.jpgskate.jpg

To update; I am getting rid of this Pro guard waxed laces. What a garbage indeed. Put a pair i had in stock of A&R non waxed. A wide lace and will work just fine like on my x60s.

I will lace normal, does not seem that lacing from the top helps me in particular much. I think indeed this damn waxed laced and thin tongue gave me rashes. With EH gel pads and A&R laces I think that I will be ok without changing the tongues. Will see what happens.

Wow. Look how bad my skates fit compared to yours.

I have tried on a lot of skates but nothing has ever looked like that when on my foot

DE74AA1F-118A-48EB-AEBB-42D081CEBAA8-422

That is ugly. Are those cuts from the tongue? Were you wearing socks? I never, ever got cuts from lace bite.

Yes, in socks. I also never had that happened. Waxed laces plus thin tongue that supposedly should prevent it by design, but did it to me.

Installed EH gel pads and changed to A&R non waxed laces and seems to be fine with that issue.

I know people dont like throwing money at a problem when theres no gaurentee the issue will be resolved, however, in my honest opinion that tongue is the root of all evil. My apxs gave me lacebite as well. I resolved the issue by installing thick felt tongues like what you would find on a graf. Since then, not a single issue.

well, lace bite is actually the bruising of the tendon on the front of the shin. thats why i was so shocked by those pics. so you might only have skin abrasions instead of real lacebite.

anyway, after the cuts heal, if you still feel pain where the laces cross the shin you can always get a bunga pad or something similar. i made my own pads from my daughters soccer shin guards because those bunga pads tend to move around a lot.

I know people dont like throwing money at a problem when theres no gaurentee the issue will be resolved, however, in my honest opinion that tongue is the root of all evil. My apxs gave me lacebite as well. I resolved the issue by installing thick felt tongues like what you would find on a graf. Since then, not a single issue.

It just takes some time for the felt to compress. Eventually, you will be back to having the same problem. Adding padding is the same, be it a thick felt tongue or a gel insert.

I can say that my experience with all the manufactured pads was not good. I honestly tried everything. Bunga, g-form etc. Not good enough and moved around too much.

So i started making my own cushions out of materials like memory foam, pool noodle foam, bubble wrap etc. the pool noodle worked the best of those 3 after cutting out the middle and making it an arc and putting it directly over the shin, but it moved around and was pretty thick.

So, I noticed my daughters little shin guards for soccer. They have thinner but nice dense foam cushions under the plastic shell that are already curved enough to fit on the front of the shin. Plus, it has a stirrup to hold it in place. I made two and have used them for maybe a year or more with no breakdown at all.