Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
SmokinApricot

Bauer APX Shin Guards

Background: 5’7”, 165lbs, Adult Recreational Player (ice 4-5 times per week and roller drop-in once a month)
Product: Bauer Vapor APX shin guards SR 13”
Previous Shins: Reebok 9K SR 14”
Current Pads: Bauer Vapor APX shin guards SR 13”
Timeframe: Have been using them for approximately 4 months

Fit
These fit snug and taper down by the ankles which is what the entire Vapor series fits like. The two anchor straps in the back really enhance the fit and really suck your knee and shin into the pad for a nice snug fit. The other thing that is great about the fit is that you can remove/reposition the liner and also the calf protection to really dial in the fit. Once you get the fit dialed in they are very secure and do not move. I don’t even have to tape them.

9/10

Mobility
Very mobile. The bottom has a “free flex” zone that allows the shin guard to move forwards more which is great for getting that extra bit of forward flex in your stride.

10/10

Protection
I found these pads to be fairly protective. Nothing that was a game changer here, but the removable thigh guards and calf wrap are always appreciated. The calf wrap doesn’t come all the way over and meet where the other side of the guard, but still provide adequate protection for the back of your leg. I have taken several slap shots to the front of the shin guards and literally could not feel anything so I would say the Vent Armor does it job there.

8/10

Weight
Lightweight in my opinion, especially when compared to the tanks that I was wearing before. They are still around 100 grams heavier than the CCM Crazy Lights, but I’m not sure who would actually notice 100 grams of weight on your shin anyways. The use of Vent Armor foam keeps the weight down, but provides great protection.

9/10

Durability

I have been using these for around 4-5 months now and they look brand new. The only obvious sign of wear is from when I fell and my sock tore so the sticker that says “Bauer” on one knee cap has been smeared/scratched off. All of the straps and inner lining is in great shape. While I don’t abuse my gear and leave it in the bag for months at a time, I don’t take it out and sanitize it after every game either and it is still holding up quite well.

9/10

Intangibles
The ventilation holes on the knee cap and also on the front of the lower part that covers your leg provides great airflow. As I mentioned earlier the Free Flex zone on the lower portion really enhances forward flex in your stride and was a nice feature. The ability to remove and reposition the liner as well as the calf wrap is also a nice option and is useful.

8/10

Conclusion

I would highly recommend these shin guards to anyone looking for a tapered fitting pad. They are very mobile, light weight, and comfortable, not to mention very protective. I have been impressed with the quality and hope these will continue to last me for many more seasons.

53/60 = 8.8