Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer TotalONE NXG Girdle Teardown

I received my pair of the Bauer TotalONE NXG girdle last week, but I was out on vacation then, so I'm finally doing the write-up now. The first picture shows the pant completely assembled.

nxgpant1.JPG

Here is the rear of the pant.

nxgpant2.JPG

The spine pad is much more substantial than previous Bauer girdles...PoronXRD is layered in behind a poly insert.

nxgporon.JPG

The tailbone piece is also segmented; previous girdles had a solid piece.

nxgtail.JPG

Here is the shell, removed.

nxgshell.JPG

There are leg zippers on the shell, however, there isn't a "window", so it is pretty open - it is missing the window so that you can adjust the girdle legs if you want to. I don't unzip legs so not a concern for me.

nxgshell1.JPG

Here are the attachment points on the side. There is also one on the back of the girdle.

nxgpant3.JPG

nxgpant4.JPG

As you can see, visible panels showing the upgraded padding on the kidney and hip.

nxgpant5.JPG

Here is the kidney pad, removed. There is an additional foam backing behind the main pad.

nxgpad.JPG

nxgpad1.JPG

nxgpant6.JPG

Here is the back of the girdle. It has the vented foam throughout the back, as did previous ones, however, there's more of it.

nxgpant7.JPG

Here's the girdle, completely open. It still has the pockets where you can remove the padding to wash it. One difference from previous girdles is that the supplemental padding in the front that is in non-critical areas is sewn shut on the NXG. Now, the previous ones were prone to creasing and eventually falling out because it wasn't a very substantial foam, but for those who used to remove it (like I used to) you may want to consider making a hole and pulling it out. The padding is one piece that goes from the top to the bottom of the leg, and even wraps around with the strap.

nxgpant8.JPG

The fit is identical to my ONE95, however, a bit tighter, which makes sense; after use, the girdle will stretch and relax.

I however encountered a problem mating the shell to the girdle. It's a bit too tight for me; I would prefer it to be looser in that aspect, but I understand they are going for a streamlined pant. So for now, I'll be reviewing it without the shell, but hope to lose some pounds so that it works out better for me. I know my vacation didn't help in that regard.

Thanks goes out to John Davidson, who is the Protective category product manager at Bauer.

If you have any questions, ask them in this thread.

Very nice

It looks like the kidney and tailbone protection has been improved. How's the weight of the girdle compared to your One95?

Very interested/excited about this. I'm in the market for a better fitting girdle and would like to go this route once I see more on this.

This may be obvious to others, but what is the point of the velcro tabs with it being a "wrap" girdle? Are they to help the shell from shifting?

It's not bulky AT ALL. The fit is the same, it just has upgraded padding on the OUTSIDE of the girdle. I do not expect it to play any different than previous ones.

I'm not noticing a difference when they are on me, they feel exactly the same.

I'm going to give them a shot fully padded before I decide to gut out pads. The only ones I'd consider is the supplemental padding that runs along the inner thigh. The only reason why I used to take them out was because it would crease on the previous ones. If this one stays in place (and I think it will) then I'll leave them be.

The added spine protection looks a lot like the mod I did to mine....good to see that Bauer saw the same problem :) New tailbone protection is nice....

Whoops. I stand corrected on my original statement of this particular style of Bauer girdle dying off with the TotalOne. Apparently, I glanced at the Bauer catalog a bit hastily and overlooked that the Supreme pant was a girdle paired up with a shell as opposed to being a 2-piece pant a la CCM 520. My bad.

I know I sound like a broken record about this, but as much as I wanted to like the old TotalOne girdle, I was really disappointed with the build quality. This, compounded by nightmare stories of poor stitching, fraying, and inner-leg zipper failure from a few of the guys I skate with who use Bauer pants, and also the copy pasted pant reviews I've stumbled upon which I suspect were the work of plants, hasn't boded well for the company's image in my eyes.

My repetitive venting aside, I hope this is a much better product. I like the addition of the segmented tailbone, as it's one of the features I like on my 11K roller girdle (even though the protection it offers is a bit unsubstantial for my liking).

One last thing JR, will you be using this thread long term to post updates? I'd be very interested in seeing how well it holds up over time.

How close to the knee does the thigh padding extend, and how high do the kidney protectors and back protector go?

How close to the knee does the thigh padding extend, and how high do the kidney protectors and back protector go?

It's the exact same length as my ONE95.

Any idea on possible price?

I posted that price in the initial Bauer catalogue review post. $149. The ONE.8 (which spec-wise is same as previous T1 girdle) is $119. That includes the shells.

It's the exact same length as my ONE95.

I posted that price in the initial Bauer catalogue review post. $149. The ONE.8 (which spec-wise is same as previous T1 girdle) is $119. That includes the shells.

So the one.8 will be less padding? Can you elaborate on this please?

So the one.8 will be less padding? Can you elaborate on this please?

There's no elaboration needed; I already said what it was. Since the NXG has upgraded padding from previous Bauer girdles, and that the ONE.8 is the previous girdle...

How is the sizing and fit compared to the MBP girdle? My girdle is a bit old and really confortable but on its last legs, want something that will feel exactly the same. Which will be a best match? TO NXG or one.8?

Also, is the NXG lighter than the one.8?