Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
hkfury

Marsblade roller chassis

On 4/10/2020 at 4:43 PM, the_game said:

Hey Per @Marsblade I think I'm going to grab just the chassis option, at the price its a steal.

Just curious before I pull the trigger, could you provide some info on how the upper part of the chassis connects to the bottom? And how you would change the rocker?

They are connected by a bushing that holds the two parts together and also gives you the spring back. The insert radius that changes the rocker is connected to the upper part. You just remove the lower part (with one bolt) and than you attach the insert with a snap fit. Easy 🙂

On 4/9/2020 at 7:49 AM, labuse64 said:

Hello. Does anyone know about the weight of the R1 ? Because that was a big issue for me. If they are lighter it would be perfect.

R1 is slightly lighter than O1 but heavier than a traditional Roller Hockey chassis. Despite that we feel very confident about the weight. During the test period for the past months with around 15 high level players that have used them regularly in training and games, no one have negatively comment or complain about the weight. Its also important to notice that O1 has a lot of movement in both directions to always challenge your balance and force you to work hard at all times. This make them feel more heavy than they actually are. With R1 its the opposite, you can do more of your natural movements without lifting up the skates from the ground than with traditional chassis, making them feel lighter. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PetterErlandsson said:

R1 is slightly lighter than O1 but heavier than a traditional Roller Hockey chassis. Despite that we feel very confident about the weight. During the test period for the past months with around 15 high level players that have used them regularly in training and games, no one have negatively comment or complain about the weight. Its also important to notice that O1 has a lot of movement in both directions to always challenge your balance and force you to work hard at all times. This make them feel more heavy than they actually are. With R1 its the opposite, you can do more of your natural movements without lifting up the skates from the ground than with traditional chassis, making them feel lighter. 

Thanks for the answer. Can't wait to test them 😊

• Like 1

I placed an order during the first round of the presale. Is there any way to track the status of the order, like to see if the expected date changes? Or will you guys send out emails with updates for any delays? Maybe I’m just missing it online. I know it’s still pretty far out, so just wasn’t sure how to check when it gets closer without bugging anyone for updates. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 6:52 AM, gsr027 said:

I placed an order during the first round of the presale. Is there any way to track the status of the order, like to see if the expected date changes? Or will you guys send out emails with updates for any delays? Maybe I’m just missing it online. I know it’s still pretty far out, so just wasn’t sure how to check when it gets closer without bugging anyone for updates. Thanks!

Not at the moment, but you will be updated when we know more about exact delivery. Unexpected delays will of course be announced, but given the precarious situation in the world, we have tried to take potential delays into account when estimating the delivery date. So of course we hope to be able to deliver faster rather than having delays.

/Petter, Developing Engineer at Marsblade 

• Like 2

Question:  O1 Sizing

Reference: I'm in a 7.5ee skate with 272 holder.   Seems I am in the middle of M/L.  I'd prefer to be on 280. 

-Should I size up or down?

-Pros/cons. 

Thanks in advance.

Howdy,

So, Marsblades...  I guess specifically the original O1's...

Everything seems to say that they "feel like ice skates."  I'm trying to understand that a bit.

I've never played roller hockey.  I do have a pair of inlines, but they're super cheap Vapors that don't fit that great.  They use a hilo chassis setup with 76 fronts and 80 backs.  When I skated with them, it felt like my feet were on skis or something.  Unless my foot was in the air, I couldn't rotate/turn my foot at all.

I got some extra 72mm wheels and put them on to rocker the "contact patch" a bit and that helped some.  It felt a little more like skating on ice, where if your weight is over the balls of your feet, you can rotate your foot essentially without resistance.  But still not great.  Then I tried the extra 76 front in the back position, so that my wheels (front to back) were 72, 76, 80, 76.  That felt the most like being on ice.  But I noticed I didn't have much 'rear stability'.  It frequently felt like I was going to fall backwards if I didn't concentrate on keeping my weight on the balls of my feet.

Which all brings me to my question about Marsblades... It seems like the point of the system is to let your foot rock back and forth longitudinally on top of the chassis...  But all four wheels are pressing down into the skating surface equally still, right?  So does your foot still feel locked in one direction when there's weight on it?

I guess I'm wondering if the feel is different enough to what I have with my "regular' inline skates to be way more like ice skating.  With all the rinks shut down and my guess that they're either not coming back soon or that I won't be willing to be in them if there are two teams worth of people in there, I'm considering getting a little more serious about using inlines for off ice stuff.  Most of the reviews I see are from people that already do a lot of roller hockey.  I'm curious about the perspectives on this stuff from folks that have never really skated inline very much.

Mark

15 hours ago, fbvnyc said:

Question:  O1 Sizing

Reference: I'm in a 7.5ee skate with 272 holder.   Seems I am in the middle of M/L.  I'd prefer to be on 280. 

-Should I size up or down?

-Pros/cons. 

Thanks in advance.

Your boot will fit well with any of Medium or Large, so it is primarily a matter of personal preference. The Medium size weighs less, the Large size has larger wheels which is good for speed. 

/Petter, Developing Engineer at Marsblade 

Edited by PetterErlandsson

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Everything seems to say that they "feel like ice skates."  I'm trying to understand that a bit.

I've never played roller hockey.  I do have a pair of inlines, but they're super cheap Vapors that don't fit that great.  They use a hilo chassis setup with 76 fronts and 80 backs.  When I skated with them, it felt like my feet were on skis or something.  Unless my foot was in the air, I couldn't rotate/turn my foot at all.

I got some extra 72mm wheels and put them on to rocker the "contact patch" a bit and that helped some.  It felt a little more like skating on ice, where if your weight is over the balls of your feet, you can rotate your foot essentially without resistance.  But still not great.  Then I tried the extra 76 front in the back position, so that my wheels (front to back) were 72, 76, 80, 76.  That felt the most like being on ice.  But I noticed I didn't have much 'rear stability'.  It frequently felt like I was going to fall backwards if I didn't concentrate on keeping my weight on the balls of my feet.

Which all brings me to my question about Marsblades... It seems like the point of the system is to let your foot rock back and forth longitudinally on top of the chassis...  But all four wheels are pressing down into the skating surface equally still, right?  So does your foot still feel locked in one direction when there's weight on it?

I guess I'm wondering if the feel is different enough to what I have with my "regular' inline skates to be way more like ice skating.  With all the rinks shut down and my guess that they're either not coming back soon or that I won't be willing to be in them if there are two teams worth of people in there, I'm considering getting a little more serious about using inlines for off ice stuff.  Most of the reviews I see are from people that already do a lot of roller hockey.  I'm curious about the perspectives on this stuff from folks that have never really skated inline very much.

Mark

Mark this is a great question. I also only had a ice hockey background outside of a short stint in a roller hockey league in the late 90s  during Junior hockey off season. What I didn’t like about using the inlines for hockey was exactly what you described, feeling like I was on skis. Over time I got use to it but when I returned for training camp for my junior team the transition back to being on a contoured blade took some adjustment and I never used inlines again. 

In early 2017 I received the marsblade chassis for a pair of old boots I had. The first time I used them was amazing, I felt like I was on ice. Everything was much more fluid. I was able to get the full extension on my strides and even though all the wheels are making contact with the ground I had the feel of being on a contoured ice blade. I do use the smaller wheel in front because I like the added difficulty. 

I immediately ordered two more chassis kits for my sons, both now teens. My boys are both ice players first and they have been on their Marsblades nearly everyday and have no problems transitioning to ice. Both boys use the O1s for competitive roller hockey also. We have 6 pairs.

You really have to skate in the Marsblade to fully understand the feel. You won’t regret it and you won’t go back to traditional inlines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

I would claim that different wheel setups is barely comparable to the Flow Motion Technology that Marsblade uses. Flow Motion Technology is completely stepless while for example a 72, 76, 80, 76 wheel setups is based on jumping between three steps and always balancing on maximum two wheels at the time. I think this short film visualize it in a good way:

When it comes to the feel of being locked in one direction you will notice a big difference with Flow Motion Technology. When you, for example, put the weight on the heel in a tight turn you will notice that the turning radius can be significantly reduced. However, of course, inlines have some limitation as they have another grip with the surface than a steel has with the ice.

/Petter, Product Developing Engineer at Marsblade?

Edited by PetterErlandsson
  • Like 3

Howdy,

So... For the Marsblade O1 + boot combo...

What's the sizing of the boot like?

I wear a 7.5 D Mako for ice.  The volume and forefoot width are both arguable too small, but the combination of the heat moldability plus the metatarsal guard spreading out the lace load I think makes them work.  But they do work and I have no issues being in them for say five hours at a go when I ref.  I don't brush the endcaps with my toes, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton of room in there either.

The Bauer scanner thinks I should be in a 7.5EE Supreme.

I've got an older pair of 8D Ribcores that I could convert, but I'm thinking of just getting the boot / holder combo, particularly at the $280 price vs. $200 for the holder itself.  The Ribcores also feel a little sloppy compared to the Makos, so its not like they're at all perfect either.

edit:  Standing on a ruler, my right foot seems to be ~26.8cm and left is ~26.5cm

Mark

Edited by marka

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

So... For the Marsblade O1 + boot combo...

What's the sizing of the boot like?

I wear a 7.5 D Mako for ice.  The volume and forefoot width are both arguable too small, but the combination of the heat moldability plus the metatarsal guard spreading out the lace load I think makes them work.  But they do work and I have no issues being in them for say five hours at a go when I ref.  I don't brush the endcaps with my toes, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton of room in there either.

The Bauer scanner thinks I should be in a 7.5EE Supreme.

I've got an older pair of 8D Ribcores that I could convert, but I'm thinking of just getting the boot / holder combo, particularly at the $280 price vs. $200 for the holder itself.  The Ribcores also feel a little sloppy compared to the Makos, so its not like they're at all perfect either.

edit:  Standing on a ruler, my right foot seems to be ~26.8cm and left is ~26.5cm

Mark

One thing to note is they don't make wide boots, so you'd have to use their regular width option.  I am just getting this from the website so correct me if I am wrong.  I wear a wide True skate and my rollers are a 10.5E RBK, so my only option is a conversion.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:25 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

I can also attest to the "ice-like" feeling when using the O1s. I've been using them to play full time for about 2 years and its been a blast! Because of my long-term experience with them, there was no hesitation with the R1 pre-order. As someone who spends a lot more time on ice, the transition from ice to inline (and vice versa) has always been seamless. I don't find myself having to readjust my stride like I have in the past with normal inline chassises. 

Howdy,

20 hours ago, BureKovy said:

One thing to note is they don't make wide boots, so you'd have to use their regular width option.  I am just getting this from the website so correct me if I am wrong.  I wear a wide True skate and my rollers are a 10.5E RBK, so my only option is a conversion.

Right, but "wide" differs in meaning between boot models even within the same manufacturer.  I'm hoping to get some idea what these particular boots are like.

I can't even figure out if they're heat moldable, from the website?  Given the cost, even at full retail, I've got to expect that these aren't anything too advanced but ??

Mark

Anyone know anything about the Alkali boots that are included on the full skate options? Heat moldable? Sizing vs Vapors/Supremes/tacks or CCM models? Stiffness? Etc. I got the R1 on preorder but play ice only. These would be for training and fun skating around town. Wondering if I should switch to the O1 with boot instead of finding my own. 
also, what’s folks experience using an ice boot outdoors? Does it matter? Is it hot? Fit different in warm weather & flip flop season?

27 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Anyone know anything about the Alkali boots that are included on the full skate options? Heat moldable? Sizing vs Vapors/Supremes/tacks or CCM models? Stiffness? Etc. I got the R1 on preorder but play ice only. These would be for training and fun skating around town. Wondering if I should switch to the O1 with boot instead of finding my own. 
also, what’s folks experience using an ice boot outdoors? Does it matter? Is it hot? Fit different in warm weather & flip flop season?

I don’t know anything about the Alkali boots but it looks like the R1 uses the Revel 1 boot and the O1 uses the Revel 2. There are review videos on the Revel line on YouTube.

We ordered the R1 chassis at $99 for my sons to try for their roller games, they have been using the original without problem. I will probably stay on the O1. I have only used ice boots outdoors (southern California) and I’ve never had a issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

I use converted ice boots and they work just fine. There are a few models of inlines like the Mission Inhalers that have a bit more ventilation (and the custom True skates have a ventilated toe cap), but most inline skates don't have extra ventilation. Some inline skates have extra wear patches near the forefoot which can be helpful for durability outdoors, but a well fitting pair of ice skates converted with the chassis should work well for most people.

The specs for the Revel 1 and Revel 2 are on Inlinewarehouse. Just focus on the boot specs and ignore the wheels, bearings and frame info:

Revel 1: https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Alkali_Revel_1/descpage-R1RS20.html

• Heritage: New
  • Level of Play Guideline: Elite
  • Skate Fit Guidelines: Medium Volume / standard heel pocket - standard forefoot - mid instep 
  • Quarter Package:
    • Heatmoldable Revel IX with Pro Plus Stiffness 
    • Comfort Collar
  • Liner:
    • Moisture-wicking Clarino 
  • Tongue Construction:
    • Two-Piece 9mm Pro Felt
  • Outsole:
    • Stiff Carbon Fiber

Revel 2: https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Alkali_Revel_2/descpage-R2RS20.html

• Heritage: New
  • Level of Play Guideline: Elite
  • Skate Fit Guidelines: Medium Volume/medium heel pocket - standard forefoot - standard instep 
  • Quarter Package:
    • PU with Revel IX Technology
      • Elite-level stiffness and responsiveness for higher-end hockey
      • IX Tech provides a more anatomical, performance-focused fit with the new injection construction process
      • Flexible tendon guard, forward boot rake (or lean) and toe spring all help promote the ideal roller hockey stride 
      • Heat moldable for a custom fit and reduced break-in time
      • Comfort Edge collar padding to alleviate ankle irritation
  • Liner:
    • Brushed Tricot for comfort, moisture-management and durability 
  • Tongue Construction:
    • Two-piece, Vented Pro Felt
      • Thick design protects the top of the foot from impacts and lace-bite
      • Ventilated center to promote consistent airflow
  • Outsole:
    • Stiff TPR Plastic with Composite Overlay
      • Delivers a perfect balance of lateral support and forgiveness 

They also have a sizing chart. With previous Alkali lines, most people felt they fit a half size up from Bauer skates (meaning someone who fits and 8 Bauer would take an 8.5 Alkali), but I don't know if anything has changed with the new line.

Alkali General Sizing Guidelines:
Alkali Skates generally fit 1.5 sizes down from your regular shoe size

SENIOR ALKALI SKATE SIZING CHART
Alkali Size Length in CM US Men's Shoe US Women's Shoe
6.0 25.1 7.5 9.0
6.5 25.5 8.0 9.5
7.0 26.0 8.5 10.0
7.5 26.4 9.0 10.5
8.0 26.8 9.5 11.0
8.5 27.2 10.0 11.5
9.0 27.7 10.5 12.0
9.5 28.1 11.0 12.5
10.0 28.5 11.5 13.0
10.5 28.9 12.0 13.5
11.0 29.4 12.5 14.0
11.5 29.8 13.0 14.5
12.0 30.2 13.5 15.0
12.5 30.6 14.0 15.5
13.0 31.0 14.5 16.0

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

Howdy,

I ordered the O1+boot in 7.5.  Now I guess I get to wait until July to see if I guessed right between that and the 8.0.  🙂

Mark

• Like 1

16 hours ago, raganblink said:

Does anyone know where I can buy some O1s? Trying to find for a VIP customer and cannot find any. Size large. Thanks!

If you don´t have any retailer near by you can always order from marsblade.com 

@Marsblade @PetterErlandsson

I ordered the O1 medium chassis to mount to my size 8.25d 1X skates.  I misunderstood the wheel sizing on the marsblade O1 page and separately ordered 8 x 76mm outdoor wheels (as I'll primarily be skating outdoors on asphalt).

However I recently learned that the medium chassis is meant to use 72mm sized wheels.  So I then went ahead and ordered 8 x 72mm outdoor wheels as well.

THEN, I spoke to a pro inline player who told me he uses 76mm wheels with his O1 medium chassis (has a size 8d skate)

So it's safe to say I'm a tad confused and want to know what would be the optimal selection of wheel size for me to use.

I also realize that I probably should have ordered a large O1 instead of a medium.  How much of a difference will medium chassis be with size 8.25 skates compared to large: is it a large enough difference that it would be worth going through the hassle of trying to exchange for a large chassis?

Edited by primo

@Marsblade

I just received my 01s, thank you. That was a great decision to send them out in generic packaging instead of waiting for the custom packaging. 

Question: The boots I was planning on using with them have perfectly flat bottoms that don't match the contoured angle of the base plates. What should be used to take up that space so that they fit flush to the boot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:58 AM, YesLanges said:

@Marsblade

I just received my 01s, thank you. That was a great decision to send them out in generic packaging instead of waiting for the custom packaging. 

Question: The boots I was planning on using with them have perfectly flat bottoms that don't match the contoured angle of the base plates. What should be used to take up that space so that they fit flush to the boot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Good to hear! For most boots this is not an issue so I'm afraid we don't have a solution from our end.  Experienced pro shops or equipment managers use various kinds of shims to take up the space if needed. 

//Per

Thanks, Per. I just found this new pair of Bauer (ice) MS-1s for $65 on eBay to have my MBs installed on them. The boots look identical to the Bauer RS (inlines) that I got a few weeks ago, except with an upgraded tongue. The Alkali 2s are going right back to Hockey Monkey because they're way too much skate for me; they felt totally foreign on my feet and are so stiff they seem like they'd take forever to break in even after baking. The Bauer RS felt just like my 22-year-old "Breakout 50s" as soon as I put them on. I'm still amazed at how stiff even low-level modern boots are. They seem to have the typical contoured bottoms that will fit the MB chasis.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bauer-Ns-Senior-Ice-Hockey-Skate-1056254-SZ-9-0/193394982832?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649