Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
hkfury

Marsblade roller chassis

10 hours ago, Marsblade said:

@YesLanges I'd say a quarter or half of a full rotation of the bolt should be something you can notice in feel. So 90 or 180 degrees that is. //Per

So if the bolt is tightened all the way, only loosen in 180*? That’s it? 

On 6/8/2020 at 8:49 PM, Westside said:

So if the bolt is tightened all the way, only loosen in 180*? That’s it? 

Hi!

There's no stop on tightening the bolt on the O1 right now, so there's no definition of "all the way". I'm just suggesting if you adjust it with 90 / 180 degrees at a time that should be enough to feel the change in resistance. //Per

5 hours ago, Kyosuke said:

Does anyone know whether the large O1 chassis can accommodate 80mm wheels? I'm thinking of doing a 76/80/80/76 setup

I don’t know if the 80s will fit, I’ve never tried on mine. I don’t know if going with that set up will benefit you. The idea behind the flow motion is to maintain contact of all wheels while allowing the “rocker” of the boot. 

On 6/7/2020 at 11:47 PM, Marsblade said:

If you can feel the chassis clunk you have the center bolt too loose, try tightening it a bit. Yes, well aware that this is not ideal. We'll look at a dial marking for the 2.0. //Per Mars, inventor

There are plans for a 2.0 version of O1, if so is there a date?

I'd like a more in depth explanation of the flow motion tech in the r1 compared to o1. In layman's terms obviously. I get the basic idea, but I'd like to understand what you mean by "optimized for game play." Sounds nice, but what exactly is different and what exactly is used to determine optimized? 

Also, I'm assuming these take floating spacers?

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:38 PM, Kyosuke said:

Does anyone know whether the large O1 chassis can accommodate 80mm wheels? I'm thinking of doing a 76/80/80/76 setup

It looks like it would be a very tight fit. There's barely 4-5 mm of space in between the middle two 76 mm wheels. Maybe less than that.

On 6/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, Miller55 said:

I'd like a more in depth explanation of the flow motion tech in the r1 compared to o1. In layman's terms obviously. I get the basic idea, but I'd like to understand what you mean by "optimized for game play." Sounds nice, but what exactly is different and what exactly is used to determine optimized? 

I think they're talking about the fact that the 01 can only be adjusted for how much movement you want the center bolt to allow, while the R1 can also be adjusted for where you want the axis of movement to be and/or set independent degrees of movement for the front and back. They come with fixed spacers but standard bearings, so I'm sure you could use floaters.

My question for @Marsblade is why the fixed axis 01 feels more like ice and why adjusting the R1 movement to suit your skating style makes the R1 feel less like ice, because adjusting the movement seems like the same thing as profiling steel runners to suit your skating style on ice. Why wouldn't the R1 just feel like skating on ice on a custom-profiled blade?

So far, they feel really good...extremely smooth and already much better and less cumbersome than traditional chases even with the bolt fully tightened. (I'm using some ABEC 11 bearings instead of the ABEC 9 they come with, but that probably doesn't make much of a difference.)  It's definitely much more like skating on ice and wheels no longer feel like I'm on skis and my skates no longer fight against some of what my feet are trying to do. But I wouldn't say that they "force" me to do anything different (which is the way MB refers to it); it's much more like they just allow me to skate much more like I normally skate. My quads do get more involved, but I don't notice it until I'm done and they feel sort of like I just did a light leg workout.   

Maybe when I open it more, I'll understand what MB means when they say the 01 force you into better skating mechanics. I've only opened the bolt about 1 full turn so far, maybe a little less...I only open it about 60 degrees after each time I skate. Whenever I first get back on them after opening the bolt a little more, it feels like my weight is too far back on my heels for a few seconds until I get used to it. The reviews I've watched suggest the exact opposite: that they put you more on your toes and that new users feel like they're going to face-plant. 

Another question for @Marsblade is you've said (here and in promos) that the smaller front wheel provides more of a challenge. Could you explain what you mean by that and what's different about skating on the advanced set-up? I'm not planning on trying it until I'm comfortable with the loosest bolt setting, but I'm curious how you'd characterize the difference made by the smaller front wheel. 

Edited by YesLanges

About to pull the trigger on a set of R1. I've got a pair of Mission skates right now that I like, but am wondering if the rivet pattern will be different enough as to be OK to use with the R1. 

Also, let's say I don't like the R1, would there be any issue with going back to my old chassis? Not sure if the boot will be too swiss cheese at that point.

Howdy,

Is there a way to check on the status of an order via Marsblade's site or whatever?

I pre-ordered the 01+boot package back on May 1st.  I was just curious if there was a way to get an update as to expected ship date.  IIRC when I ordered it said July but ??

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Is there a way to check on the status of an order via Marsblade's site or whatever?

I pre-ordered the 01+boot package back on May 1st.  I was just curious if there was a way to get an update as to expected ship date.  IIRC when I ordered it said July but ??

Mark

On the site, it estimated delivery Aug 2020

On 6/18/2020 at 7:36 AM, YesLanges said:

My question for @Marsblade is why the fixed axis 01 feels more like ice and why adjusting the R1 movement to suit your skating style makes the R1 feel less like ice, because adjusting the movement seems like the same thing as profiling steel runners to suit your skating style on ice. Why wouldn't the R1 just feel like skating on ice on a custom-profiled blade?

So far, they feel really good...extremely smooth and already much better and less cumbersome than traditional chases even with the bolt fully tightened. (I'm using some ABEC 11 bearings instead of the ABEC 9 they come with, but that probably doesn't make much of a difference.)  It's definitely much more like skating on ice and wheels no longer feel like I'm on skis and my skates no longer fight against some of what my feet are trying to do. But I wouldn't say that they "force" me to do anything different (which is the way MB refers to it); it's much more like they just allow me to skate much more like I normally skate. My quads do get more involved, but I don't notice it until I'm done and they feel sort of like I just did a light leg workout.   

Maybe when I open it more, I'll understand what MB means when they say the 01 force you into better skating mechanics. I've only opened the bolt about 1 full turn so far, maybe a little less...I only open it about 60 degrees after each time I skate. Whenever I first get back on them after opening the bolt a little more, it feels like my weight is too far back on my heels for a few seconds until I get used to it. The reviews I've watched suggest the exact opposite: that they put you more on your toes and that new users feel like they're going to face-plant. 

Another question for @Marsblade is you've said (here and in promos) that the smaller front wheel provides more of a challenge. Could you explain what you mean by that and what's different about skating on the advanced set-up? I'm not planning on trying it until I'm comfortable with the loosest bolt setting, but I'm curious how you'd characterize the difference made by the smaller front wheel. 

Short answer on your first question is that O1 was not made for performance, which means we can have a smaller radius than what is optimal for maximum performance. And a smaller radius means more movement and in the end a more ice-like skate feel. What we found out during the development of the R1 was that optimal for maximum performance is to still have a significant amount of movement, but not as much as in O1. We also found out that two different players can have very different preferences for what settings they prefer, even if they are both top elite players, why we decided to make it customizeable. 

I mainly leave the advance wheel-setup question for Per, but what i can say is that it put higher demands on the player's balance and gives an even more ice-like feel. Waiting until you feel comfortable with the standard wheel setup sounds sensible, but beyond that, we definitely recommend testing it!

/Petter, Product developer at Marsblade

On 6/13/2020 at 8:38 PM, Kyosuke said:

No, 76 is the biggest possible wheel size on large. And I would personally suggest that testing with a looser centre bolt, or testing with advanced wheel setup, is better ways to go to get more imbalance.

Edited by PetterErlandsson

On 6/15/2020 at 3:18 AM, JSchultz said:

Are there any more videos of the r1 chassis out there? I've only seen John Schiavo and Itan Chavera do short informal ones so far. 

Its definitely coming, biggest problem is that the Covid-19 made it hard for the test players to get their skates mounted and to get access to rinks. 

Here is a few though: 

More is comming! 

On 6/15/2020 at 5:06 AM, Miller55 said:

When we speak about something is optimized we mean that we have started with a wide range of settings, tested it over and over again, ourself and with our test players, before we narrowing it down and iterate it until we reach the best possible results for what we want to achieve. That is: as ice-like feeling as possible when we developed O1, and maximum performance in roller hockey when we developed R1. We work a lot with 3D printers and can then adjust the settings down one tenth of a millimeter at a time between the tests.

Parameters we work with are mainly:

• size of the radius in the toe and in the heel,
  • what angle the chassis should have in the starting position,
  • where the balance point should be,
  • how hard the spring should be,
  • how much pre-tension the spring should have,

and so on.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:50 AM, JSchultz said:

About to pull the trigger on a set of R1. I've got a pair of Mission skates right now that I like, but am wondering if the rivet pattern will be different enough as to be OK to use with the R1. 

Also, let's say I don't like the R1, would there be any issue with going back to my old chassis? Not sure if the boot will be too swiss cheese at that point.

Its not the same hole pattern as Mission, new holes need to be drilled, but having two sets of holes in the boot is normally not a problem at all. Technically it is no problem to take of the R1s and mount back your old chassis again. BUT if you once get used to Flow Motion, going back to your old chassis will feel like putting on a pair of alpine boot 😏

On 6/24/2020 at 3:10 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Not before the package is sent and we can provide a tracking number. For pre-orders there is still uncertain times because of the Covid-19 situation, but so far everything looks good and we are on schedule. For more detailed questions about an order you can contact the customer service of Marsblade, store@marsblade.com.

@PetterErlandsson Thanks for the detailed responses. I actually pre-ordered a set shortly after I posted my initial messages. Really hoping that the medium frames stay on schedule for August. Even then, hopefully earlier August than later!

7 hours ago, PetterErlandsson said:

What we found out during the development of the R1 was that optimal for maximum performance is to still have a significant amount of movement, but not as much as in O1.

Thank you for all the additional answers. Since the R1 requires an insert to change the rocker motion vs the center bolt on the O1, is there a reason an insert that provides maximum mobility can’t be created? IIRC from one of the other posts, the H5 insert is most like ice. Based on the chart on your site, that insert allows maximum heel movement and more toe movement than any other insert. Could another insert be made to have maximum heel movement AND maximum toe movement which would essentially match the movement of the O1? Conversely, I think it would be interesting to also have an insert that would eliminate almost all movement. Obviously not the purpose of the product, but there are times when movement is not desired and rather than having to throw on another pair of skates, you could simply change the insert. 

On 6/26/2020 at 9:38 PM, Westside said:

Thank you for all the additional answers. Since the R1 requires an insert to change the rocker motion vs the center bolt on the O1, is there a reason an insert that provides maximum mobility can’t be created? IIRC from one of the other posts, the H5 insert is most like ice. Based on the chart on your site, that insert allows maximum heel movement and more toe movement than any other insert. Could another insert be made to have maximum heel movement AND maximum toe movement which would essentially match the movement of the O1? Conversely, I think it would be interesting to also have an insert that would eliminate almost all movement. Obviously not the purpose of the product, but there are times when movement is not desired and rather than having to throw on another pair of skates, you could simply change the insert. 

You are absolutely right. We have so far produced a series of four different settings that we think match each other and cover a good range of different players' preferences, but this is of course only a minor part of what variations can be made. And in addition to different radii, you can also change things such as balance point, starting position, adding stops, use non-symmetric curves, and so on. What ultimately determines which settings we make is what you players demand. Further on we have a vision to have a whole library of different settings. Another idea is to release open source 3D-files for creative players with some knowledge in 3D modelling to create their own insert settings, for themselves or for sharing with the roller hockey world.

To answer your questions: with the current construction of R1 it is no problem to make a 5-5 or higher, but technically a little more challenging to go lower than 5-5 and reach O1 movement. But it can definitely be done, and we will work on it if we see a big demand for it. Making an insert with no, or very little movement is technically no problem at all. 

How big of a difference is there size wise between the mediums and large frames? 

would a medium frame work on a size 45D BAUER boot? Or would the size difference be detrimental 

38 minutes ago, Mattzky said:

How big of a difference is there size wise between the mediums and large frames? 

would a medium frame work on a size 45D BAUER boot? Or would the size difference be detrimental 

If you are talking the O1, the medium is about 26cm in length and will be too small for a Bauer boot that size. I have all three sizes of the O1 and the large fits perfectly starting on a size 8 Bauer boot which is about a 43D.