Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
hkfury

Marsblade roller chassis

17 hours ago, busdriver said:

Actually. the R1s have the bolt and bushing also and the inserts seem to limit the amount of rock in the front or back.  

this video shows loosening the bolt and separating the lower and upper parts of the frame. https://m.facebook.com/groups/2743257915802367?view=permalink&id=2974659689328854

Huh. Can the R1 be used without an insert? If so, what’s the impact? I didn’t even think about the bolt so now you can change the insert AND adjust the bolt tension for more/less rocker?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westside said:

Huh. Can the R1 be used without an insert? If so, what’s the impact? I didn’t even think about the bolt so now you can change the insert AND adjust the bolt tension for more/less rocker?

Not sure about the function of the bolt in the R1, but obviously it has to have a bolt to keep the lower attached to the upper part of the frame. 

On 8/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, Westside said:

No, one of the inserts needs to be mounted to keep the right distance between the upper and lower chassis. If one is not mounted it will created damage to the chassis. On the R1 the bolt is intended to be tightened all the way until there's a stop. So the rocker movement is decided with what insert you're using rather than how tight the bolt is. //Per, Inventor

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thank you for the confirmation.

One other question I have now that the R1 is getting in the hands of more people and they’re posting photos... Did I miss an option to get the two-tone blue/silver combination? Or were those early prototypes vs the all blue at the bottom?
2v2HmKF6qx1YqB.jpg

Edited by Westside

On 8/24/2020 at 11:08 PM, Westside said:

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thank you for the confirmation.

One other question I have now that the R1 is getting in the hands of more people and they’re posting photos... Did I miss an option to get the two-tone blue/silver combination? Or were those early prototypes vs the all blue at the bottom?

The blue silver combo was just prototypes. //Per

• Thanks 1

Just had mine mounted and went for a skate at my outdoor rink. Was I supposed to do anything with the inserts before they were mounted to the skates? Was the shop supposed to do anything specific?

coming from hi lo, I was expecting to feel like a drunk baby giraffe my first time out and I’m not feeling a dramatic change. Just want to rule out user error. I’m on the “most ice like feel” Insert that they shipped with too. 

18 hours ago, JSchultz said:

Just had mine mounted and went for a skate at my outdoor rink. Was I supposed to do anything with the inserts before they were mounted to the skates? Was the shop supposed to do anything specific?

coming from hi lo, I was expecting to feel like a drunk baby giraffe my first time out and I’m not feeling a dramatic change. Just want to rule out user error. I’m on the “most ice like feel” Insert that they shipped with too. 

Interesting, I’ll be skating on mine the first time tomorrow and felt like the baby giraffe would be an issue. Sounds like maybe not.

On 9/6/2020 at 12:27 AM, JSchultz said:

No the shop did not need to do anything. The R1 chassis is a performance chassis vs the training O1 chassis. The R1 chassis has more support (larger front radius) vs the O1 chassis and therefore will give you more stability and support when pushing off. This is why there's less of a dramatic change vs a rigid chassis. The O1 chassis has a 4ft single radius. The radius with the most amount of movement on the R1 has 5ft (heel) - 8ft (toe). So the toe has a twice as large radius on the R1 vs O1, which is very significant. //Per, Inventor

21 hours ago, greasy17 said:

Just finished mounting on one skate, time to do the other. Looks pretty slick!

5a71cff5-39c4-40c8-80c9-79bcc93bd0ed-jpe

39afdb43-5874-45f9-b38d-ef96f36bb3cd-jpe

3f4dff52-9a4e-46c1-9fb7-af4c27bcac7a-jpe

Washers or lock washers? Neither are needed. Regular washers that are smaller than the diameter of the head of the crew would serve no purpose here, and blue Loc-tite would be preferable to lock washers. Looks great though!

Edited by Larry54

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

Washers or lock washers? Neither are needed. Regular washers that are smaller than the diameter of the head of the crew would serve no purpose here, and blue Loc-tite would be preferable to lock washers. Looks great though!

Thanks dude! Your post lead me to do some quick research and it looks like you are correct. I’ve always used them just in case, but I’ve now removed them and use Blue Loctite in its place. Still need my new foot beds and bearing, but the look is complete. I’ll be skating in doors with them for the first time tonight. The little time I spent outside the skates felt great.

7c5b9074-c4b4-4f5d-ad34-f7848054b592-jpe

• Like 2

Sweet looking setup!

1 hour ago, greasy17 said:

Still need my new foot beds and bearing, but the look is complete. I’ll be skating in doors with them for the first time tonight. The little time I spent outside the skates felt great.

But an insert could be made to create a single radius? Like say 5ft heel and toe? It seems (on here at least) you have a number of individuals that already own the O1 and are buying the R1. If there was an insert to make the R1 feel more like the O1, some people (myself included) could get rid of multiple pairs of skates and simply swap inserts when they want/need a different rocker feeling. I'd love to have a single pair of skates that I could use for off-ice training then simply pop in a different insert if I wanted a different feeling for game play or casual skating 

10 hours ago, Marsblade said:

The O1 chassis has a 4ft single radius. The radius with the most amount of movement on the R1 has 5ft (heel) - 8ft (toe). So the toe has a twice as large radius on the R1 vs O1, which is very significant

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, greasy17 said:

Thanks dude! Your post lead me to do some quick research and it looks like you are correct. I’ve always used them just in case, but I’ve now removed them and use Blue Loctite in its place. Still need my new foot beds and bearing, but the look is complete. I’ll be skating in doors with them for the first time tonight. The little time I spent outside the skates felt great.

Have you used the Pure X +2's yet? I currently have the Pure +2's on my OG O1's and would consider the Pure X upgrade once I get my R1's mounted on a new pair of skates. Regardless, I'm digging the setup!

So i just played my first two games with the chassis, and definitely spoke too soon about feel. When I was just putzing around at the outdoor rink or going for a rip in the neighborhood, I was obviously skating pretty lazily. With in game situations where you're making quick pivots and cutting hard, I felt like these really shine. Not going to lie, I definitely fell a couple of times trying to test the limits of what I could do. 

So far, my observations are that you definitely are maximizing contact of the wheels on the floor. I think in one of the promo videos John Schiavo said he could feel the floor pushing away from the wheels, which is true - which leads to the next point - stopping is maximized and much more instantaneous. This could also be my mechanics being adjusted as more wheel is compressed against the surface. 

Otherwise, I felt like transitions were smoother as well. I play D, so I am constantly doing forward to backward transitions trying to close the gap, and I felt like I could shift my weight a little more naturally. 

Overall, my first impression after 2 games of hard skating are extremely positive. I'm glad I got them and waited so long for the pre-sale period - they are worth it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Have you used the Pure X +2's yet? I currently have the Pure +2's on my OG O1's and would consider the Pure X upgrade once I get my R1's mounted on a new pair of skates. Regardless, I'm digging the setup!

Appreciate it bud! 

I loved the OG Pure +2’s, was using them ever since they came out. I just skated on the PureX +2’s tonight and felt the wheel is great. The speed is on point and grip is awesome. Hard to say if there is an improvement over the OG Pure’s because I’m on completely different skates. Best wheels out there in my opinion, Labeda is GARBAGE.

Now onto the R1 impressions. Just for reference I am coming from Bauer Supremes with a Redstar Hi-Lo Chassis (72-72-80-80). The R1 is taller than the Redstar and the contour of the chassis fits the natural contour of the boot. Now onto the feel.....

The R1 is an amazing piece!!!! I used the H8T8 insert. They are SUPER smooth, that is probably the best way to sum it up. Transitions from front to back are seamless and my stride is very natural. On my old skates I felt take offs could be clunky and choppy, not the case with these. Take offs with the R1 is very controlled, silky smooth and you build speed very quick. I’m a decently fast skater and guys I was playing with noticed an improvement in my speed. I noticed a boost in my speed and there was less fatigue in my legs. I felt like my stride was longer and power transferred better. Turns were much tighter and controlled, loved it. I felt my side to side agility was off and a little clunky. I can probably attribute that to the larger front wheels and new boots, but also maybe the movement in the chassis not allowing my foot to completely come off the ground. I’m not worried about this as I will make the adjustment the more the new boot breaks in and I grow accustomed to the chassis. I notice no improvement in stopping, yet no decline either. Could be the boot still being new.

All in all, I cannot speak highly enough about the the R1. Marsblade nailed it. I’m amped up to skate again. If you are on the fence about ordering don’t be, they rock!

• Like 3

What size are those red stars?😉

I just recently made the switch from red stars on ribcores to Sprungs on supreme, but I couldn't resist the pre order of R1s. I've held off on mounting them since I've recently had some issues with an ankle injury, and I'm trying to see how it plays out before choosing boots to mount them on, but reading these reviews is making it hard to hold off lol

• Haha 1

@greasy17 Makes the Marsblade team glad to hear how much you enjoy them! //Per and the team

@Westside We are looking at adding a smaller single radius (we already have the 8ft single radius insert option) but not sure if and when we would do that. We chose not to do that right now because a smaller front radius than the 8ft will give a higher chassis since more room in the front is needed for the rocker. Also the R1 has longer wheel base which gives more stability so that part is not ideal for off ice training.  We want to make the best products for its specific purpose so rather than making something that works decent for off ice training and roller hockey we want the R1 to be as good as it can be for roller hockey and the O1 as good as it can be for off ice training. Hope that makes sense. //Per, Inventor

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Miller55 said:

What size are those red stars?😉

I just recently made the switch from red stars on ribcores to Sprungs on supreme, but I couldn't resist the pre order of R1s. I've held off on mounting them since I've recently had some issues with an ankle injury, and I'm trying to see how it plays out before choosing boots to mount them on, but reading these reviews is making it hard to hold off lol

Size Medium, seriously one of the best chassis’s out there. It was lightweight and strong. Prior to the R1 I was always looking to scoop them up on eBay/Craigslist and they were impossible to find hahaha!

On 9/7/2020 at 9:18 AM, greasy17 said:

Where did u get those bolts. I can't find hex pattern bolts for 6/32 anywhere. Only phillips or flathead. As for t nuts. How did u get them to grab in inside of the boot. This is one reason I still want the felt lined boots. So the claws on some t nuts can grab onto that insole. 

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Where did u get those bolts. I can't find hex pattern bolts for 6/32 anywhere. Only phillips or flathead. As for t nuts. How did u get them to grab in inside of the boot. This is one reason I still want the felt lined boots. So the claws on some t nuts can grab onto that insole. 

I ordered them from Bolt Depot. I have a ton of them. I can sell you the bolts. t-nuts, and bit tip you need if you want for a pair of skates for like $10 shipped, I’ll toss in some extras just in case of the bolts and t-nuts. 

The t-nut spikes are longer than needed so I trim those down with diagonal cutters. Once I get the hole drilled, I slide the t-nut into the hole as far as it will go inside the boot, and then use the screw to draw the t-bolt down into the sole. It takes a little finesse at times and I have to keep my index finger on the t-nut inside the boot to keep it from spinning. Once it bites in you are good to tighten down. It is careful not to go too tight otherwise you strip out the head of the bolt. In my opinion this system is way superior to rivets.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, greasy17 said:

I ordered them from Bolt Depot. I have a ton of them. I can sell you the bolts. t-nuts, and bit tip you need if you want for a pair of skates for like $10 shipped, I’ll toss in some extras just in case of the bolts and t-nuts. 

The t-nut spikes are longer than needed so I trim those down with diagonal cutters. Once I get the hole drilled, I slide the t-nut into the hole as far as it will go inside the boot, and then use the screw to draw the t-bolt down into the sole. It takes a little finesse at times and I have to keep my index finger on the t-nut inside the boot to keep it from spinning. Once it bites in you are good to tighten down. It is careful not to go too tight otherwise you strip out the head of the bolt. In my opinion this system is way superior to rivets.

Thanks. I'll contact you in future if I decide to go this route. 

• Like 1

R1's arrived after a lengthy delay in customs. Got them mounted to a new pair of X800R boots. Stoked to skate on them this weekend and see how they compare to the O1's

DSCF3115-vi.jpg

I do plan on anodizing them a different color as the turquoise just isn't for me. Debating about silver or black

1599930465111-vi.jpg

Edited by Westside
  • Like 2