Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
hkfury

Marsblade roller chassis

On 11/27/2020 at 6:58 AM, Left Wing King said:

As someone who has R0s fitted, will the holes line up if I did a straight swap, or will I need to get new boots too?

I don’t have both but I believe I read somewhere that they have different hole patterns.  But, I think shops can drill new holes and mount them anyway. 

On 11/27/2020 at 5:58 AM, Left Wing King said:

As someone who has R0s fitted, will the holes line up if I did a straight swap, or will I need to get new boots too?

New boots. The holes are not the same between the O1 and the R1

Contemplating the new marsblade frame. I have the original ( all 72mm set up) and like it as a training tool. My question is with the wheel set up of the new frame and how it compares to a regular hi Lo. I absolutely hated the 80/76 set up on aluminum frames. I felt like I had clown feet. I wear a size 7 skate. I actually have a jr. frame (76/68)on my current skates to mimic a closer feel to my ice runners.  Can anyone compare the difference in the marsblade to the a rigid frame with the same wheel set up? I don’t want to play ice and fall on my face because I’m used to Having a front wheel sticking out.  

Hi @caseyjones. The R1 has 80/76 setup. If you're an ice player that prefer more of an ice feel I understand you don't like the longer wheel base. If you prefer the performance R1 over our training O1 frame it's possible that our Small R1 (72/68 wheels) frame would be more to your liking. //Per

3 hours ago, Marsblade said:

Hi @caseyjones. The R1 has 80/76 setup. If you're an ice player that prefer more of an ice feel I understand you don't like the longer wheel base. If you prefer the performance R1 over our training O1 frame it's possible that our Small R1 (72/68 wheels) frame would be more to your liking. //Per

Thanks Per! I appreciate the quick response. My hesitation with the small frame would be, a potential loss of performance due to an even smaller wheel set up than my current jr. frame.  🤦🏼‍♂️.  I guess I have some contemplating to do. 

I find it disconcerting that I’ve sent an email to the company regarding a couple issues I’ve encountered with the R1 chassis and have yet to receive a response in about a week, yet questions are answered the same day on here by the creator. 

Howdy,

5 minutes ago, jtkaczuk said:

I find it disconcerting that I’ve sent an email to the company regarding a couple issues I’ve encountered with the R1 chassis and have yet to receive a response in about a week, yet questions are answered the same day on here by the creator. 

Seems pretty likely that the creator comes here when he can / wants to / has time / whatever.  I've also seen weeks to months go by here without a post from him.

Also seems pretty likely that the company's official channels for communication aren't answered by the creator, vs. someone working off a queued "first in, first out" system.

Mark

11 hours ago, jtkaczuk said:

@jtkaczuk Sorry to hear that you haven't received reply to your e-mail to our customer service. Not sure why that is, they are up to speed and should be able to get back in no more than a day or two. Please e-mail me at per@marsblade.com and I'll take it further.

@marka I follow this thread as closely as I can and jump in when I feel it's needed or if anyone has a direct question to the extent possible. And yes, I'm not working in customer support daily, need to work on new and improving our current products 🙂 

//Per

20 hours ago, caseyjones said:

Thanks Per! I appreciate the quick response. My hesitation with the small frame would be, a potential loss of performance due to an even smaller wheel set up than my current jr. frame.  🤦🏼‍♂️.  I guess I have some contemplating to do. 

Are you sure that you have 76 in the back on your current jr frames? I haven't seen anything else than a 72/68 setup on Hi/lo jr skates. //Per 

10 hours ago, Marsblade said:

Are you sure that you have 76 in the back on your current jr frames? I haven't seen anything else than a 72/68 setup on Hi/lo jr skates. //Per 

Yea it’s a mission penetrator 76/68 hi lo frame. I’m sure it’s fairly old. I also have the old kuzak split that ran the same set up. Anyhow, I went and ordered the small frame. I will be mounting it to a size 6.5 Easton mako. It seems like it will be a better overall fit for me. Appreciate your help! 

11 hours ago, caseyjones said:

Yea it’s a mission penetrator 76/68 hi lo frame. I’m sure it’s fairly old. I also have the old kuzak split that ran the same set up. Anyhow, I went and ordered the small frame. I will be mounting it to a size 6.5 Easton mako. It seems like it will be a better overall fit for me. Appreciate your help! 

Ok sounds good!

20 minutes ago, the_game said:

Those look similar to what Schiavo was using a few summers ago if I remember correctly.

Are you saying those were a prototype? Look interesting, not sure about durability.

Honestly, I have not even gotten around to mounting the R1s yet haha. Was planning on having JR do it but the shop is closed, and I still haven't gotten boots for them either. Anybody have any updates on them? I'm still on sprungs and don't feel like I'm missing anything, so it's more about curiosity for me

They were confirmed to be a prototype. Bummer. I imagine that design would save on weight. 

Mine are still working great. I have nothing to report, even skating on them 4 times a week

21 hours ago, JSchultz said:

They were confirmed to be a prototype. Bummer. I imagine that design would save on weight. 

Mine are still working great. I have nothing to report, even skating on them 4 times a week

Nice. I have one teammate here who uses them. He went down one wheel size (ie 80-76, 76-72) on mediums and he says they are super tight turning and lighter and he doesn't miss the speed much. Our rink is fairly small though, so I can get why he'd give up the speed for quickness

So I got my marsblades today. They feel and look awesome. My issue is with the mako boot. The rubbery part that wraps the bottom of the boot with the vent holes is interfering pretty badly with the chassis being able to sit flush. Not sure what to do here. Was thinking shins but not sure how that would feel sitting up so high. IDK if I can shave down the rubber part on the boot. wjmbGXI_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

my 2nd question. Where should the chassis sit on the boot? I went with the smaller frame so it’s not 100% ideal so I’ve been eyeballing the wheel position. If I mount it more forward would that effect the rocker function of the frame?DLRKxCZ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

You can dremel out that plastic that wraps under the boot. Regarding where to place the frames, they definitely look a bit small, some prefer it that way, I am not one of them, so I can't really offer any useful advice. 

17 hours ago, caseyjones said:

my 2nd question. Where should the chassis sit on the boot? I went with the smaller frame so it’s not 100% ideal so I’ve been eyeballing the wheel position. If I mount it more forward would that effect the rocker function of the frame?

I would think you'd want the pivot point right in the middle of your foot with the Marsblades.

Coast to Coast Hockey shop has mounted a few R1's and have pictures on their instagram feed. They mounted a medium and then a small for Pavel Barber on his custom Trues that they say are approximately a size 5.5/6. The medium takes up the whole boot and the small is centered and seems to fit well in that case. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIZpSK3gQsQ

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGpuGKQgaGt

Edit: There's also a picture of the Revel 1/R1 setup mounted by Marsblade and they look to be centered as well: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGYmUo2g5kZ

Edited by althoma1

18 minutes ago, JSchultz said:

I've got a medium on my 6.5R Vapors; I've always wondered what a small would have been like. 

You'd sacrifice a bit of top end speed and stopping power, but gain some agility and they'd be lower to the ground. They'd also be slightly lighter with the smaller wheels. According to the size chart on the Marsblade site the medium is the recommended size for 6 and above, but 6.5 is close enough to the cut off that those who prefer a smaller wheel base for more agility can likely get away with a small.