Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grnmtnvt

CCM Warranty

I purchased a pair of CCM U+ CL skates and baked them at home in the oven using that heat strip they provided. I had a problem with the boot and it has a slight lean to the point where I can't skate in it and the chassis is coming off the boot. I contacted CCM and they said that it was in the warranty that I wasn't supposed to bake those skates at home and only in an skate oven. Does anyone have any experience with this or knowledge about those skates and CCMs warranty policy?

You weren't supposed to bake it at home. You needed a proper skate convection oven and in that, they had it outlined clearly. You're SOL as far as I know. Any way that you can see a remounting of the holder or a rebake to attempt to reset the boot?

You weren't supposed to bake it at home. You needed a proper skate convection oven and in that, they had it outlined clearly. You're SOL as far as I know. Any way that you can see a remounting of the holder or a rebake to attempt to reset the boot?

then icewarehouse shouldn't be able to retail skates should they?

then icewarehouse shouldn't be able to retail skates should they?

If you don't want to void the warranty you would bring them to a pro shop with a skate oven. What retailer they were purchased from dosen't matter, and if they are an online only entity dosen't mattter.

I bought a CCM Tacks stick last July as a replacement for whenever my Dynasty AX1 went down. I only play 1 maybe 2 time a week these days and the Warrior lasted me all the way up until last week.  The CCM had been sitting untouched in plastic until last week, I ended up getting 1.5 skates out of it before it snapped at what looks like it would be the fuse point of blade and shaft while I was making a pass.

I emailed my situation to CCM's warranty department and they responded that they couldn't make any promises but that I should file a claim through their regular warranty claim system and that they might make an exception.  I was denied through their claim system "Since our warranty is good for a period of 30 days from the date of purchase, it expired 10 months ago. While we can make exceptions for products that fall outside of our 30 day warranty policy we can’t go back as far as last July."

While I understand its my fault that I sat on the stick for so long before using it, I would hope that in buying a top of the line stick I'd get more then an hour and a half of playing time with it.  I feel like the issue is not really the purchase date but the stick's longevity once put into use, especially since it wasn't like it broke from a karate-chop slash or anything like that.

I've dealt with Bauer's customer service department on extended warranty issues before and have had nothing but positive experiences.  Definitely disappointed with CCM.

This is why I always use a new stick exclusively for the first 30 days even if I got it as a back up, that way if there is a defect I know it's covered. And in fairness to CCM, or any other manufacturer for that matter, how are they supposed to verify when someone starts using a stick other than just taking them at their word? I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect them to warranty a stick that was bought a year ago.

18 minutes ago, cmflynn said:

This is why I always use a new stick exclusively for the first 30 days even if I got it as a back up, that way if there is a defect I know it's covered. And in fairness to CCM, or any other manufacturer for that matter, how are they supposed to verify when someone starts using a stick other than just taking them at their word? I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect them to warranty a stick that was bought a year ago.

I realize having to take a person's word for when they started using a product is not ideal. I've worked in customer service before and was constantly forced to make a decision as to whether or not to believe a customer's word.  People will make up some crazy stories just to get free stuff, I would usually side with the customer and hope that if they were lying karma would eventually catch up with them.

In this case though, they could look at the picture of the stick they required in the claim and clearly see its a stick that has not seen much ice time.

4 minutes ago, jsp047 said:

I realize having to take a person's word for when they started using a product is not ideal. I've worked in customer service before and was constantly forced to make a decision as to whether or not to believe a customer's word.  People will make up some crazy stories just to get free stuff, I would usually side with the customer and hope that if they were lying karma would eventually catch up with them.

In this case though, they could look at the picture of the stick they required in the claim and clearly see its a stick that has not seen much ice time.

Bauer would have the exact same response, though..

My sticks look brand new except for some very hard to see scuffs. I'm good at photoshop enough to where I could get rid of them. It's a crappy situation but you live and learn.

yeah I am not sure how one could expect them to warranty something almost a full year outside of its window. Allowing these kind of exceptions would set dangerous precedence for them, in terms of too many people taking advantage of the system and sending in sticks well past the deadline. I guarantee you that if I were to go out and snap my 1 year old bauer stick and send it in, I would get the same response.

1 hour ago, jsp047 said:

While I understand its my fault that I sat on the stick for so long before using it, I would hope that in buying a top of the line stick I'd get more then an hour and a half of playing time with it. 

This is why the warranty is 30 days from purchase date. If the stick is defective (which it sounds like it was) it will fail immediately. 

Your anger and disappointment toward CCM are unwarranted and your demands are unreasonable. Unfortunately, live and learn. Had you broken it immediately, you'd have gotten a new stick within 96 hours, and been praising CCM customer service.

The situation: Used a stick less than 2 times and it broke in way that seems to be a manufacture defect

The issue: I purchased the stick way too long ago and don't have a way to prove I only used it twice other than them taking my word for it.

I'm not angry at CCM and never demanded they issue a replacement. Just disappointed (as I imagine anyone would be to get 1.5 hours out of a top of the line stick) and had hoped they would take my situation into more consideration.

I think Bbd94 summed it up best....

1 hour ago, Bbd94 said:

It's a crappy situation but you live and learn.

Howdy,

14 hours ago, jsp047 said:

The situation: Used a stick less than 2 times and it broke in way that seems to be a manufacture defect

The issue: I purchased the stick way too long ago and don't have a way to prove I only used it twice other than them taking my word for it.

I'm not angry at CCM and never demanded they issue a replacement. Just disappointed (as I imagine anyone would be to get 1.5 hours out of a top of the line stick) and had hoped they would take my situation into more consideration.

I think Bbd94 summed it up best....

That does suck.  I'd have hoped they'd get you to ship in the broken stick, examine it, and determine it had very little use.  They had a chance to make you always think of CCM in a positive light vs. being disappointed.

But 10 months is for sure a long time and I can imagine they don't want to have to constantly make that type of call so its "understandable"... Just a little disappointing.

For sure its a good reminder to use a new stick immediately.  Sorry it was such an expensive lesson / reminder for you.  :-/

Mark

CCM warranty doesn't require returning the stick now. Just photos of the break, code, and receipt. They need to draw a line in the sand somewhere. The warranty return rules are what they are, and CCM is sticking to it. good on them.