Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

malcb33

55 Flex- Improves skate flex

I got that price off their website($49.50+13% tax=$56.50)dont know about shipping(didnt get that far)

Not sure what I would pay..being as i think I could make em for about $5..maybe less..I guess if they were shipped for $20-25 I might buy them to try

I cant see how they can justify 60 bucks for a couple of small pieces of plastic and some screws.

I understand the concept behind the product but to be honest there is no one that is not mechanically inclined enough to make a product that will work just like this with materials they can get at their local hardware/craft supply store for about 5 bucks or less.

As someone who is not very heavy and has always been experimenting with my lacing/skates to maximize forward flex without losing lateral ankle stability I can totally understand the value in an item like this but the price is just off the wall for the minute amount of materials they are selling you.

I probably would have already bought a set at $20 a set, maybe $25. I don't know if I'm $60 currious though.

This whole topic has gotten me thinking about my lacing all over again.

Currently I pull tight at the third eyelets, crossing two or three times, then do the last two eyelets snugly. Thinking that if I do the Crosby thing and skip the 2nd eyelet, I will get some of the effect of this gizmo. Going to try that.

I really love that forward flex, just hate losing lateral stability.

Currently I pull tight at the third eyelets, crossing two or three times, then do the last two eyelets snugly. Thinking that if I do the Crosby thing and skip the 2nd eyelet, I will get some of the effect of this gizmo. Going to try that.

The skip the 2nd eyelet method works wonders for lowering the forward flex point.

On my S17s (which are ridiculously high cut boots) i actually have to skip the top eyelet (as it is so high up its almost at my knee lol, and then (with the 2nd eyelet now being the top) I skip the next eyelet down and that gives me the best combo of forward flex and still retains the lateral stability as well.

On most skates I have had either just skipping the 2nd eyelet or just dropping down 1 eyelet works but since the S17 was such a high boot I had to go even lower to get them to flex properly at my relatively light weight

The skip the 2nd eyelet method works wonders for lowering the forward flex point.

... and then (with the 2nd eyelet now being the top) I skip the next eyelet down and that gives me the best combo of forward flex and still retains the lateral stability as well.

That's another variation I could see working. I will give it a try. CCM U 10s. Also high.

That's another variation I could see working. I will give it a try. CCM U 10s. Also high.

You may really like it, you can crank the top knot nice and tight to get the top of the boot to hug your ankle but you still get a fairly aggressive forward flex.

I cant see how they can justify 60 bucks for a couple of small pieces of plastic and some screws.

I understand the concept behind the product but to be honest there is no one that is not mechanically inclined enough to make a product that will work just like this with materials they can get at their local hardware/craft supply store for about 5 bucks or less.

As someone who is not very heavy and has always been experimenting with my lacing/skates to maximize forward flex without losing lateral ankle stability I can totally understand the value in an item like this but the price is just off the wall for the minute amount of materials they are selling you.

Ok so I had a chance to sit down and speak with Troy about this question.

So he explained and his explanation makes a ton of sense. First off he is a small start up company so we all know when buying raw materials your going to pay more. However here is some things that you may not realize. First of these are tested and scientifically proven to work. They have been tested for over a year by Dr Lockwood at Brock. Famous for her studies on profiling and sharpening. So it is not that they MAY work they do work. I was able to try a pair on a customer the other day who had issues with, Falling easily on turns, Lace Bite and just overall not the best skater. Troy showed me some tricks to how to size them as they are small and large and this young lady needed a large for her leg and foot fit in the skate.We adjusted the profile ever so slightly and blended the toe as it was massive. Anyway I saw her at the rink tonight. She said zero pain from lacebit she is skating much faster she feels and way more stable. All confirmed by her coach. Infact the coach wants me to come look at a few others right away.

Now part 2. Someone mentioned about making their own with some plastic they knew about that would be durable. These are from Dupont and are tested to extreme temps so as not to break from a shot,. I would say that would be kind of important when your selling a product such as this. And also as brought up on here about other things and other products. If you were to copy them then you would be in violation of a US patent infringement. I would suggest if you think it would help buy them. If you really want to try them and live near me come buy and I will put on a test pair you can walk around the shop in. If you live far away well you may want to wait for some more feedback.

But now after a season of my soin using them he was only select last year (one above HL) tried out for an A team and was a last cut. And he has almost 30lbs on every other kid out there. Even the coach is shocked at how well he moves for his height and weight. Almost 5ft and just shy of 100lbs at 9. If he continues at this rate I.....He is going to need a queen size bed in no time! LOL

Any other questions or pictures regarding install you cant find on the website feel free to ask.

PS I to was questioning the price. But after hearing all Troy has done to make it a great product I am satisfied with the price.

This is what I was thinking while reading through this thread. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Not sure if there'd be any kind of long term side effects with the boot, can't think of any reason not to.

Not that I need to, as my skates fit properly, but I would not even think of shelling out 50$ plus tax for a minimalist product like this. Like many have said, half that cost might be possible if I had no other choice.

Price change coming. 39.99 retail 49.99 shipped.

The 49.99 includes free shipping in Canada. Elsewhere is $9.99.

They should make this clear up front on the site, as well as some of the other details you mentioned--Dupont plastic, etc.

I am waiting to post some video of a young man with and without the lace extenders and the visible difference in flex. I am just not good at posting this stuff from my phone.

As for the other details I will mention it but I do not work for Troy. He just happened to work my business partner and thats how I came to know all about these.

I am waiting to post some video of a young man with and without the lace extenders and the visible difference in flex. I am just not good at posting this stuff from my phone.

As for the other details I will mention it but I do not work for Troy. He just happened to work my business partner and thats how I came to know all about these.

Understood. I just think you made some persuasive points. I hope Troy picks up on them.

I would like to see those videos.

A. YouTube Channel is Proskatecorner or should be. I am not the best guy on computers as of yet but learning all this,

B. There has been zero issue with durability. I took him to a skate today with Ellen Hughes (Former US National Team Player and wife of Jim Hughes Director of player personnel of the TML) and they were very impressed with a young man his size and weight with zero coaching and played select (barely above house league) and he did so well. He was able to keep up to all of the AA players, and even did not do badly against a AAA player. His goal for hockey (thank goodness) is to play well at A and hopefully make AA next year. Always being on a top 3 team with good coaching. Hopefully making it to AAA by the time he is 14. That way he will have 1 possibly 2 years at AAA the last being the OHL draft year. But he is not allowed to play unless his grades stay up. Study's first. Being as large as he is 4'10" and 100lbs he is one of the biggest kids in his age group. And he is growing more and more each day. But his flexibility in a standard boot is not good without leaving 2 eyelets un-done. As we all know lateral stability goes out the window when you do that with small skates (he has small feet for his size, size 2.5). So when I was able to get these it allowed him to bend his knees and at the waist without putting a lot of forward pitch on the blades. In fact I was able to make the skate almost neutral and he skated much better with them on at neutral.

I honestly believe in the product and have seen them work!

Is this something that would benefit everyone? Or only people experiencing limited forward flexion?

Zach

Show me one player in todays skates that could not use some additional forward flex? Not many.....K being funny but yes any and everyone could benefit if if just a slight bit.