Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dingle

Replacing Bauer Air 90's

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster here. After about a 10 year hiatus, I decided to get back into playing hockey a couple of years ago. The skates I've been using are Bauer Air 90's I bought in 1997. Very quickly after starting I had to replace the Tuuk holders as they both cracked and one shattered on the ice. Now the boots themselves are beginning to fall apart. I'm coming to the realization that I need new skates. Prior to these skates I had 2 pairs of the Micron Mega Air 90's, and prior to that, Bauer 3000's. I'm looking for a similar fit to the Air 90's. If I recall correctly, the Vapor line replaced the Air 90's, right? If I stick with Bauer, should I go with Vapors, Supreme's or the new Nexus line to get that similar fit to the Air 90's or is there another brand I should look into? I don't have a wide foot and my size is a 9D. I play forward at a competitive level about 2 times a week. Any insight is much appreciated!

A year or so ago I was with a friend who was buying skates at a local hockey shop. While there, I decided to try on some Vapors size 9D, I think they were x40's. I remember the heel felt good and snug but the boot had some pressure on my mid foot along the outside metatarsal. Is this typical for Vapors and would backing relieve that pressure? I've never baked skates before and these new skates are so much more stiff that my old Air 90's.

Baking will eliminate a little bit of pressure, but it won't make a lot of pressure go away.

So the Vapors are a more similar fit to the Air 90's than the Supremes? I'm curious because I've heard the Vapors are especially narrow and I don't recall Air 90's being categorized as such.

Man I loved the Mega Air 90s. I only had one pair though and grew out of them very quickly. Pretty much any decent skate these days (top end and down a couple of models) is going to be much stiffer than the skates of the 90's. The payoff however is that the skate is much more responsive once you get used to it.

I was also reading that the APX2 tends to be more narrow than others in the Vapor line. I'm just trying to figure which of the Vapor or Supreme line fit most similar to the Air 90's.

Notice I said APX2, not "Vapors."

I have never been able to put on a Vapor on my feet, from the original Vapor 8 on to X:60. However, I can in an EE Vapor APX or APX2.

Make sure you try them on, the sizing has changed a bit too. 9D from the early 90s isn't the same as today's 9D. The easiest way to describe it is that skates have grown a little... you would probably be an 8.5D now.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to go with the APX2's after much deliberation. I don't have a LHS nearby to try them on so I have to order them online. I do know a guy that can bake them for me however. My last question is: If I normally wear a D width, should I stick with that or order an EE in the APX2, if they are narrower?

Well it's your lucky day!! I too for Years skated on Mega Air 90's and the Bauer Air 90's. I had these skates for years and i was even using duck tape to hold them together.

I Love the fit and the feel of these skates there was nothing else out there that compared. All the new stuff out there from Bauer CCM Reebok,,, it's JUNK!!!!

They are stiff with little to no forward flex

i finaly found one that is alot like my old air 90's but SOOOO Much better.

The Graf G75. Fantastic skate!!!!!

Well after years of searching EBay I just this week found a pair of good condition (lightly used) Bauer Air 90s in my size (7D). I bought them immediately and am excited to receive them next week. Im currently in x:60 vapors (when they were the top vapor model that followed the XXXX a few years back) so im not even sure if ill use the 90s but given I will probably never find another pair in my size in good shape I couldn't help myself!