Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogie Oglethorpe

eBay idiot, or not?

My questions to her last night:

Where did you get the helmet? Do you have a Letter of Authenticity to go with the helmet? The number font doesn't match the 2007-2008 number font on the jerseys. What's up with that?

Her response:

I don't now have a Coa I'm sorry from what I am being told it could be one of his practice helmets I have plenty of pictures of him wearing this exact helmet in practice the helmet was given to me

I Have reported this listing twice. No one needs to lose around $600 on a fake.

But the sticker went from Orange NHL to a silver NHL sticker.

Oh when i first saw the listing it had a silver NHL Decal, albeit the old down slant NHL that was before Ovi played a game in the NHL.

i don't get how some of you are so pissed. if some tard wants to blindly spend $500 on a clear fake thats their problem. report it to ebay and move on, no need to message that person over and over again..

i don't get how some of you are so pissed. if some tard wants to blindly spend $500 on a clear fake thats their problem. report it to ebay and move on, no need to message that person over and over again..

What if someone is buying this as a gift for their son or daughter, someone who doesn't know hockey like those of us on here? They're going to get ripped off. That's like saying if you witness a murder that it was the victim's fault for not being strong enough to defend themselves so it's their problem and you shouldn't report it to the police. This person is committing a crime and should be reported, end of story.

Agreed. The only way this listing gets changed is if ebay makes them change it. Messaging the seller won't make a difference, and if someone pays that much for this, then they haven't done any research. The only person who has recourse would be the buyer. And it is called Buyer beware. Carping at the seller isn't going to do a thing, and they'll just come to the conclusion that some of you have way too much time on your hands - and that is true.

Agreed. The only way this listing gets changed is if ebay makes them change it. Messaging the seller won't make a difference, and if someone pays that much for this, then they haven't done any research. The only person who has recourse would be the buyer. And it is called Buyer beware. Carping at the seller isn't going to do a thing, and they'll just come to the conclusion that some of you have way too much time on your hands - and that is true.

Eh, the people on this board are uniquely positioned to challenge this type of nonsense, and if they don't mind doing it, go for it.

As for sending a message along with the ebay complaint, maybe it doesn't make a difference, but I'm entertained. I like reading how these people squirm when they're caught.

There are a few ways about going this:

1) The seller made an honest mistake. They thought they had something that they really don't and were un-intentionally misleading people in their listings. If that were the case, when the seller got the message from HockeySavants, they should have changed the listing as such, and/or removed it until they did research themselves or could provide proof otherwise. Given the sellers responses, this is not the case.

2) The seller is a fraud trying to prey on some person who isn't as knowledgeable. Buyer Beware is a faulty logic. What this person is selling is a fake to us knowledgeable people but to an unknowing person who doesn't know how to research it (face it, some of our parents can't even use a computer). This person knows this is a fake and still chooses to sell it as a game worn helmet. That is a crime.

While i agree that messaging the seller does little at this point, Reporting the listing does. That is probably peoples best bet if they want this off the site.

There are a few ways about going this:

1) The seller made an honest mistake. They thought they had something that they really don't and were un-intentionally misleading people in their listings. If that were the case, when the seller got the message from HockeySavants, they should have changed the listing as such, and/or removed it until they did research themselves or could provide proof otherwise. Given the sellers responses, this is not the case.

2) The seller is a fraud trying to prey on some person who isn't as knowledgeable. Buyer Beware is a faulty logic. What this person is selling is a fake to us knowledgeable people but to an unknowing person who doesn't know how to research it (face it, some of our parents can't even use a computer). This person knows this is a fake and still chooses to sell it as a game worn helmet. That is a crime.

While i agree that messaging the seller does little at this point, Reporting the listing does. That is probably peoples best bet if they want this off the site.

My girlfriend and her family got together and bought me some "pro stock" sticks a few Christmases ago. They were trying real hard to get me something I would like and the sticks turned out to be retail and they really overpaid for them. They were promised that they were pro models from the seller and unfortunately they were duped.

By calling this seller out we are helping those not as knowledgeable as us to not get ripped off, especially at this time of the year when people are buying hockey gifts for their loved ones.

No one's pissed. It's an ebay listing that they didn't fall for, we're all chill. They're playing vigilante, good for them.

Lol I'm an eBay seller myself and hate seeing shit like this. I've had the guy who had "Authentic Kane Skates" take down his listing so if I can somehow attribute to this seller doing the same it would mean someone else isn't buying a fake.

Not every buyer on eBay is a subject matter expert on gear, I could very well put Hawks stickers on my Pro Stock Helmet and sell it as an authentic Toews, I have everything to make it look 100% authentic too...but I have a soul lol

My girlfriend and her family got together and bought me some "pro stock" sticks a few Christmases ago. They were trying real hard to get me something I would like and the sticks turned out to be retail and they really overpaid for them. They were promised that they were pro models from the seller and unfortunately they were duped.

By calling this seller out we are helping those not as knowledgeable as us to not get ripped off, especially at this time of the year when people are buying hockey gifts for their loved ones.

No you're not. You're calling this person out on an internet bulletin board with a very small audience. Emailing the seller obviously hasn't worked. Report it to ebay and let them deal with it. That's the proper response by you. Trying to prove that the seller is an idiot by sending them pictures didn't work. It is pretty obvious that the seller isn't motivated to change the listing by you. You don't know that they know they're selling a fake. They could be passing along a fake and not realize it. And random "told ya so" emails from guys who say they know better aren't very convincing.

And by the way, if I'm buying memorabilia at that price, I'm asking the seller for some sort of proof. Obviously they don't have it, so you know what? I'm not buying it. Anyone buying memorabilia off ebay ought to be doing the same thing. And even if they're not, the listing is covered under ebay's buyer protection, so there is recourse if the item isn't listed accurately. But that recourse if for the BUYER, not for those who troll ebay calling out idiots.

But that's where you're wrong...I already let my followers on Twitter know about this item (about a dozen had looked at it and were interested before I had come across it) and now they thank me since they were looking to bid on it.

And with eBay receiving several reports of it being fraud, they will also look into it further.

I did my good deed, u mad?

But that's where you're wrong...I already let my followers on Twitter know about this item (about a dozen had looked at it and were interested before I had come across it) and now they thank me since they were looking to bid on it.

And with eBay receiving several reports of it being fraud, they will also look into it further.

I did my good deed, u mad?

You probably need to learn what fraud actually means and what it takes to prove it. All you've shown is that the helmet probably isn't authentic. That's not the same as proving the seller is attempting a fraud.

I guess that the apparent glee that you seem to take in trolling ebay and contacting sellers and reporting on it here ad nauseum is something I find personally irritating. Sorry. It reeks of "look how much I know nah nah nah na na."

I'm sorry, but if you cannot provide a CoA and have inaccuracies in your listing, that is intentionally deceiving someone of what the person might have wanted otherwise known as fraud. Especially if the asking price for Buy it Now is about the price of 5 retail helmets. In this case, The 8 on the helmet matches the font of the old Capitals, but everything else fits the description of the New Capitals.

You probably need to learn what fraud actually means and what it takes to prove it. All you've shown is that the helmet probably isn't authentic. That's not the same as proving the seller is attempting a fraud.

I guess that the apparent glee that you seem to take in trolling ebay and contacting sellers and reporting on it here ad nauseum is something I find personally irritating. Sorry. It reeks of "look how much I know nah nah nah na na."

The motivation of HockeySavants and others here regarding this listing is obvious. It is not what the seller claims it to be. What is your motivation?

The motivation of HockeySavants and others here regarding this listing is obvious. It is not what the seller claims it to be. What is your motivation?

Chadd had it right a page back. A seller like this isn't (and hasn't been) deterred one bit by having you, Hockeysavants or anyone else telling her she should provide proof or that this is a fake. Report it to ebay. If you all simply did that, then the motivation would be more clear to me. How I read the posting of the emails between the seller is that you guys are kinda enjoying this. And as I said, I find that to be personally irritating to read.

Intrinsic vs Extrinsic motivation? You can never tell with some people. It's the same with any act, be it goodwill or not.

You probably need to learn what fraud actually means and what it takes to prove it

And as I said, I find that to be personally irritating to read.

fraud

   [frawd]

noun

deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence,perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonestadvantage.

a particular instance of such deceit or trickery: mail fraud;election frauds.

any deception, trickery, or humbug: That diet book is a fraudand a waste of time.

a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur.

So the person just happens to sell a helmet, claims its Ovechkin's, and lists it as 4x value, and you still think its not her trying to trick someone (fraud) into thinking its real with noticeable inaccuracies being pointed out to her?

And if you don't like the thread, don't read it.....

fraud

   [frawd]

noun

deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence,perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonestadvantage.

a particular instance of such deceit or trickery: mail fraud;election frauds.

any deception, trickery, or humbug: That diet book is a fraudand a waste of time.

a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur.

So the person just happens to sell a helmet, claims its Ovechkin's, and lists it as 4x value, and you still think its not her trying to trick someone (fraud) into thinking its real with noticeable inaccuracies being pointed out to her?

And if you don't like the thread, don't read it.....

Thanks. I know what fraud means. You would probably need to consult a lawyer to understand what It takes to prove a fraud. You don't get that from googling the word in a dictionary. Do you know why eBay hasn't done anything about this yet? Because nobody has purchased it yet. There's been no harm other than to someone's sensibilities.

Ebay has not taken it down because theyll get their fair share of fees once its sold, it has nothing to do with sensibilities, they woulndt care less if its real or not.

Btw are you the seller of that helmet?