Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Grit Gearbox Bags

One of things I really love about having a simple carry bag is the ease of getting through narrow halls and doorways. But trying to do that with a compartmentalized 'box' would seem a bit clunky to be honest.

However I do like the the zippered mesh pockets on the inside of the door flaps. Surprised more bags don't feature those.

A group of 4 guys on a team I filled in with had them and said that they liked them. I don't remember at all what types of equipment they used. Since they don't have measurements for the different compartments, I wonder how big the space for shoulderpads and pants are.

My gripes:

1) Lots of bells and whistles means that it's easy for something to break. I'm a simple man and I like simple bags.

2) Aesthetically, I do not like it at all. The different colorways don't do anything for me, and the brass fittings with the brown leather makes it look too much like a piece of luggage.

These things are very heavy compared to a regular carry bag, really hard on the shoulders and back. There are a tonne of bags that have inner mesh pockets plus outer skate holders that aren't ridged and don't weighs alot. Plus who wants to carry a bag that say's gearbox on the side?

I don't mind the branding and appearance (especially on the plain black model).

You guys have a point about it likely being very stiff and no give, like TBR said. I just saw them and like the idea of all the compartments to keep stuff organized. More pockets = better for me.

I'd been using the pro-style warrior bag I got at WinterFest up until I got one of Nazem Kadri's pro bags. It fits a lot better in my trunk, the warrior bag is super tall and my trunk is TINY. But in either case, the lack of exterior pockets drives me up the wall. I think I'm going to be going back to a retail bag - probably a backpack now that my shoulder pads don't take up any room (DownLow pads).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this bag out there for opinions or to see if somebody had used one before. Nevermind, I guess :)

I have the shock doctor bag that is for use with the blower attachment. I only used it a short while for games and it has sat five years in my house to be used only for drying gear. Basically the big bags with frames are hard to lift or carry through doors, being too bulky.

Also the divisions or compartments go from the floor of the bag to the top of the bag. This makes it hard to layer gear to fit the bag. The plus with the SD bag is that you can move the dividers to suit yourself and perhaps the grit bag works the same way. Perhaps you can order more dividers from Grit to create further subdivisions?

Basically if it has wheels and you are okay with a large, framed wheel bag it should give you individual spaces for player gear, albeit with shin pads inside the pants. If it doesn't have wheels i think it would be to bulky for convenient use as leer2006 suggests.

I think that the rods (the short ones, or the main long one) will eventually run through their end attachments / coverings. It might take a long time or a short time; let's see.

It's interesting that the lower diagram shows a person in shorts and sandals. Is this being marketed towards the Southern US?

The leather reinforcement looks like a good idea.

Since the bag is long and narrow, they could have made the ends triangular so that it would be easier to sling around doorways, rest under the arm and against your hip, etc. The bag would still be long and narrow. The shorter rods would still be used to give shape to the bag.

I prefer the skates at the ends.

I have the HT4 and love it.

It really does make a difference when you are changing when everything is organized. The older you get the more you need things to be organized. TRUTH

I had an HT4 and I HATED it. I wanted to like it but it was too cumbersome to lift in and out of the car or even back of the truck for that matter. I've been through several bags over the past 5 years trying to find a good one. But the Warrior Pro bag, its easily the nicest hockey bag I've ever owned.

I definitely like having things organized - the more pockets the better. That's why the Warrior Pro bag I have isn't for me, as much as I absolutely love it. The Leafs pro bag I have is amazing (again owned by Kadri so its special to me) but definitely beat up. I thought about going back to my Bauer backpack - but same problem: lack of exterior products.

I hate how picky I am about something as simple as a bag! >:(

I had an HT4 and I HATED it. I wanted to like it but it was too cumbersome to lift in and out of the car or even back of the truck for that matter. I've been through several bags over the past 5 years trying to find a good one. But the Warrior Pro bag, its easily the nicest hockey bag I've ever owned.

It is cumbersome to get into the car. It will take up the whole trunk. I mean a very tight fit. I find it easier to put into the back seat.

I have the HT4 and love it.

It really does make a difference when you are changing when everything is organized. The older you get the more you need things to be organized. TRUTH

bag_zpsb2b2d9e4.jpg

I just picked up a Gearbox. I like to have multiple pockets/compartments and have been using an old Itech BG18 for years. The Gearbox is heavier, but the shoulder strap is wide and comfortable. I like the interior compartments better than having exterior pockets. My only complaint is that with the fiber spine, the bag is not collapsible and can't be easily stuffed under the bench in the locker room!

I just picked up a Gearbox. I like to have multiple pockets/compartments and have been using an old Itech BG18 for years. The Gearbox is heavier, but the shoulder strap is wide and comfortable. I like the interior compartments better than having exterior pockets. My only complaint is that with the fiber spine, the bag is not collapsible and can't be easily stuffed under the bench in the locker room!

Can't say I've ever had a reason to put my bag under the bench!

I don't care whether the pockets are on the inside or outside, as long as my crap stays separated.

I'm actually looking at the CCM bags, because they're shorter (and thus will fit in my trunk better).

When the locker room is packed, we put our bags under the bench to give others more space.

The exterior pockets are more prone to bumping into walls and doorways since they stick out.

my son has one of these. this his his 3rd year using it and the zipper/seem has given away 8" on one side . for a year and a half he hard a hard time w/ it and I carried it a lot.

but for the 2nd half of pee wee and now bantam he can rock it...love the compartments and size

I don't think I'd bother with this thing now that I've got one of the Grit standup bags for my goalie stuff. For my player gear I will absolutely be getting either one of those, or just a backpack bag. Likely never use a regular carry bag again. The more compartments, the better.