Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Souldriver

Bauer Re-Akt Helmet

So after my old helmet started to show its age, and the inside gel pads started to move with the hot summer and the immense sweat i decided to go with something a little newer and hopefully has a bit more ventilation. It was this or the e700 but the easton did not fit my head.

previous helmet was the H8000 in large, Im keeping it as a backup as there are no issues and i upgraded for better ventilation.

Length of use - 2-3 months

Fit - GREAT!... for my head that is. For helmets you really need to fit your headshape for the helmet. not only for comfort but that is the best way to protect your dome! Absolutely zero pressure points anywhere on the helmet and its great feeling around the temples/sides due to the block of PoronXRD padding there. I thought my old helmet was comfy but this is legit pillows on my head. I also usually wear a L and got a Med on this helmet and i ended up adjusting it down a lot. Well fitting, comfy, no bulk. Only issue was my ears hit against the ear guards and its not comfy there are all, my old helmet had a grey foam there and it was great, this just has hard clear rubber and it bores on my ear. 9/10

Protection - Feels sturdy and looks like it can take a hit, but JR put it best "New technologies, new foam, new concept. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to prove/disprove that it does as advertised." N/A

Weight - Light! Surprisingly light bc there seems to be a lot packed in, with a half shield i can hardly tell its on. its still noticeably lighter than the e700 but it wont bother you in game. i have to get a cage for the upcoming season and im putting on the matching re-akt titanium cage so im not worried about that 9.5/10

Durability - Nothing as of yet, helmet came a little scratched but that may have been a from handling and isnt a structural concern. all screws and moving parts still move well. 10/10 Edit: 8/10 see bottom post for more info

Intangibles - One of the big things for me is the heat management. it did this fine and bye bye stinging eyes of summer and visor full of droplets! the hot spot on my forehead form my other helmet is gone and i couldnt be happier. the new inhaler was announced after i bought this or i would of held up. one issue for me was how the black looks, its not a true black. 80% of the time you wont notice but I have OCD and i just catch it in the light sometimes and it erks me. more on this in the pics below. 9/10

Conclusion - I pull no bars in protecting my dome, i need it for a long time and there are no ways of getting around it. i feel comfortable and protected in this helmet. it amazes me how much lighter it is and yet i feel more secure. Im hoping the day that it gets really put to the test never comes but if it does i feel prepared. it also is a great looking helmet with good ventilation. real streamlined but has classic looks. 9.5/10

Final score - 47/50 = 94/100!

Pics
-

y52WfUZ.jpg?1?8462

V400S2Q.jpg?1

very deep black like in the stadiums and on tv right?

ESMhtda.jpg?1

well sometimes it also looks like this, and JR feel free to remove this but i found in this pic you can see from afar the helemt has a muddy look to it. it never seems to have a real deep "dip your hand into it" liquid black look to it. it looks like real dark dirty oil after an oil change, not saying it looks dirty but thats the best thing i can compare it to.
steelswap.jpg

iw9CJZ7.jpg?1

back of the helmet with my "H" logo waterslided on. looks good IMHO

Edited by Souldriver

I would like to update the review by downgrading the durability to an 8 or so.

with about 8 game in from last season and playoffs, i went to put the re-akt cage (ill review that separately once i have enough games with it on) onto my helmet and noticed the suspend tech was looking weird. i touched it and the back arm that connect the middle of it to the back had come loose, i thought at first there was an adhesive that came loose, but then noticed a stitch failed. im wondering now if i should report it to bauer see if its taken care of under warranty, stitch it back myself, or leave it because it sits where it should. either way this is a no stress part of the helmet that shouldnt of failed so early.