Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meals

Tendonitis - from shooting

I know...let the jokes begin but I am serious.

I starting playing in an adult leage after over 15 years off. I have been going to open praticices like in High School and they have shooting stations set up. Well it has been a few months and my right forearm (I shoot right handed) has been killing me for about 4 weeks. I am an accountant so I type all day so I'm sure that doesn't help. Also, When we had the 2 week break in between seasons...it went away. Fall league is back, I went to a sunday pratice and...its back. Anyone out there have anything like this...anyone....anyone...Bueller??

I have never taken off as much time as you, but my guess would be a combination of weak forearm muscles (in comparison to where they were when you were routinely playing 15 years ago) and the possibility of a stick that is a little too stiff.

If the soreness persists I'd believe the problem to be your stick, rather than a lack of strength.

Loosen up your grip and/or go to a softer flex. A glove with more grip in the palm or a grip shaft may help with the lighter grip

Ooooh buddy. I can relate. I got it a few years back when I was like 35 or 36 in my left forearm. I did everything - ice it, ibuprofen, etc.

What I read on is that it is something that comes for a while and then it will eventually heal itself maybe taking 6 months. That is what happened with me. Mine was in my forearm close to my elbow. It hurt something fierce and made me have to adapt. Of course I didn't quit playing because I just enjoy it too much.

It did go away though and has not returned.

For some relief I found a Velcro strap with a pressure point attachment for tennis elbow. It was at Walmart. I would wear that thing when I played and that helped to keep the tendon from pushing out and causing a lot of pain. It reduced pain but did not take it away all together.

Hope yours will heal itself in time too!

I don't have quite the same issue, but similar - I think.

Recently after every game (and for the next couple days) my right (bottom) hand has had some soreness in the thenar area (part of the palm connecting to the thumb). Goes away after 3-4 days, though.

I'm guessing this may have to do with me using an intermediate stick and it being too thin? I'm not quite sure. Thinking of testing that theory by playing with a senior stick this weekend.

I had this same problem, I had like a 12 year layoff and when I started playing again, my wrists and grip were in so much pain. I couldn't hold my stick tight and I was barely able to workout in the gym as I couldnt turn my wrists or grip anything. Needless to say, it went away on its own after a few weeks. I just kept playing that way and eventually it went away.

I feel better. My issue is that I shoot left handed and I have an issue with my right elbow. I have always thought it was the shock from when the stick hits the ice or that I am 43 and well, just old. :) I have iced it, laid off for a few weeks, heat and massage (my wife is a physical therapist). Nothing. She thinks it is a nerve issue. i think it's just something you have to live with. I use a wood stick and a warrior that is probably 100 flex. Been wanting a new stick so i guess I have to tell the wife I need a smaller flex to help my elbow. Think she'll go for it... :)

Andy in Peoria

Original Poster's sounds like it may be a different thing than what I have because his sounds like it is his bottom hand and my understanding is that the thing I have usually occurs in the top hand. Mine came a couple of years ago. It was originally set off by an injury (sort of a twisting hyperextension of my elbow while playing) but it can also just be caused by repetitive over use and getting older. If it is pin-pointed to the single little bump on the outside of your elbow it is most likely lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow). You can also tell if this is it by putting your arm striaght out with your fingers/wrist pointing down at a right angle. If when in this position you push against something with the fronts of your fingers by rotating your wrist forward and you feel that pain at that connection point on your elbow, it is most likely tennis elbow.

The tendon that controls the flexion and grip in your wrist/hand runs all the way up your forearm and connects only at that single point on your elbow. Because of that single connection point all of the force received by that tendon (can be from gripping and can also be from the force during a shot, particularly a slap shot) is transferred to that one spot on your elbow and inflamation occurs. As you get older your tendons get less elastic and more force is transferred to that connection point. The othropedic surgeon I went to said the normal course of action is to try up to 3 or 4 cortisone injections in the elbow and then if that doesn't wipe it out for good, get an MRI to determine if surgery might help. The cortisone injection wiped it out for a month or two but unfortunately I never got around to injections 2-4. The "tennis elbow" strap helps me a lot. It is used an inch or two below the connection point so that the strap will absorb some of the force instead of the connection point (like fretting a guitar string further down the neck). Also, the more inflamed it is when you play the worse playing is going to make it. So taking ibuprofen or naproxen (naproxen works better for me) to reduce the inflamation before playing can help things considerably. There are many stretching exercise on youtube to help. I tried a TENS machine but this did nothing for me. Cutting down on slapshots in warmups helped me. The good news is over time it has gone from almost excruciating when simply picking up a gallon of milk to almost unnoticable most of the time.

I feel better. My issue is that I shoot left handed and I have an issue with my right elbow. I have always thought it was the shock from when the stick hits the ice or that I am 43 and well, just old. :) I have iced it, laid off for a few weeks, heat and massage (my wife is a physical therapist). Nothing. She thinks it is a nerve issue. i think it's just something you have to live with. I use a wood stick and a warrior that is probably 100 flex. Been wanting a new stick so i guess I have to tell the wife I need a smaller flex to help my elbow. Think she'll go for it... :)

Andy in Peoria

Add some sports wrap at the top or something else to make the butt end a little more spongy. It should help along with the lighter flex.

Since I work in IT, RSI from sitting and typing is a legitimate threat for me in the long term. Being an accountant who sits and types a lot, I'm certain it is for you as well. This post you're about to read is about as hockey related as feeding yourself nutritiously is.

I've heard many veterans of other sedentary job titles warn me to start changing some habits to head off repetitive stress injuries while I'm relatively young so that I can both type and hold a hockey stick well into my lifetime. I almost get sick of hearing it, but they're right and I take their advice very seriously... it comes from guys who can no longer type or grip a golf club by age 35-40 due to wrist pain and RSI. Nothing scares me more than not being able to do my job or play hockey by that age.

There is a lot of wisdom and disinformation out there about ergonomics, but the two most basic habits you can change about the way you work that might help your wrists and forearms out have to do with your chair and your keyboard. Spend good money and get a nice office chair that supports the way you sit. Do some reasearch and sit in as many as you can before you pick one out. It's really hard to overstate how much of an impact sitting in awful chairs all day have on your body. If you spend more than three-four hours at a desk each day, you simply need a chair that supports your back and hips, full stop.

The second basic habit is your typing. Rather than blowing money on oddly-shaped "ergonomic" keyboards, invest $100-200 in a keyboard with mechanical keyswitches. These are often referred to as "clicky" keyboards, but these days they are made so they aren't loud at all. The keystroke feel of these untrain you from a lot of unhealthy typing habits. Using one has alleviated the minor joint pain I was starting to get in my knuckles last year.

Corrolary to this, or if you choose not to start using a better keyboard, at the very least get yourself a Gripmaster and use it daily. Using mine has really kept my hands, wrists, and forearms at a baseline strength so that playing hockey and typing aren't stressful on my joints and connective tissues. It's one of my most important possessions, really. All of the old RSI-ridden IT veterans I have talked to practically ordered me to start using one early in life.

There's a lot more you can do for yourself that may help your specific case, but as a desk worker, these are the most basic things to start paying attention to. Starting out here can really help out your wrists and forearms a lot more than you'd think. Good luck.

I also have an arm issue - shoot left handed and I get soreness from my elbow to wrist area, on the bottom if the thumb is pointed up. This is a much bigger problem when lifting, especially barbell curls where the weight is perpendicular to the arm. Might try a tennis elbow strap thing.

1. your are older - you will have more pain.

2. use softer flex

3. tennis elbow strap helps a whole bunch (one with a pad pressing on a ligament)

4. wrap your wrists with athletic tape right before the game.

5. ease up on slap shots in warm up.

good luck. takes a while but i will get better.

I read quickly through this.... Do you guys stretch those muscles prior to playing or shooting or anything? You know the put your arm out bend your hand back stretch? Do it. Not only are you out of playing for a long time but you need to stretch to help prevent other pulls and strains.

I do this before baseball, hockey and guitar playing and havnt had the pain in my forearms in a long time.

Sounds like a good idea. I know I need to remember to stretch a little before playing but never actually do.

One other thing I noticed is I get more pain in my wrist (always the hand lower on the stick) when I've had a particular terrible display of technique. I noticed when my technique is better not only are my shots better but I seem to experience less pain. Like you I've gotten back into hockey about 3-4 months ago after not playing for 7-8 years.

I had tendonitis in my right arm that kept me from playing golf for over a year, but I refused to stop playing hockey with it. When it was at it's worse I would put icy hot (better know in the locker room as my "old man cream") on it and an elbow strap. I'm at the point where I where the strap only and could probably stop wearing it. Don't just stretch before games, stretch it any chance you get, it will help over time.

I can finally play golf and grip my club without pain to shoot through my arm. If it hadn't got better my next step was casting the arm to keep me from moving it so the micro tears could heal.

lots of good tips. one thing that hasnt been mentioned is to use your mouse at the office with your left hand. that'll help your coordination and take pressure off your right elbow

Sorry to bring back an old topic but has anyone had this same thing when switching from a low kick to a mid kick? Been using a Reebok ribcor and just picked up a total one nxg. After the first session on the ice I can barely use my left arm (shoots right). I know it'll get better but its pretty painful. Same flex too.

Sorry to bring back an old topic but has anyone had this same thing when switching from a low kick to a mid kick? Been using a Reebok ribcor and just picked up a total one nxg. After the first session on the ice I can barely use my left arm (shoots right). I know it'll get better but its pretty painful. Same flex too.

For you it isn't golfer's elbow. Is the pain on the outside attachment (tennis elbow)?

Pain runs from the bicept down to the hand. Pretty much my entire left arm was destroyed but mostly the forearm. The pain subsides after about 4 hours but its pretty gnarly. Not sure what golfers elbow is but I'd have to go through and read this entire forum to catch on.

I have issues with wrist pain in my right hand and I shoot with a RH stick.

what I have found is that higher flex sticks and LOTS of slapshots affect it for me.

if I use my 85 flex stick and take nothing but slapshots all day and really lean into it my wrist will hurt afterwards and for a few days afterwards.

If I use my 100 flex stick and take a few slapshots and a few wristers, it will hurt

Currently using my 77 flex stick for any sort of shot leaves me with no to minimal wrist pain.

This could be due to a number of factors, but more than likely it is the stress I am putting on my wrist to load up the stick.

Now-a-days shooting is different from when I was a kid. Wrist shots was all body weight/body rotation. Now it is downward loading of the stick with your hands on top of the previous motions.

also, one thing to note is that I am 6'3", fairly skinny - 195lbs, and little to no upper body muscle mass.