Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Washington Capitals 2013-2014

First preseason game, might as well have a topic about it, right?

Like him or not, Ovechkin deserves some credit tonight. Not only did he play in the first preseason game at a neutral site, he also came back on the ice after getting cut by a high stick. There are a lot of players in the league, as well as the HHoF that would not have done either of those things.

I also thought it was pretty cool of Ovechkin to return to a pre-season game after his injury, showing his consideration for fans who will rarely have the opportunity to see him play live.

The Hawks won a cup with Crawford and Keith, no reason to think that Holtby and Green couldn't get the caps there this year.

So, both Martin Erat and Dmitri Orlov, independently through their respective agents requested trades... Orlov can't do any worse than Green. Erat has been struggling so he might benefit from a change of scenery, though.

So, both Martin Erat and Dmitri Orlov, independently through their respective agents requested trades... Orlov can't do any worse than Green. Erat has been struggling so he might benefit from a change of scenery, though.

They have been jerking Orlov around, calling him up just often enough that he can't go back to the KHL, but never actually dressing him or letting him see NHL game action. Mostly because of Oates obsession with having righties on the right and lefties on the left. Erat is being used in a lesser role than he would like and is seeing five minutes less ice per night than he saw in Nashville. It's not hard to see why both guys aren't happy with the organization.

Thank you for the insight on the Orlov situation. Caps gm is receptive to Erat's demands from what I read. Not sure if they want to part ways with Orlov, though.

Yeah, it's in Orlov's contact that if he doesn't spend 30 days on the NHL roster by January 1 he can go to the khl.

Until the most recent call up where he's actually playing they were calling him up, not dressing him and sending him back the next day.

Not good. And it's not like he wasn't good enough to make the team. Urbaum, Schmidt etc are all playing so inconsistently. I don't know how he fell out of oates grace so bad (though oates as a player was Moody too in Washington, that's why Linden was traded).

Hell of a night for both Ovechkin and Green last night for very different reasons

well, I am happy to see Orlov back in the lineup and playing good minutes. He's been solid too, very aggressive. I was not aware of such a clause... The Caps better keep him around. I'd hate to see him bolt for KHL.

The Pens and Caps game on Wednesday night was one of the best games I've seen all season. Great action all game long.

Red Wings tried to take Ovechkin out of the game tonight and gave up a ton of PP chances to other guys because of it. In OT, they got a 4 on 3 PP and he finished on his only real opportunity of the game. Ovechkin is rolling this year, too bad he isn't getting much help on most nights.

Ovechkin definitely looks a lot better this year. I'm not sure what happened to him the last couple years, but he's starting to find his groove again. He's transitioned away from the reckless game he played his first couple years in the league, which was what made him so exciting to watch, but his new style is working for him. He's calmer and playing a more complete game. It's crazy that for anybody else, being on pace for a 55+ goal season would be incredible, but for Ovechkin it's par for the course.

While +/- can be a little misleading, being a -18 doesn't scream complete game to me. He had to take some reckless out of his game or he would start to break down and not running around so much makes it easier for his teammates to play with him.

While +/- can be a little misleading, being a -18 doesn't scream complete game to me. He had to take some reckless out of his game or he would start to break down and not running around so much makes it easier for his teammates to play with him.

Their defense is still not very good and their goaltending has allowed a ton of weak goals this year. I'm not saying he's great in his own end, just that mistakes made by others factor into +/-

This team is playing awful. New GM and new coach at the end of year.

Time to trade Ovi? maybe to Florida for draft picks