Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viperkilo

Bauer APX2 some damage, are they ok?

Keep em?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey All, Just got a new pair of Bauer APX 2 skates, they were very hard to come by since I have a huge foot, and apparently these were sent right from bauer, but when I took a closer look, there is some damage or mis-mounting on the outside of the right boot (the white in the first picture isn't glue, its the plastic underneath the black material. The retailer has offered me a more than sufficient discount if I keep them, and will still send them back to bauer if something happens in the warranty period. This is the last pair of skates in my size, I have called many retailers, and bauer. Bauer said they don't have any more now, but should get more later on in the season when they receive their next shipment.

So in short...will they be ok? is this just cosmetic? is it worth Keeping (even with a nice sized discount)?

skate2-1.jpg

skate1.jpg

skate3.jpg

I don't see anything wrong, but I am looking at the pics on my phone. I think you shoul be fine, your best bet would be to give bauer a call and ask them.

EDIT: I see them clearly now, I dont see what the big deal is. Take the discount and use them and abuse them.

If the outsole is separating a little, throw some epoxy in there and press the skate back together. Take the discount and enjoy the skates, they will be just fine.

Zach

Kind of looks like the case of "I spent a lot of money on these skates so they gotta be 110% perfect" :) but they do look okay

Just to provide an update 2+ years later.... so if anyone ever has a similar situation, I kept them, nothing ever moved or separated in that spot, used them 2-3 times a week since i got them playing year round. Only damage to the rest of the skate from pucks and sticks and the tongue is ripped in certain spots along the edges.

Mine look the same, coming up on a year of having them, I play 2-3 times a week...the boot is not separating, no damage other than cosmetic...

If people saw the materials on their own and how the skate is assembled I don't think they would panic so quickly. That carbon outsole offers very little in terms of structural integrity to the boot. It's very much cosmetic. One of the initial problems they had was bonding a composite outsole to the toe cap with is polymer based. They added a thin felt type material between the two and took care of the bonding problem. If that outsole pulls away a little it really isn't that big of a deal. It's certainly not terminal like it would have been 10-15 years ago.