Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Supplemental Discpline 2013-14

I see it as good only in the sense that he can now request a neutral arbitrator to hear the next level appeal, a new item in the cba. There should not be a10 game disparity between Neal and Thornton from that game. I hope the nhlpa use this as a test case

I see it as good only in the sense that he can now request a neutral arbitrator to hear the next level appeal, a new item in the cba. There should not be a10 game disparity between Neal and Thornton from that game. I hope the nhlpa use this as a test case

So an interesting question. I agree there shouldn't be a 10 game disparity, but that is because Neal's was too short, not because Thorton's was too long. What is the logic to be applied? Should an arbitrator compare it to other suspensions or should he mediate based upon the correct suspension based on the incident? IMO, if the former, the NHL should just quit trying to pretend it is cracking down on these incidents, that is the mentality of school children trying to point the finger at others for their actions. If the latter, then there is hope, because putting a stake in the ground and applying unbiased logic is the only way they will make any progress in curbing this behavior.

Anyone else see the Fredrick Roy tirade at the Spengler today? I didn't see the game...so I'm not sure what the penalty was for...but he goes OFF!

Does the IIHF have any discplinary cause for verbal abuse of official?

It looks like he was having a cow with the ref.

It looks like he was having a cow with the ref.

Yikes. And I thought the refs wearing white helmets in europe was bad. Those cow jerseys... yikes.

Kreider with a 5 and game for boarding, I wouldn't expect a suspension for it. It really wasn't much of a hit but Tyutin went face first into the boards.

Hartnell should sit for a while after his head shot today. Engelland got 5 for a play that was more bang bang than this one, Hartnell had a long time to look and line up the hit.

How about PK Subban's crosscheck to the back of Jonathan Toews, about 4 feet from the boards, that sent Toews head first into the boards? Toews could have broken his neck the way he went in, and I thought you were not supposed to check (or crosscheck) if you see the #'s. I doubt the video will get uploaded to YouTube, I wish I noted the time of it. I think it was around midway through the 2nd period, at which time the Hawks trailed 1-0. The refs of course missed the call, but did not hesitate to call the Hawks for about 4 penalties for breathing on the Canadiens to that point in the game.

How about PK Subban's crosscheck to the back of Jonathan Toews, about 4 feet from the boards, that sent Toews head first into the boards? Toews could have broken his neck the way he went in, and I thought you were not supposed to check (or crosscheck) if you see the #'s. I doubt the video will get uploaded to YouTube, I wish I noted the time of it. I think it was around midway through the 2nd period, at which time the Hawks trailed 1-0. The refs of course missed the call, but did not hesitate to call the Hawks for about 4 penalties for breathing on the Canadiens to that point in the game.

As soon as I saw Wes McCauley was working the game, I knew something was going to happen. They keep saying that he is one of the best in the league but he ignores stuff like that in every game.

Bortuzzo should miss a couple for his leap and arm extension on Giordano last night.

Elbow position is a red herring unless it happens before contact. And leap is a little hyperbole. AO used to "leap" about 3x that far to hit. That's is the result of a really tall guy getting a very good hit in.

Glad the officials in the game didn't agree with you.

This is the NHL, what the officials think or do has little bearing on reality. We'll see what the czar has to say but haven't heard anything yet.

So, I'm thinking Torts will be suspended until the Olympic break and a $25k fine, Hartley will get a $10k fine, just because.

I was waiting for Tortorella to do something like that, but the hallway confrontation was beyond expectations. Ludicrous. Tops the Patrick Roy stuff.

This one is tough. A few places where this breaks down.

First, I imagine torts considered how poorly the "putting skilled guys out to diffuse the situation" concept worked in Toronto. He likely concluded it was going to happen anyway, so he matched with his tough guys.

WTF was Hartley thinking, starting those players in the first place?

Obviously Torts is going to have the book thrown at him for his shenanigans in the intermission.

And most if all, I feel bad for that Vancouver rookie. His NHL debut lasted 2 seconds. He shouldn't have been on the ice for this crap.

I'm 100% pro-fighting in hockey, but not for absolutely no reason like this.

WTF was Hartley thinking, starting those players in the first place?

The reasons I heard were that line had played well in their previous game and was starting as:

1. A reward for their play in the last game

2. To try and start the game with some energy

3. To set a physical tone for the game

A couple other things to consider:

Brian Burke loves tough hockey and Bob Hartley is trying to keep his job with very little experienced NHL talent on the roster.

Vancouver had to answer a lot of questions about toughness after playing LA

Getting ejected two seconds into your first NHL game has to be a record

In this case, I do not have a problem with what Torts did. He is standing up for his players, and standing up for the way that he thinks the game should be played. Calgary Coach started some nonsense, and Torts wanted to finish it. Can't fault for Torts for that. Why should coaches be able to initiate garbage and hide behind the bench/ their players/ locked doors. Seems rather cowardly to me (to initiate violence, and then cower and hide). I get that fighting has a place in the game and all, and I am all for 2 goons consensually squaring off and allowing the two teams to discharge emotions through the bloodsportishness of the fight, but the nonconsensual/ uncalled for goonery has no place in what is an otherwise great game, IMO.

Putting the guys on the ice is one thing, although still adhering to the mouth breather philosophy of hockey, but going in the locker room is way over the line. I am sure that will get more play in the media than any beautiful hockey play that occurred last night.

I don't see that Tortorella had a lot of choice regarding who to start. I'd like to see Hartley get nailed, because it seems he was just looking for trouble, but I'm sure it won't happen. I heard what he said, but it was total BS. Take a look at who he usually starts, and who usually takes the first face-off for him.

I agree that Tortorella's actions in the hall will likely draw more attention and punishment. It's a shame that that may overshadow the problems at the start of the game, and help the NHL to deflect attention from that. Too that consideration didn't prevent him from making that scene.

I'm looking forward to see what Fraser writes on this, especially his opinion on what the officials might have done to prevent it. He usually considers that angle.

I agree with Wrangler, Torts didn't really have a choice on who to start. You can't risk putting the Sedin's out there and watching them get jumped off the opening faceoff. I have Tortorella's back 100% on the start of the game; however the intermission incident is a little bit extreme.

So, what does it say about Brian McGratton as a player, when the team is instantly down 4 guys and everyone is playing ridiculous minutes, and he STILL played less than 3 minutes in the entire game. I was double checking the game sheet to see if I got tossed at some point. He had shifts in the second...and I don't see any penalties other than the 15 minutes off the top at :02. Tom Sestito even managed 8+ minutes.

Vancouver took 9 penalties against Phoenix in their last game, 16 for 73 minutes in the game before that and 14 for 9 minutes in the game before that. To some degree, Hartley wasn't out of line in saying that putting that line out was defensive in nature.

As for Torts, his options were not limited to the Sedins or the fourth line. He could have easily put out guys like Kesler and Burrows that could take advantage of a fourth line but are still more than capable of defending themselves.